My Not So Expert Reactions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Not So Expert Reactions

Reaction Score
All of our guards had a horrible night. The team starting out 0-8 or 9 from 3 when Iowa had made 4 put us in the big hole and the guards missed free throws. The turnover ratio was again way up with guards trying to do too much off the bounce. The results of these 2 games remind me of the last time we made the tourney beating Colorado then being non competitive vs Kansas. We have to find a better solution defensively for the front court mismatch we could not solve last night.

Rique looked like our best guard. And he missed, what, 10 3s? I think that says something about how bad they were.

Get in the gym. Beat Cornell.

Reaction Score
We are not a team with incredible talent. Hurley got them sky high for Syracuse but against Iowa that gap , especially in the front court reared its head and we struggled. It will happen from time to time when we play more talented teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need go to guy on this team. Someone who can takeover when we need to calm down or get a bucket.

Reaction Score
This. Jalen Adams has to be the leader on this team this year. Last night was hardly his fault, but this team needs him to be Kemba. Not as good as Kemba -- he isn't that good -- but when this team is badly in need of a bucket, Jalen has to be ready to take over and either get it or create it for someone else. We didn't get that from him last night until the game was decided.

Jalen's first challenge was understanding that he didn't have to do everything for the team to have a chance to win. I think Hurley taught him that quickly and easily. Now it's to understand that there are MOMENTS when he does have to carry the load. I think there is a good chance we get there.
Remember the 2011 season though... we had a terrible record and had to play the first game of the Big East tournament. It was bc the team relied on Kemba to carry the weight. During that amazing run, they worked to trust each other. Kemba wasn’t the only solution.

Reaction Score
Not sure why Hurley likes Yakwe so much. Feel like Whaley offers much more
Yeah, I was screaming at the TV to put him over Yakwe. I think he could do a better job with his added strength and his foot speed on Moore. Maybe his ankle is still troubling him. Yakwe reminds me of another transfer we had last year, DO.

Reaction Score
Rique looked like our best guard. And he missed, what, 10 3s? I think that says something about how bad they were.

Get in the gym. Beat Cornell.
Rique looked like the worst guard to me that played significant minutes. Totally got engulfed by the bigger Iowa guards and over penetrated and turnover the ball too much. He is going to have to learn to recognize bigs collapsing on him sooner and pass the ball. Jalen redeem himself a little with his last 10 minutes of play. Unfortunately we expect a senior Jalen to give a good 30 plus minutes and not just 10.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:

-Gilbert is still very rusty. Sometimes he stumbles or loses the ball for no reason or makes a move and seems surprised he didn’t blow by his guy and doesn’t know quite what to do. I’m not worried about this at all. If he stays healthy he is going to be great.

-yakwe sucks. Give Whaley those minutes.

-Iowa is a good team and a bad matchup for us. They used our aggressiveness against us and punished us for it. That’s an easy plan for a coach to try to implement but it’s very hard to execute...so much credit to them.

-We have a huge hole athletically at the 3/4 spot. Polley was getting bullied. We need Sid on this team. Sid is very slender too but he has athleticism that can make up for it in certain cases.

-I’m still feeling positive about this team.
Agree on most of this except Whaley is hurt. Shouldn't play until healthy. Can't even run down the court right now without limping.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom