My spellchecker disses Tennessee | The Boneyard

My spellchecker disses Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I tried to post "Vols" my spell checker suggested "voles."

So I went to Wikipedia: (p.s. Dogs are listed as one of their predators.) :p
It was spot on. So, I guess they didn't have a spell checker when they adopted their mascot.

Description

Voles are small rodents that grow to 3–9 in (7.6–23 cm), depending on the species. They can have five to 10 litters per year. Gestation lasts for three weeks and the young voles reach sexual maturity in a month. As a result of this exponential growth, vole populations can grow very large within a very short period of time. Since litters average five to 10 young, a single pregnant vole can result in a hundred or more active voles in less than a year.
Voles are commonly mistaken for other small animals. Moles, gophers, mice, rats and even shrews have similar characteristics and behavioral tendencies. Since voles will commonly use burrows with many exit holes, they can be mistaken for gophers or some kind of ground squirrel.
They will readily thrive on small plants. Like shrews, they will eat dead animals and, like mice or rats, they can live on almost any nut or fruit. Additionally, voles will target plants more than most other small animals, making their presence evident. Voles will readily girdle small trees and ground cover much like a porcupine. This girdling can easily kill young plants and is not healthy for trees or other shrubs.
Voles will often eat succulent root systems and will burrow under plants or ground cover and eat away until the plant is dead. Bulbs in the ground are another favorite target for voles; their excellent burrowing and tunnelling skills give them access to sensitive areas without clear or early warning. The presence of large numbers of voles is often only identifiable after they have destroyed a number of plants.[1] However, like other burrowing rodents, they also play beneficial roles, including dispersing nutrients throughout the upper soil layers.[2]

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We had an invasion of voles a few years ago. I trapped a full team of them and took them all to the local cemetery. Seemed appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom