My Megan Walker Projections | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Megan Walker Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Actually no I'm not, I think MKW is having a really tough time deciding, between where she wants to go vs. where she feels/knows she will have greater success.. Those statements were just based on the projections of if she went to Storrs.. :)

If it was me personally making the decision it would be a no-brainer, but all is well that ends well... Soon we shall all know whether she wants to be Good, Great or Elite. :)
The "head" vs."heart" decision is what it comes down to for many recruits. I don't know anything about Megan Walker, personally and I don't follow any recruit on social media, ever, so I have no idea if that's the case with her. In the case of Tori McCoy, whom UConn also recruited but chose tOSU, she said she went with heart over head. If she achieves her life goals, even without winning a Natty then it's a good decision. I believe it's the same with any recruit.

Reaction Score
Great article! Choices overlap and it'll finally come to rapport with coaches & players! Who do you want to spend your time with in season & away from BB for 4 years. Educationally the 3 finalists UCONN, ND, TX are excellent institutions where you'll get a degree worth something after graduation & BB plays itself out!
With all that being said, if MW really wants to reach ALL the heights that BB can bring her the only choice IMO is UCONN! The BRAND is already established NCAA Championships, WNBA success, big $ in BB overseas, and joining rosters for World and Olympic Competition! As good as both ND & TX programs are at the present time the ONLY PROGRAM that can almost guarantee all the above is UCONN and you're fooling yourself if you think different!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great article! Choices overlap and it'll finally come to rapport with coaches & players! Who do you want to spend your time with in season & away from BB for 4 years. Educationally the 3 finalists UCONN, ND, TX are excellent institutions where you'll get a degree worth something after graduation & BB plays itself out!
With all that being said, if MW really wants to reach ALL the heights that BB can bring her the only choice IMO is UCONN! The BRAND is already established NCAA Championships, WNBA success, big $ in BB overseas, and joining rosters for World and Olympic Competition! As good as both ND & TX programs are at the present time the ONLY PROGRAM that can almost guarantee all the above is UCONN and you're fooling yourself if you think different!

When was the last time TEXAS was in serious competition for a #1 overall recruit? UConn and Notre Dame fight over top recruits every year. The fact that Texas is in this race at this point, is proof positive that they are on the come, and must be taken seriously.

Don't be surprised if Texas becomes a regular occupant of the top 10 rankings every week this season. They will no doubt become Baylor's biggest rival if they aren't already. They're poised to not only overtake Baylor in the BIG 12 standings, but also in becoming the program of choice for the local blue chip talent in the state. There's a new Sheriff in town in the BIG 12. Their office is in Austin Texas. Yeeee haw. :D

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
This article has more information on the state of her decision-making process: LINK Some excerpts:

“I think I’m going to be successful no matter where I go. You have to see who fits you. A lot of times, people get caught up in the hype of certain programs,” said Walker, who just finished her official visits to Texas, UConn and Notre Dame.

On Walker’s official visits, her father asked Texas what the 2018 recruiting class looks like. He asked UConn where Walker figures on the depth chart. He asked Notre Dame how the Irish see the No. 1 and No. 2 recruits playing together on the same team.

Megan Walker said she’s not too worried about any of that, because she knows the only way she will be successful is if she continues to work hard.

“I know it won’t be easy,” she said. “But I’m a natural-born competitor and I will work with the players that are already there because I want to go somewhere I can play, somewhere there is good competition and somewhere that has good players that can mentor me.”

One question remains: Which school will she pick?

If she knew that answer, she said she would have already committed.

“My goal was the end of (September), but I didn’t expect to be this confused,” she said. “Before now, I only visited UConn, so I didn’t really know what to expect when I went to Texas or Notre Dame.”

Whatever Walker saw or talked about with Texas coach Karen Ashton and Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw was enough to keep them in the running.

“It’s really hard when you talk to the coaches for this long, because after a while they get to know you and you get to know them and you start to develop a relationship with them,” said Walker.

She said she hopes to make a decision before or on signing day. Her mother thinks Nov. 9 is too far away to keep everyone waiting.

“I do think we need to move on,” said Johnetta Walker. “She is a senior. She has activities and we need to start to prepare for her future.”

“I want her to find a school that she will fit in at, a school that will treat her like family,” said Johnetta Walker, “and a school that will be supportive and allow her to follow her basketball dreams.”

1st thing... That article starts by saying she thinks she will be successful no matter where she goes, I guess that depends oh her definition of success.. Each program will provide varying levels of success based on their past résumé, But I do like her confidence in thinking she can reach the same level of success at each one.. :)

2nd, she want to go somewhere she can play, that has good competition, good players that can mentor her, that she will fit in at, a school that will treat her like family,. All three school will provide those conditions, so that should be a non issue and can be tossed out in the decision making process as they all qualify with passing colors to provide those environments..

Finally No matter where she goes, she will build lasting relationships with the people around her.., I find it very amusing to hear teenagers pick a Program based on location/or how it looks etc.. IMHO, The only thing worth consideration when choosing which college/Univ to attend should be cost and Specialty, and since she will have a Full Scholarship, then it should simply be.. which one has the best reputation of getting results for it's students majoring in their particular fields of study.. it should be that simple..

Mom I'm with you, She needs to make the decision, live with it and move on.. Geno, time to start looking at another kid that really wants your expertise and Guidance for the next four years since she openly stated "A lot of times, people get caught up in the hype of certain programs..." I wonder which program(s) she was referring to? Interesting isn't it.. Help the young lady out, withdraw the offer and let Texas (Non Hyped Program?) have her :)

Reaction Score
This article has more information on the state of her decision-making process: LINK Some excerpts:

“I think I’m going to be successful no matter where I go. You have to see who fits you. A lot of times, people get caught up in the hype of certain programs,” said Walker, who just finished her official visits to Texas, UConn and Notre Dame.

On Walker’s official visits, her father asked Texas what the 2018 recruiting class looks like. He asked UConn where Walker figures on the depth chart. He asked Notre Dame how the Irish see the No. 1 and No. 2 recruits playing together on the same team.

Megan Walker said she’s not too worried about any of that, because she knows the only way she will be successful is if she continues to work hard.

“I know it won’t be easy,” she said. “But I’m a natural-born competitor and I will work with the players that are already there because I want to go somewhere I can play, somewhere there is good competition and somewhere that has good players that can mentor me.”

One question remains: Which school will she pick?

If she knew that answer, she said she would have already committed.

“My goal was the end of (September), but I didn’t expect to be this confused,” she said. “Before now, I only visited UConn, so I didn’t really know what to expect when I went to Texas or Notre Dame.”

Whatever Walker saw or talked about with Texas coach Karen Ashton and Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw was enough to keep them in the running.

“It’s really hard when you talk to the coaches for this long, because after a while they get to know you and you get to know them and you start to develop a relationship with them,” said Walker.

She said she hopes to make a decision before or on signing day. Her mother thinks Nov. 9 is too far away to keep everyone waiting.

“I do think we need to move on,” said Johnetta Walker. “She is a senior. She has activities and we need to start to prepare for her future.”

“I want her to find a school that she will fit in at, a school that will treat her like family,” said Johnetta Walker, “and a school that will be supportive and allow her to follow her basketball dreams.”

Great Post

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Well, it is a huge decision. although I would love for her to commit to UCONN today, she really needs to take the time and make the choice that is best for her.
:) If by now it's not clear, It probably never will be clear.. taking her time won't make it any easier and will most likely just add to the confusion.. She might as well follow her heart at this point.. That's what Geno told Sue Bird when he recruited her.. :)

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
The "head" vs."heart" decision is what it comes down to for many recruits. I don't know anything about Megan Walker, personally and I don't follow any recruit on social media, ever, so I have no idea if that's the case with her. In the case of Tori McCoy, whom UConn also recruited but chose tOSU, she said she went with heart over head. If she achieves her life goals, even without winning a Natty then it's a good decision. I believe it's the same with any recruit.
Unfortunately most athletes at that level have winning a National Championship as part of their life's goals.. Some are even willing to transfer from their original choices to attain that illusive feat.. So don't kid yourself, despite what others may say most would trade for the experience if they could..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What will change between today and Nov. 9? I suspect she has too many people whispering in her ear. But, as of now, "late" as it is in the time line of current recruiting and committing, the 3 schools have no in class alternatives who haven't been offered, otherwise an exasperated coaching staff might make her decision less complicated.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
When was the last time TEXAS was in serious competition for a #1 overall recruit? UConn and Notre Dame fight over top recruits every year. The fact that Texas is in this race at this point, is proof positive that they are on the come, and must be taken seriously.

Don't be surprised if Texas becomes a regular occupant of the top 10 rankings every week this season. They will no doubt become Baylor's biggest rival if they aren't already. They're poised to not only overtake Baylor in the BIG 12 standings, but also in becoming the program of choice for the local blue chip talent in the state. There's a new Sheriff in town in the BIG 12. Their office is in Austin Texas. Yeeee haw. :D
According to my ubiquitous, clandestine operatives, Texas and Oklahoma may not be in the Big 12 too much longer, despite the conference's poison pill. Word out of Chicago is that expansion may be on the plate in 2019 for the B1G, SEC, ACC and PAC-10, turning the P5, into the P4 and breaking away from the NCAA. I don't see that as a realistic possibility, but that's what I'm hearing. Revenue and dissatisfaction with NCAA policy and Regs are said to be the driver behind this alleged move.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Unfortunately most athletes at that level have winning a National Championship as part of their life's goals.. Some are even willing to transfer from their original choices to attain that illusive feat.. So don't kid yourself, despite what others may say most would trade for the experience if they could..
You don't mean Azura Stevens and Batuoly Camara, do you?

Reaction Score
You don't mean Azura Stevens and Batuoly Camara, do you?

I tell you this. I want to see Walker at Uconn. Period. And I am not going act and sound like some Uconn fans sending her to ND already.

My faith is strong whether she comes to Uconn or not. I wish her best wherever she goes.

But even if Uconn doesn't land her....GETTING A STEVENS WAS HUGH!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
According to my ubiquitous, clandestine operatives, Texas and Oklahoma may not be in the Big 12 too much longer, despite the conference's poison pill. Word out of Chicago is that expansion may be on the plate in 2019 for the B1G, SEC, ACC and PAC-10, turning the P5, into the P4 and breaking away from the NCAA. I don't see that as a realistic possibility, but that's what I'm hearing. Revenue and dissatisfaction with NCAA policy and Regs are said to be the driver behind this alleged move.

A jail break of that nature would change the landscape of college athletic competition as we know it forever. If that breakaway were to occur, it would truly become a matter of the haves versus the have nots. :confused:

Reaction Score
With or without the Uconn machine will keep chugging along!

Reaction Score
You know what I think? - and not that anyone cares. It's just MHO.

I think Uconn was Waker's first love due to strong interest on Uconn's part early on.

Then somewhere down the road her fame begin to blossom, (Maya Moore type fame). And many others took notice.

Entered ND & Texas and things along the way became a little bit more complicated. Her decision making became a lot more difficult. Not to mention other personal desires which is normal.

I'm praying she recaptures the memory & desire of her First Love. If she does. Sorry ND & Texas.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
A jail break of that nature would change the landscape of college athletic competition as we know it forever. If that breakaway were to occur, it would truly become a matter of the haves versus the have nots. :confused:
It's already that, you don't really believe Houston has a shot at the CFP, do you? If the season plays out(I know that's a huge if) who gets the fourth spot an undefeated Houston team or a one-loss Louisville squad, who only lost to Clemson? I don't see it happening but the impetus is there and it almost came to a head this Summer with the satellite camp issue. NCAA and conference transfer rules are also getting a lot of under the radar talk from college students and from HS players, who see coaches jump from job to job, even after sanctions, with no penalty or having to sit out. The move would change the landscape, but the landscape needs changing.

Reaction Score
It's already that, you don't really believe Houston has a shot at the CFP, do you? If the season plays out(I know that's a huge if) who gets the fourth spot an undefeated Houston team or a one-loss Louisville squad, who only lost to Clemson?
Question is academic - Houston plays Louisville on November 17 so, assuming neither loses another game, if Houston goes undefeated then Louisville will have 2 losses.

Reaction Score
When was the last time TEXAS was in serious competition for a #1 overall recruit?

Wasn't it last year? Joyner Holmes.

Texas was impressive in the 2016's Bpt regional. Whether the current run ends in ff appearances or (omigod) a title or three, Texas will always be the answer to "1st undefeated NCAA women's tournament champion". They got it goin' on down there right now, a solid foundation, looking to build higher. A player like Walker could be the last piece in the puzzle.

Reaction Score
It seems her timeline changed after her not really Dame visit. I think she is waiting for evina to finish her official visits. Not really Dame will get 1&2 players for 2017

Maybe it's the other way around, they play the same position, no? It's confusing:)

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Wasn't it last year? Joyner Holmes.

Texas was impressive in the 2016's Bpt regional. Whether the current run ends in ff appearances or (omigod) a title or three, Texas will always be the answer to "1st undefeated NCAA women's tournament champion". They got it goin' on down there right now, a solid foundation, looking to build higher. A player like Walker could be the last piece in the puzzle.
Could be, but as I have said before getting the players are one thing, knowing how to get the best out of them another... So Many Teams have had #1 Classes and recruits that haven't amount to anything more than maybe conference contenders..

Yes Texas was first to go undefeated, but that was with coach Jody Conrad.. Not their current coach... :)
Secondly even though JC was first to accomplish the undefeated season, how many more national Championships did Texas end up with? So You have to give Jack his Jacket.. :) Some people said South Carolina had/has it going on.. but yet Aja Wilson still looking for that Championship.. Until Texas overcome Baylor, I'm not even listening to their noise..

If I had a gifted basketball daughter right now, She would either be going to UCONN, Notre Dame or Baylor.. Not even Tennessee because Pat Summit is no longer there... Coaches who have proven they have a formula/culture for developing champions..

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
You know what I think? - and not that anyone cares. It's just MHO.

I think Uconn was Waker's first love due to strong interest on Uconn's part early on.

Then somewhere down the road her fame begin to blossom, (Maya Moore type fame). And many others took notice.

Entered ND & Texas and things along the way became a little bit more complicated. Her decision making became a lot more difficult. Not to mention other personal desires which is normal.

I'm praying she recaptures the memory & desire of her First Love. If she does. Sorry ND & Texas.
I'll agree with you but I'm just not sure I want to have a player who can make a statement such as Some people get caught up in the "hype" of certain programs, if she said "success" I would be more understanding.. those are just strong and telling words to utter.. So I'm now hoping she chooses Texas..

Reaction Score
I have heard similar rumblings through the Big 12 rumor mill from WVU connections.

Reaction Score
I have heard similar rumblings through the Big 12 rumor mill from WVU connections.
OTOH, I heard yesterday that Nebraska is dissatisfied with the B1G and wants back in the Big 12, Oklahoma leaves, Texas stays. If the Big 12 does expand, I can see them letting in BYU and Houston. No one else on the "list" has the football pedigree for a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
Could be, but as I have said before getting the players are one thing, knowing how to get the best out of them another... So Many Teams have had #1 Classes and recruits that haven't amount to anything more than maybe conference contenders..

Yes Texas was first to go undefeated, but that was with coach Jody Conrad.. Not their current coach... :)
Secondly even though JC was first to accomplish the undefeated season, how many more national Championships did Texas end up with? So You have to give Jack his Jacket.. :) Some people said South Carolina had/has it going on.. but yet Aja Wilson still looking for that Championship.. Until Texas overcome Baylor, I'm not even listening to their noise..

If I had a gifted basketball daughter right now, She would either be going to UCONN, Notre Dame or Baylor.. Not even Tennessee because Pat Summit is no longer there... Coaches who have proven they have a formula/culture for developing champions..

Nothing can diminish the place Coach Auriemma has ascended to. That he's still hungry, defies description. Pro team should have offered him a long time ago, now it's too late. (I know he hasn't done it alone). I don't think he can coach my grandmother (/chuckle) to the ff but I don't think he needs every #1 to get there either. I like the last three classes a lot add to that 3 great transfers and if only Saniya can have a injury and focused season. I like our chances w or wo MW and she's gotta know that too.

I like Aja Wilson. She carried SC into the ff as a freshman. They came wi one possession of the national final and then picked herself up off the trainers table and back on to the court for a sellout crowd in SC as a sophomore. They were never going to beat Stewart and Co last season, nobody was. The early tournament exit may just provide the additional impetus needed to get it done this year. That game was probably the highest attended wcbb game last year. Cudos. All winners that day.

A lot of Boneyarder's were at the 2016 Bpt regionals, but when "toughest 2015-6 game" came up here, I don't think there were too many votes for that game, maybe none. I didn't vote, but had I, it would have been v. Texas because Uconn doesn't play regular season games that matter and that game was 12 points well into the 2nd half. If Coach Conradt was still there, MW wouldn't be considering them.

The way the PAC12 played in the tournament last year, and the coach with the most renown wasn't one of two that made it to the final four. I hope Westbrook stays home, the conference laid down some markers last year. That 3 off the radar teams got to the ff last year, diminishes the value of past records going forward. It's only 1 event, I know.

We're big fans here and we know from that involvement, how hard it is to match the player and the program. I don't think "We miss Courtney already" was a canned remark. We know the level of commitment required of the players. Some of us even remember what it was like to be <20. There's no Microsoft or Intel if everybody works for IBM, and no Google, if...

It's not like Cox and Wilson, who clearly were leaning home. Uconn is not a secret so it's easy to go with the conventional wisdom and be skeptical of players that don't just sign up but there's a first time for everything. We'll see. It's been fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom