My Thoughts On 2016 WNBA Draft Picks | The Boneyard

My Thoughts On 2016 WNBA Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seattle had about 5 or 6 players in double figures. I am impress because even the games they lost were very close games.

I am convince KML needs to be traded.

Tuck played a pretty decent game when given more minutes. Tuck needs to start. Her and Jones (2 Rookies) have been impressive. The other #4 Pick from Minnesota not so impressive yet. And she was anointed this great shooter.

The former #1 DRAFT Pick on the Suns out of Stanford, I don't know what her issues are but she needs to come around quick. I understand she came off an injury but let's go, not now, right now.

The stars need more weapons. Hopefully they can continue to draft good players and build in the future because Mo will get better.

Reaction Score
Seattle had about 5 or 6 players in double figures. I am impress because even the games they lost were very close games.

I am convince KML needs to be traded.

Tuck played a pretty decent game when given more minutes. Tuck needs to start. Her and Jones (2 Rookies) have been impressive. The other #4 Pick from Minnesota not so impressive yet. And she was anointed this great shooter.

The former #1 DRAFT Pick on the Suns out of Stanford, I don't know what her issues are but she needs to come around quick. I understand she came off an injury but let's go, not now, right now.

The stars need more weapons. Hopefully they can continue to draft good players and build in the future because Mo will get better.

I'm hopeful Seattle has one more down year so they can get one more top tier pick. Then I can watch them for years being a title threat.

I think this team is perfect for KML as Stewie and Jewel get better and they get one more player with height with shot blocking ability. Offensively she gets shots but misses.

I thought Tuck played well.

Banham doesn't look very good at all.

San Antonio might be in trouble for the next 2 years maybe 3. They were a bad team last year and then they lost their star guard during the summer. So this year they won't be good. Next year I don't believe there is a superstar- so they'll get a good player but then they'll be integrating that player and their star guard- at best they would be a bottom tier playoff team. Too bad- a player like Kayla McBride is one terrific talent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KML got to camp only a few days before the season started because of European play and it shows. Sue looks really good this year and is playing more and more effectively than she did last year. Langhorne had her first really effective game but is still a defensive liability. Clark has some very good moments and Loyd has been really good.

Chiney has looked pretty terrible so far - but it is going to take time to recover. Bone is impressing me even with her missing hippies in this game. Tuck is starting to figure things out. Banham looks better than I thought she would in terms of pace and quickness, but she has yet to start hitting consistently.

Moriah has looked pretty good to me - 80% (4-5) on threes but struggling inside the arc - that team is just a struggle, and while Moriah I think was the second best player in the draft I still cannot comprehend why SA didn't trade that pick for someone's starter and a high draft pick - Jones and ____, Powers and ______, Boyette and ____, even Copper and _____ would have made much more sense from a team building perspective - when you have such limited talent and most of it resides in the backcourt getting two for one rather than adding to the guard talent on the team seems like a no-brainer. Moriah may be the second coming of Sue (but that is a gamble!) and you could get a proven player plus someone who might be the second coming of _____ at a position of need.

Reaction Score
KML got to camp only a few days before the season started because of European play and it shows. Sue looks really good this year and is playing more and more effectively than she did last year. Langhorne had her first really effective game but is still a defensive liability. Clark has some very good moments and Loyd has been really good.

Chiney has looked pretty terrible so far - but it is going to take time to recover. Bone is impressing me even with her missing hippies in this game. Tuck is starting to figure things out. Banham looks better than I thought she would in terms of pace and quickness, but she has yet to start hitting consistently.

Moriah has looked pretty good to me - 80% (4-5) on threes but struggling inside the arc - that team is just a struggle, and while Moriah I think was the second best player in the draft I still cannot comprehend why SA didn't trade that pick for someone's starter and a high draft pick - Jones and ____, Powers and ______, Boyette and ____, even Copper and _____ would have made much more sense from a team building perspective - when you have such limited talent and most of it resides in the backcourt getting two for one rather than adding to the guard talent on the team seems like a no-brainer. Moriah may be the second coming of Sue (but that is a gamble!) and you could get a proven player plus someone who might be the second coming of _____ at a position of need.

Well put. And yes Powers & Mitchell is looking decent. I always thought the Suns should have brought in a big with Tuck or Courtney Williams the shooter.

In fact anyone knows how Courtney Williams is doing so far.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well put. And yes Powers & Mitchell is looking decent. I always thought the Suns should have brought in a big with Tuck or Courtney Williams the shooter.

Surprisingly to me, she is getting almost no playing time after looking pretty good in preseason - with Phoenix struggling they have been trying to get the front line players up to speed rather than develop the rookie.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Waived 5/9 and not picked up by anyone so far. EDIT: Oh, you mean the Phoenix Courtney... nevermind.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That's an interesting fan base. The W is somewhat counter-culture in its own way, I suppose. :cool:

Reaction Score
Waived 5/9 and not picked up by anyone so far. EDIT: Oh, you mean the Phoenix Courtney... nevermind.

Not the one who came out of Texas A&M. I think USF IF I'M RIGHT.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. While the strategy of getting 2 good players (instead of 1 awesome one) is best if you need to get good NOW, the WNBA is different. In order to win championships, you need to have at least 3 elite players (or 2 phenomenal players), and it's far easier to acquire said players if you have the first or second pick. If you are always picking 4th, your pick has a much greater chance to be good (but not great). I think the braintrust in San Antonio (which is now Ruth Riley) is daring to be great, which means they will suck the next 2 years. But then, look out! Their emerging nucleus is pretty good and will improve with time (McBride, Jefferson, Hamby). By parting ways with Jia Perkins, they made their intent clear -- they don't want to win yet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. While the strategy of getting 2 good players (instead of 1 awesome one) is best if you need to get good NOW, the WNBA is different. In order to win championships, you need to have at least 3 elite players (or 2 phenomenal players), and it's far easier to acquire said players if you have the first or second pick. If you are always picking 4th, your pick has a much greater chance to be good (but not great). I think the braintrust in San Antonio (which is now Ruth Riley) is daring to be great, which means they will suck the next 2 years. But then, look out! Their emerging nucleus is pretty good and will improve with time (McBride, Jefferson, Hamby). By parting ways with Jia Perkins, they made their intent clear -- they don't want to win yet.
But they already have a NT caliber point guard and a very good back up point guard - love Moriah, but she isn't a Griner/Stewart/EDD kind of unique player. I agree they are a few years away from competing, and with Robinson injured this year was going to be a struggle.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Remember that the Sun traded their #1 pick in 2017 to LA as part of the deal to get Jonquel Jones (along with Chelsea Gray). It now is looking as if that will be a lottery pick -- possibly the #1 overall pick. So no one should expect a big increase in their talent level next year. If they are to be successful next year, it will be by developing this year's roster.

And to think that they could have had Jones simply by drafting her with the #4 pick, without giving up Gray or the pick next year. But then they wouldn't have had Rachel Banham (gasp!).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Remember that the Sun traded their #1 pick in 2017 to LA as part of the deal to get Jonquel Jones (along with Chelsea Gray). It now is looking as if that will be a lottery pick -- possibly the #1 overall pick. So no one should expect a big increase in their talent level next year. If they are to be successful next year, it will be by developing this year's roster.

And to think that they could have had Jones simply by drafting her with the #4 pick, without giving up Gray or the pick next year. But then they wouldn't have had Rachel Banham (gasp!).

And they could have had Powers at #3

psconn

Reaction Score

As I've said before, I was really surprised at the Banham selection. I was sure Jones or Powers were going to be the #4 pick. The Sun then overpaid for Jones although I must say that even though Chelsea has slimmed down and looks to be in much better shape, she's not exactly lighting it up. I'm not giving up on Rachel yet, but it is rare in this league for someone to take a giant step up after an unimpressive rookie year. Skylar did it, maybe Rachel can too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seattle had the obvious choice and made it.
Stars had #2 and were guard strong and so they took a guard
The Sun traded away Williams who is looking solid so they had the 3rd and 4th picks and were power forward strong so they took a power forward and a shooting guard and traded away 2017 first rounder and a guard to get a replacement for Williams

I think I could be a WNBA GM!

psconn

Reaction Score
And they could have had Powers at #3

I guess you would be an LA fan this year Triad (Gray/Beard)?
SA maybe (Peters/Currie)?

As long as your fandom is up for "reseeding" every year, I'd go with LA... its going to be easier. :)

Just for fun I ran this comparison... closer than I would have thought.

AVERAGES
PLAYER
- --- G -- MIN -- FGM -- FGA -- FG% -- 3 PM -- 3PA -- 3P% -- FTM -- FTA -- FT% -- OREB -- DREB -- REB -- AST -- STL - - BLK -- TO -- PTS
Rachel Banham 5 - 13.2 - 1.2 - 3.2 - 37.5 - 0.6 - 2.6 - 23.1 - 0.4 - 0.4 - 100 - 0.2 - 0.8 - 1 - 0.8 - 0.8 - 0 - 0.6 - 3.4
Chelsea Gray --- 5 - 11.2 - 1.2 - 3.2 - 3 7.5 - 0 - 0.8 - 0 - 0.4 - 0.4 - 100 - 0.2 - 1.6 - 1.8 - 1.6 - 0.2 - 0 - 1.2 - 2.8

Can't seem to align the columns... looks right when I type then... boom.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I've said before, I was really surprised at the Banham selection. I was sure Jones or Powers were going to be the #4 pick. The Sun then overpaid for Jones although I must say that even though Chelsea has slimmed down and looks to be in much better shape, she's not exactly lighting it up. I'm not giving up on Rachel yet, but it is rare in this league for someone to take a giant step up after an unimpressive rookie year. Skylar did it, maybe Rachel can too.
I'm not sure I agree with the last part. Being a rookie in the WNBA is really unlike being a rookie elsewhere. The pro season comes immediately after the college season, especially for players whose teams go deep into the NCAA tourney. The players have little or no time to prepare. Jewell struggled last year and lost her starting job, as did Skylar before her. (Is it a ND thing? ;)) I think that WNBA players tend to have a sophomore leap like college players. Maya was good as a rookie, but not dominant. Other players substantially improved between years 1 and 2 or 1 and 3.

psconn

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with the last part. Being a rookie in the WNBA is really unlike being a rookie elsewhere. The pro season comes immediately after the college season, especially for players whose teams go deep into the NCAA tourney. The players have little or no time to prepare. Jewell struggled last year and lost her starting job, as did Skylar before her. (Is it a ND thing? ;)) I think that WNBA players tend to have a sophomore leap like college players. Maya was good as a rookie, but not dominant. Other players substantially improved between years 1 and 2 or 1 and 3.

Point well taken and since your conjecture on the sophomore leap plays directly into my hopes and dreams for the future, I'm going with it.
RELAX RACHEL... TAKE THE LEAP. :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

As long as your fandom is up for "reseeding" every year, I'd go with LA... its going to be easier. :)

AVERAGES
PLAYER
- --- G -- MIN -- FGM -- FGA -- FG% -- 3 PM -- 3PA -- 3P% -- FTM -- FTA -- FT% -- OREB -- DREB -- REB -- AST -- STL - - BLK -- TO -- PTS
Rachel Banham 5 - 13.2 - 1.2 - 3.2 - 37.5 - 0.6 - 2.6 - 23.1 - 0.4 - 0.4 - 100 - 0.2 - 0.8 - 1 - 0.8 - 0.8 - 0 - 0.6 - 3.4
Chelsea Gray --- 5 - 11.2 - 1.2 - 3.2 - 3 7.5 - 0 - 0.8 - 0 - 0.4 - 0.4 - 100 - 0.2 - 1.6 - 1.8 - 1.6 - 0.2 - 0 - 1.2 - 2.8

Actually it is between the Sparks and the Sun. I root for Parker because her husband is one of my all time favorite Duke players...... and I also root for Hamby since she went to Wake Forest and she is my all time favorite WCBB player who didnt go to Duke. So its basically 2.5 Duke players so I give the slight edge to the Sparks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Point well taken and since your conjecture on the sophomore leap plays directly into my hopes and dreams for the future, I'm going with it.
RELAX RACHEL... TAKE THE LEAP. :D
It's too early to tell. The concerns that some folks had were "is she quick enough and athletic enough?" It would serve her well to become as lean and fit as possible. But if/when she starts knocking shots down, people will be happy. The jury is still out and may be out for 12 months or more.

psconn

Reaction Score
Actually it is between the Sparks and the Sun. I root for Parker because her husband is one of my all time favorite Duke players. and I also root for Hamby since she went to Wake Forest and she is my all time favorite WCBB player who didnt go to Duke. So its basically 2.5 Duke players so I give the slight edge to the Sparks.

Glad to have you still on board (40% on board anyway). You must be happy for Jaz. This is as good (or better) than I've seen her play in her career.

psconn

Reaction Score
It's too early to tell. The concerns that some folks had were "is she quick enough and athletic enough?" It would serve her well to become as lean and fit as possible. But if/when she starts knocking shots down, people will be happy. The jury is still out and may be out for 12 months or more.

Totally agree. As I said in another thread, we'll have a much clearer picture about mid-next season. I'd like to see her make the body-change that Alex Bentley made last year or that Chelsea Gray made this year. Her quickness on D is a bit of a problem right now.

Reaction Score

Yes, and how is that starting to look now for the Suns. Not good.

L.A. just made off with a heist and seem to be looking in pretty good shape to strengthen their team. As if they really need to.

They look good on paper already and is now finally coming together with all those former 5 star college players, geez.

What they do with the pick - giving how high it will be - is going to be very interesting.

Reaction Score

AVERAGES
PLAYER

"Can't seem to align the columns... looks right when I type then... boom."

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member