My main concern . . . | The Boneyard

My main concern . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. . . is that we are not playing our trademark stifling D. Since I've been watching (30 years! Holy when did I get so old?), I can't recall a UConn team that was so defensively anemic. Even in down years, you could always count on the boys to bring the hammer on D. It's what brought us the '11 title, for Pete's sake.! It sure wasn't the AO half hook or the Roscoe full court heave!

And the part that worries me the most is that the thing our passionless defense most resembles is our coach's countenance. No fire from the coach, and none from the kids. Great D masks many flaws. Ask Butler.

What strikes me most when I review the losses this year is the awful D we have played. This team does not resemble a UConn team. Where is the pride? In Atlantis, it was open three after open three. The boys in 14 had the fire instilled by JC. These boys are all Olie's.

I don't have my hand on the fire alarm, but, gentlemen, I am standing next to it, at the ready.

The rest is fixable. Bad subbing. Time out mismanagement. Stagnant offense.

Lack of passion is not fixable, or the villanova coach or former Texas coach would already have rings.

That's my main concern. Our defense is an imposter.

Reaction Score
OK, so what's the issue then?

Is it KO's passive demeanor that filters down to the kids?

Is KO not recruiting guys with the requisite toughness?

Reaction Score
. . . is that we are not playing our trademark stifling D. Since I've been watching (30 years! Holy when did I get so old?), I can't recall a UConn team that was so defensively anemic. Even in down years, you could always count on the boys to bring the hammer on D. It's what brought us the '11 title, for Pete's sake.! It sure wasn't the AO half hook or the Roscoe full court heave!

And the part that worries me the most is that the thing our passionless defense most resembles is our coach's countenance. No fire from the coach, and none from the kids. Great D masks many flaws. Ask Butler.

What strikes me most when I review the losses this year is the awful D we have played. This team does not resemble a UConn team. Where is the pride? In Atlantis, it was open three after open three. The boys in 14 had the fire instilled by JC. These boys are all Olie's.

I don't have my hand on the fire alarm, but, gentlemen, I am standing next to it, at the ready.

Lack of passion is not fixable, or the villanova coach or former Texas coach would already have rings.

KO is still a very young coach who is going through a learning process. He won a improbable but well deserved championship with arguably the best PG in the country who simply imposed his will on the team from a leadership perspective. I have never left a KO open practice inspired by anything. Not only uninspiring are the practices but there are rarely any teachable moments. He tries working on defensive rotations for example and you can tell it is not really resonating with the players. I admit my sample size is very small so it is far from all inclusive. The 2016 recruiting class proves that KO can recruit despite some inherent limitations caused by our league affiliation. Recruiting is huge and KO has put together a great 2016 class and adds Larrier. His craft however has many flaws on the side line that have materialized after our 2013-14 run to our 4th National Championship. I think Ollie has what it takes to become a great coach. The problem is potential can be wasted in any profession.

Reaction Score
I actually think the defense has been a lot better since the Ohio State game. Certainly, there are still some kinks to work out, but given we're playing without our only reliable rim protector, the defense has performed about as well as could be expected over the last four games, IMO.

The other end is a bigger problem right now.

Reaction Score
Yes our defense was a central part of our 2014 NC. Boatright was an absolute beast, Shabazz more than held up his end, Phil did a great job on opposing bigs, and Niels was outstanding. Without our defense, we don't make it past Florida in the FF, if that. I think this team has the potential to be good defensively, we are just lacking effort. And of the course the loss of Brimah doesn't help.

Reaction Score
I actually think the defense has been a lot better since the Ohio State game. Certainly, there are still some kinks to work out, but given we're playing without our only reliable rim protector, the defense has performed about as well as could be expected over the last four games, IMO.

The other end is a bigger problem right now.

I think we can hang our hat on a good defensive game against Texas on the road. Texas has proven to be a pretty solid offensive team this year. We got lit up by Mass-Lowell (284th ranked offense) the game right after Ohio State. Then in that time frame we also faced the 336th, 299th, 139th and 121st rated offenses in the country. So any improvement seems to be nominal at best if you take the strength of our opponents into consideration. I am interested to see how we fare on the road against Houston defensively. That will be a test.

Reaction Score
Wait soon the stat guys will show up and tell you how good our d really is.

Couldn't resist the challenge. KenPom D ranking the last 15 years... (nationally out of 350 or so) *'s for Final 4 years.

2016 - 21
2015 - 65
*2014 - 10
2013 - 57
2012 - 65
*2011 - 13
2010 - 32
*2009 - 3
2008 - 69
2007 - 8 (our offense was atrocious this year with all the freshmen)
2006 - 25
2005 - 8
*2004 - 5
2003 - 19
2002 -22

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Couldn't resist the challenge. KenPom D ranking the last 15 years... (nationally out of 350 or so) *'s for Final 4 years.

Not sure how these numbers are generated, but I watched Syracuse and gonzaga tear us up. Tulane made a run on us that made me think I wasn't watching UConn. Maybe its a question of us donkey stomping weaklings and sucking wind against good teams. Our best D against Temple was holding them to 40% at the line. Our best D on the year was Maryland. Need to bring that every night.

Reaction Score
May not be D related but I was furious at the play where DHam went for the loose ball and decided not to dive on the floor, which the Temple player did. I know its a new day, but Calhoun NEVER tolerated that type of effort. It occurred on Ollie side of the floor, practically right in front of the bench. I am still in disbelief that I witnessed a UConn player do that. Effort like that breeds mediocrity. I hope Ollie addresses that in film, because if a player does that again, it could be telling of his control/authority on his players.

One play does not mean a trend but a play where an opposing player wants the ball more than one of ours is just unthinkable.

Reaction Score
I agree our defense is not as good as it should or could be. There are some reasons, 3 of them starters. I mean reality is you want to play "UConn style man" yet you have 3 guys that can't guard people all that well in the man. Sterling and DHam are slow to move their feet and stay from perimeter to the lane on their guy keeping themselves between their guy and the hoop. Kentan many times is not in position to make plays, back to the play at times not knowing when to leave to help. I mean they do a pretty nice job overall to hide these shortcomings actually.

Here's the deal though, Temple scored 55. It's not time to talk about the defense now is it?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Wait soon the stat guys will show up and tell you how good our d really is.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Reaction Score

You have a point my friend.. I play the games in my mind.. Our game has more a "Rucker Park" feel. Hardly any if no defense.. We gotta get back to digging in on defense... the offense is what it is..

Reaction Score
Not sure how these numbers are generated, but I watched Syracuse and gonzaga tear us up. Tulane made a run on us that made me think I wasn't watching UConn. Maybe its a question of us donkey stomping weaklings and sucking wind against good teams. Our best D against Temple was holding them to 40% at the line. Our best D on the year was Maryland. Need to bring that every night.
Best D was Maryland??? If I remember correctly, and I think I do, we couldn't do a damn thing to stop Diamond Stone from doing what he wanted inside, and we couldn't keep Trimble from driving the lane, which is much easier said than done but still. We played good D the last probably 8 minutes but most of the game was like the reat of the season on D

Reaction Score
This happens almost every year especially regarding defense; and quite frankly, it's getting old and plain boring. Every year it goes "This is the worst team I can remember! AND I'VE BEEN A FAN FOR ABC YEARS!!! THAT MANY!!"

Your memory just sucks and/or you're hyperbolizing for attention.

Reaction Score
If we want a blueprint look no further than second half Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
First ... this mindset that you have "Calhoun" guys and "Ollie" guys is numbingly poisonous. I do not see a whit of difference between the TYPE of kids we have brought in. Individually? Sure, everyone is different and individual. Calhoun's mindset? Unlike any other ... and not replaceable or replicated. He would stomp on the floor and yank a kid ... pointing directly at him. I have not seen a coach do that recently in the last few years ... except I think I saw Wojo at Marquette do something similar against PC.

Second ... Ollie has two HCs on his staff. This ... "He is Pro" or "He isn't prepared to be a College Coach" intimations should be mitigated by the experience he has sitting next to him & at practice. Any idea that Ollie isn't conducting professional business-like practices is a BIG surprise to me.

Defensively>?

I think Lappas had a good point the other night. Hamilton was far more comfortable against the 4 guy last year than what he is facing currently. A capable swift DeCousey was a very tough matchup for him. He didn't move he feet enough (and btw ... this is a definite reason he should not go NBA anytime soon). He was good at placing a body some on the 4 & then grabbing the rebound and running. Nolan was in on Bond versus Temple because that kid is a Manimal. Tough for most guys to get. Defensively, Boatwright and Shabazz were both exceptional. We need Jalen Adams to develop ... as he has better tools than most kids coming in. Omar is doing better defensively. Facey - as noted by mauconnfan - is often a little off and less intense. And YES, we are missing Brimah. We relied on him and structured all these kids ... and as you saw Temple just had no fear to go in the lane.

We just saw a significant difference in one game by Cincinnati after Cronin lit into them. I used to think Ollie had that kind of motivational fire. Hate to get too personal; but, having gone through a divorce ... you might be a little flat. The confident great human inside KO needs to jump to the fore.

Reaction Score
... this mindset that you have "Calhoun" guys and "Ollie" guys is numbingly poisonous.
It's plain truth is what it is. With Diaco and all other new head coaches, it's always said to give them X years so that they can get their kids and their system in place.

It's been almost X years. Ollie now pretty much has his kids and his system in place. It's his to own, good, bad, or middling.

Nothing "poisonous" about pointing out obvious truth.

Reaction Score
It's plain truth is what it is. With Diaco and all other new head coaches, it's always said to give them X years so that they can get their kids and their system in place.

It's been almost X years. Ollie now pretty much has his kids and his system in place. It's his to own, good, bad, or middling.

It seems like you completely missed his point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Inconsistency defines this team right now, both from game to game and in the middle of a game. I like to think that's something that can be addressed, and fixed, midseason.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This happens almost every year especially regarding defense; and quite frankly, it's getting old and plain boring. Every year it goes "This is the worst team I can remember! AND I'VE BEEN A FAN FOR ABC YEARS!!! THAT MANY!!"

Your memory just sucks and/or you're hyperbolizing for attention.

I especially love the Perno team references and how today doesn't even compare to those. Like that worked out well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Discount that entire analysis with regards to the sanctions Ollie inherited. Those are Calhoun's sanctions, and subsequently his roster deficiency. Ollie needs two or 3 more years to truly get his roster churn. Look at the class coming in next year, and tell me that's not a Calhoun class.

Reaction Score
Ollie needs two or 3 more years to truly get his roster churn.
We can reasonably disagree on this.
Hamilton, Brimah, Purvis, Gibbs, Miller, Enoch, SC2. His guys.

Let me be clear here - I'm not talking about talent level. I don't disagree that Ollie is still being hurt by the sanctions.

I'm talking about effort on D. Seems like it's missing to me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We can reasonably disagree on this.
Hamilton, Brimah, Purvis, Gibbs, Miller, Enoch, SC2. His guys.

Let me be clear here - I'm not talking about talent level. I don't disagree that Ollie is still being hurt by the sanctions.

I'm talking about effort on D. Seems like it's missing to me.

I get that those are Ollie's guys. But, you've got to start recruiting guys as freshman in highschool; UCONN couldn't do that a few years ago. Three of those guys (Gibbs/Miller/SC2) are pure stop gap measures, related to not having the resources to recruit and land guys a few years ago . And Purvis, while a coup, was also an unplanned-for stop gap. You could argue he was one of Ollie's most important 'recruits', as it didn't require much resources, limited under sanction, to get him.

I agree on defense. Unfortunately, two of our better players are terrible at it. There's really no way around that. And with Brimah out, the effect is only magnified.

Reaction Score
Discount that entire analysis with regards to the sanctions Ollie inherited. Those are Calhoun's sanctions, and subsequently his roster deficiency. Ollie needs two or 3 more years to truly get his roster churn. Look at the class coming in next year, and tell me that's not a Calhoun class.

This is Ollie's saving grace at the moment. Recruiting was absolutely putrid over the 4 years that produced the guys who would be on the roster today, and that is largely Calhoun's fault. [Non-transfer recruits over this period, in order of current talent: Hamilton, Adams, Brimah, Facey, Calhoun, Samuel, Enoch, Nolan, Cassell, Lubin, Tolksdorf. How many of those guys would get meaningful minutes on our great teams of yore?]

Next year's class is much more like what we're accustomed to seeing. If KO can string together a few classes of that caliber, it will be hard not to return to the heights of the 90's and 00's.

That said, there are a number of in-game coaching issues that KO will have to rectify in order to consistently get the most out of those recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom