My Thoughts On 2016 WNBA Draft Picks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Thoughts On 2016 WNBA Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Call me biased but Tiffany Mitchell has looked better than both shooting guards that went ahead of her, Banham and Powers..
Powers has looked really good - I would put them in a tie I think - utilized differently but both look very good. I was never sold on Banham in the same way that KML was a bit questionable - great shooters/scorers in college, but ...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Call me biased but Tiffany Mitchell has looked better than both shooting guards that went ahead of her, Banham and Powers..
I've seen a little of all three. Powers looked good in one game, not in another. Mitchell has been consistently a factor. I'm pleasantly surprised. Good for her!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I always considered Powers to be a SF..... but your point is well taken. Dropping all the way to #9 might turn into a blessing in disguise

Reaction Score
Does nobody see the similarities between Banham and Lindsay Whalen? Whalen was pretty good right from the start, but there were a lot of questions about her athleticism and ability. Banham has the same body type as Whalen. She moves like Whalen. She seems to have good court vision and awareness like Whalen. Whalen has developed into a great player. If Banham can continue to model her game after hers, she may end up being great. Point guard is a very demanding position and it may take time, but there is still much reason to hope that she can take that leap, although it may come after her second or third season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does nobody see the similarities between Banham and Lindsay Whalen? Whalen was pretty good right from the start, but there were a lot of questions about her athleticism and ability. Banham has the same body type as Whalen. She moves like Whalen. She seems to have good court vision and awareness like Whalen. Whalen has developed into a great player. If Banham can continue to model her game after hers, she may end up being great. Point guard is a very demanding position and it may take time, but there is still much reason to hope that she can take that leap, although it may come after her second or third season.
The build may be similar, but Lindsay is probably more solid and in better shape. She's also a much better passer and not primarily a scorer. I'd like to see Rachel succeed. She certainly added excitement to the WCBB season.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Your keyboard to God's monitor. :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I remember Lindsay Whalen as a rookie. She was always driving to the basket and getting fouled, and she could make some acrobatic layups on those drives, often for and-1's. When Geno got her for the 2012 Olympic team tryouts, he commented on how she was always trying to "move the chains", which I thought was a perfect description of her playing style.

I haven't seen any of that in Rachel Banham, but they do come from the same school.

Reaction Score
There are definitely differences between Banham and Whalen. No doubt. Banham ended up sixth all-time in points scored in the NCAA. Whalen was much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom