My Thoughts After USF Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Thoughts After USF Game

Reaction Score
I think you are thinking of Scott McCummings. Nebrich really never got a chance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have to agree with this assessment: Recruitment of qbs. was not a huge problem for HCRE Version 1.0. He learned from his mistakes of not recruiting the position during the Orlovsky years (Bones was no replacement). Tyler Lorenzen was more than adequate until his hand injury as his NFL tryout attests. Randy can't be blamed for Cody Endres smoking himself off of the roster. Frazer seized the moment when given the opportunity & I've often wondered how much better he'd have been if he had signed on with the Huskies directly out of high school instead of the failed experiment in South Bend. Finally, wasn't the qb that Pasqualoni ran off & who Joe Moorehead brought to Fordham an Edsall recruit?

FWIW - Lorenzen played TE in the NFL.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Teams game plan around him. They love to throw in his direction. It's a freebie unless the QB misfires.

You think that's going to remain the case the rest of his FBS career?

He's playing like anyone else would expect a true freshman to. Holding his own against the middle and bottom of the pack, and getting embarrassed by SEC and ranked teams. Not my fault you set ridiculously unrealistic expectations.

Reaction Score
Swann has been eaten alive by every team.

Really? Swann? I thought he played better than Summers and Bell. Bell and Summers has been eaten alive, but I the Freshman’s has been holding up very well. This defense will be a lot better next year.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Really? Swann? I thought he played better than Summers and Bell. Bell and Summers has been eaten alive, but I the Freshman’s has been holding up very well. This defense will be a lot better next year.

The freshman have gotten lambasted whenever they perform the way one would expect them to against objectively good offenses. People were calling for Bell to permanently replace THW in the lineup after the Memphis game - would Bell really have done better?

Reaction Score

Summers and Bell have not played well at all. But they have played better than Swann. I feel bad for him that he is kept out there. He is severely overmatched. Teams are specifically targeting his side of the field for wr screens.

Reaction Score
Summers and Bell have not played well at all. But they have played better than Swann. I feel bad for him that he is kept out there. He is severely overmatched. Teams are specifically targeting his side of the field for wr screens.

What are we talking about here. All of the Db’s are overmatched. I guess that is why we give up 500 - 700 yards through the air. We should expect Swann, Taj and the rest of the Fr/So to be outmatched a lot of the times. But, we shouldn’t expect that out of Bell and Summers.

Reaction Score
Most DBs in college football who are the cream of the crop are juniors or seniors
I don't see many freshmen becoming AAs or even All conference due to the fact that in high school it is not a "key" or prominent position.
These freshmen at UConn do not look good vs the older, bigger and stronger guys they are facing but I think in a year or two they will look very different
If I'm wrong - RE has an unbelievable uphill battle ahead of him
Not only that but many coll ge dbacks played other positions like running back or reciever or qb as their “primary” position in high school. And relied mostly on superior athleticism and strength. Learning the proper techniques that are needed to play at the D1 level takes time. No guarantee that any individual player will be better but I fully expect the position group as a whole to improve comparably to what we have seen from the oline over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree.
Since Swann's been a starter, IMO, yes he has.. He's undersized and not physical enough to play the position, right now... it's like a boy playing against a grown man out there.. He needs support behind him... Where's the Safety to break down and get a hold of the WR if he gets by Swann on an out pattern? Safety might be there, but incompetent tackling on his part ALSO, makes things even worse.... Wrap the guy up at least...WRs shouldn't just catch an out pattern then pivot turn and run 30 to 95 yards down field consistently... It's happened consistently against us...inexcusable...

Reaction Score
I think you are thinking of Scott McCummings. Nebrich really never got a chance.
Could be, but ... "Appeared in eight games as a freshman at Connecticut... completed five of 14 passes for 69 yards and rushed eight times for ten net yards."

Think that those nine incompletions played a role. As I recall, two were very long passes to a wide open receiver that would have scored but the passes were bad. He was a true freshman as I recall and probably just needed to get comfortable.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Since Swann's been a starter, IMO, yes he has.. He's undersized and not physical enough to play the position, right now... it's like a boy playing against a grown man out there.. He needs support behind him... Where's the Safety to break down and get a hold of the WR if he gets by Swann on an out pattern? Safety might be there, but incompetent tackling on his part ALSO, makes things even worse.... Wrap the guy up at least...WRs shouldn't just catch an out pattern then pivot turn and run 30 to 95 yards down field consistently... It's happened consistently against us...inexcusable...

So does all of that mean he will never be able to play in the secondary and needs to be switched to offense?

Reaction Score
So does all of that mean he will never be able to play in the secondary and needs to be switched to offense?
Notice the part where I said "He's undersized and not physical enough to play the position, right now... "??? Right now, he's overmatched.. Next year, probably a different story... He's got moxy... You want a kid like that playing out there... He needs help out there though... right now...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom