My solution | The Boneyard

My solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posted this in another thread but think it deserves it's own.

UCONN/RU and ND should approach the ACC about adding 4 teams. UConn and RU for all sports, ND and Gtown for olympic. If Maryland is against Gtown go with ND and Temple for Olympic. Or go for an even 20/10 AND 10 league. UConn/RU (all) and ND/Gtown/Nova/St Johns Olympic. It would be a cash cow. Big markets and Big basketball. It would also get the ACC into MSG. Not sure why I am the one who has to think of these things. Someone at UConn should be suggesting this.

And before anyone says the Catholics wont break up....guess what...they will if the money is right...and the money would be right.

The ACC needs Bball and Football for big $$$. This solution would provide it. Anyone have Herbst email address?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Couldn't hurt to test the waters on this. I think the crucial question is, how much $$$ do we need to dangle in front of Nova/GTown/St. Johns to get them to ditch Marquette, PC and SHU?

Oh, and Depaul? I always forget about DePaul.

Reaction Score
Couldn't hurt to test the waters on this. I think the crucial question is, how much $$$ do we need to dangle in front of Nova/GTown/St. Johns to get them to ditch Marquette, PC and SHU?

Oh, and Depaul? I always forget about DePaul.

The bigger question is how much money would those schools lose if the Big East fell apart...and it is falling apart. They stand would make more and be in a more stable conference. Depaul, Marquetts, SHU and PC would all go to the A10 or some other conference where they truly belong anyways.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think there's some reasonable concern that the hybrid conference model hasn't exactly turned out to be a resounding success for the Big East.

The other question would be : would your approach increase everyone's per-team payout? The conferences will (theoretically) stop at the point where each team is maximizing it's revenue. It's not necessarily linear.

Other than that though, I'd be all for your plan if it were to happen. Just don't know how likely that is.

Reaction Score
Not a bad idea, but I can't see it happening. There has to be a break-even point for the networks/conferences, I don't know where it is, but I don't think anyone wants to risk 20 before trying out 14/16.

Reaction Score
I think the per team revenue goes up because you add Big markets in NYC/Philly/DC/NJ/CT. You add basketball powerhouses and at the end of the day ratings are about perception. It would be the greatest assembly of basketball schools ever. Football payouts would remain the same. Basketball payouts would increase. It makes sense for the ACC and most of all it would make sense for ESPN.

The hybrid would work because the Olympic schools wouldn't have any power over policy. The problem with the Big East was that it was an 8/8 split so nothing could ever be accomplished. In this setup the bball schools would collect a check and keep their mouths shut and with a 16 - 4 advantage the football schools would still have control over the important issues.

Reaction Score

UCONN/RU and ND should approach the ACC about adding 4 teams. UConn and RU for all sports, ND and Gtown for olympic. If Maryland is against Gtown go with ND and Temple for Olympic. Or go for an even 20/10 AND 10 league. UConn/RU (all) and ND/Gtown/Nova/St Johns Olympic. It would be a cash cow. Big markets and Big basketball. It would also get the ACC into MSG. Not sure why I am the one who has to think of these things. Someone at UConn should be suggesting this.

And before anyone says the Catholics wont break up....guess what...they will if the money is right...and the money would be right.

The ACC needs Bball and Football for big $$$. This solution would provide it. Anyone have Herbst email address?

I like this idea a lot. I think they'd go for it if ND approached them and said look this is what we want take it or leave it.

Reaction Score
If we just humor it for a second.

Two divisions.

North: BC, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, St. John's, Villanova, Pitt, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Maryland
South: Virginia, VT, UNC, Duke, NC State, WF, Clemson, GT, UM, FSU

You act like their two different conferences, more or less, and play 18 games (home and away) against your division. Take 16 for conference tournament. 8 Northern teams play in MSG one night; 8 southern teams in Greensboro. Of remaining 8 teams, set it up like SEC tournament did, and have it in MSG.

I'd watch.

Too bad that isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score

UCONN/RU and ND should approach the ACC about adding 4 teams.

Too much like begging... Just ask Waylon.

Reaction Score

This all sounds good for UConn and the other BE leftovers. What is the benefit to the ACC teams? Has to be a profitable proposition on both sides of the ledger.

Why does the ACC want to get into the same situation with ND that the BE football teams hate so much?

Reaction Score
This all sounds good for UConn and the other BE leftovers. What is the benefit to the ACC teams? Has to be a profitable proposition on both sides of the ledger.

Why does the ACC want to get into the same situation with ND that the BE football teams hate so much?

They might actually make some inroads into the Boston market.

Reaction Score

They wouldn't. They could structure things appropriately from the beginning. The bball schools run the Big East. The concept isn't just good for UConn, its good for everbody because its compelling television. The ACC basketball product is boring as hell after Duke, UNC and sometimes MD. Adding Pitt and Cuse helps that for sure, but being the undisputed best brings the viewers (see SEC football) and this conference would be best in basketball. It would also provide more winter programming and an amazing conference tourney. Basically, if the ACC wants to destroy the Big East because it presents competition, destroy it and take all the best pieces not just a handful. The power structure has been the Big East's problem, not the model.

Reaction Score
How much do you have to dangle in front of GT/Nova/SJU to get them to leave PC/Marquette/SHU/Depaul? Probably not much more than a Bic Mac Value Meal.

Reaction Score
They might actually make some inroads into the Boston market.
Funny story on the Boston market, Boston Globe sports page: http://www.boston.com/sports/?p1=Well_Sports_Banner

Here, you will find a headline story that a reserve UConn basketball player who did not play last year needs surgery on his broken ankle. The only other local college sports story is buried at the bottom. It's about how the PC hockey team is off to a great start (including a win over BU :mad:) after defeating UMass. That's all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a source that has assured me that a plan is in place for UConn's future.

Follow this scenario: Missouri to the SEC. B12 takes WV, Louisville and Cinci. The BB onlies make good on their threat to leave. USF to the SEC. RU to the B10. UConn, as last man standing makes $50 mil from the football schools, $40 mil from the BB onlies, plus picks up another $60 mil in NCAA residual money (ok I made that up). The next day we get the ACC invite. We use the money for a new BB facility, expanding the Rent, converting Memorial Stadium into a soccer stadium and, oh what the heck, maybe a decent baseball stadium on campus.

See people, all is well. Of course, my source is my neighbor's dog, Sam, but he'd never lead me wrong, would he?

Reaction Score
How much do you have to dangle in front of GT/Nova/SJU to get them to leave PC/Marquette/SHU/Depaul? Probably not much more than a Bic Mac Value Meal.
supersize that and you got a deal

Reaction Score

Because they are a stable football conference with or without ND. What the BE FB schools hated the most was that we needed help to become more stable in football and they have one foot in and one foot out.

Reaction Score
I have a source that has assured me that a plan in place for UConn future. Follow this scenario: B12 takes WV, Louisville and Cinci. The BB onlies make good on their threat to leave. USF to the SEC. RU to the B10. UConn, as last man standing makes $50 mil from the football schools, $40 mil from the BB onlies, plus picks up another $60 mil in NCAA residual money (ok I made that up). The next day we get the ACC invite. We use the money for a new BB facility, expanding the Rent, converting Memorial Stadium into a soccer stadium and, oh what the heck, maybe a decent baseball stadium on campus.

See people, all is well. Of course, my source is my neighbor's dog, Sam, but he'd never lead me wrong, would he?
Unveil plans and funding to build a new hockey arena after the BB and FB upgrades and we'll be in Hockey East with their shiny new NBC/Versus TV deal tomorrow.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
CL82, that is the best news I've heard!!! It's foolproof!

Reaction Score
They wouldn't. They could structure things appropriately from the beginning. The bball schools run the Big East. The concept isn't just good for UConn, its good for everbody because its compelling television. The ACC basketball product is boring as hell after Duke, UNC and sometimes MD. Adding Pitt and Cuse helps that for sure, but being the undisputed best brings the viewers (see SEC football) and this conference would be best in basketball. It would also provide more winter programming and an amazing conference tourney. Basically, if the ACC wants to destroy the Big East because it presents competition, destroy it and take all the best pieces not just a handful. The power structure has been the Big East's problem, not the model.

I just do not see the addition of a just basketball/Olympic sports portion of the league will be able to add enough additional revenue to justify that many teams. Although it would improve the overall basketball quality football is the money maker and driving the realignment bus. Basketball is just not adding enough revenue to justify a separate basketball/Olympic division.

Reaction Score

The ACC doesn't lose anything in this solution. The football money remains the same and they gain a few more bowls with ND tie-ins and other games like the one at Yankee Stadium. The biggest thing however is what it would do for basketball. Money, exposure, prestige all increase. It would also be great for ESPN. This conference would guarantee that every college basketball fan on the East Coast will be watching ACC basketball.

Destroying "name" programs is a bad thing for ratings. I am a UConn fan. If UConn's athletic programs go into the tter over the next 10 years due to this mess it's not like I will all of a sudden start watching BC and Cuse. Instead I will just stop watching colllege sports. The same will be said for a large # of eyeballs in CT and NJ. ESPN would be better off pushing the merger. And this product would be worth paying a bit more for.

Someone needs to think of it.

Reaction Score
I just do not see the addition of a just basketball/Olympic sports portion of the league will be able to add enough additional revenue to justify that many teams. Although it would improve the overall basketball quality football is the money maker and driving the realignment bus. Basketball is just not adding enough revenue to justify a separate basketball/Olympic division.

But football wouldn't go up or down. ESPN would pay two additional teams in RU and UConn but what the combined 6 do for basketball and winter eyeballs makes it worth it.

ESPN was already planning to pay RU and UConn 11 million in the old Big East. With the Big East dead, ESPN actually saves and gets an amazing winter product. A better one than what the ACC currently offers.

Reaction Score

Again, I don't understand why the ACC would even consider adding ND without football? I think the ACC has a good chance of having ND come to it when all is said and done. The B10 may have a better chance but the ACC has a good shot. Lots of ND alumni and supporters along the eastern seaboard.

Reaction Score
Again, I don't understand why the ACC would even consider adding ND without football? I think the ACC has a good chance of having ND come to it when all is said and done. The B10 may have a better chance but the ACC has a good shot. Lots of ND alumni and supporters along the eastern seaboard.

Notre Dame is not playing football in a conference until, at the earliest, the day we are down to 4 major conferences. Until then, they are not even in the conversation.

Why would the ACC want them in everything else? Because the ACC believes it is in the interests of their member institutions to do so. Just like the Big East did. Because, despite the conclusions of many, the decision to bring ND into the Big East was not made merely because the Presidents who allowed it were all stupid.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not playing football in a conference until, at the earliest, the day we are down to 4 major conferences. Until then, they are not even in the conversation.

Why would the ACC want them in everything else? Because the ACC believes it is in the interests of their member institutions to do so. Just like the Big East did. Because, despite the conclusions of many, the decision to bring ND into the Big East was not made merely because the Presidents who allowed it were all stupid.

It seems like they are a part of the conversation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom