My Letter To Warde | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Letter To Warde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel - Big mistake - once he read the following, he deleted the email:

Mr. Warde Manuel-
I write this email to you as one of thousands of die hard UConn football fans. Don’t bother looking me up. I’m not a donor, .....

In all seriously....relax and take a deep breath. Randy Edsall's record in his 1st three years was:
1999 (4-7)
2000 (3-8)
2001 (2-9)

He had 5 losing seasons and a .500 year in his 1st 8 years. Although we are not in start-up mode now, we are rebuiding , which has a lot of similarities (new coaches & schemes, inherited players, and building fan confidence). In some ways, you can argue it is tougher since UCONN fans have enjoyed winning seasons with bowls, and have been kicked to the curb by its former conference mates and P5 conferences. There is a sense of urgency to change the program around, but let's be realistic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
WOW glad you have your disclaimer below your comments. A moment to reread it is in order. You contridict yourself.
At what point does someone stop being a fan and just become cynical? No personal attack here but you bring up the fact $250 would be chump change to attend the game. What would have it cost to get your ego there?

I am 110% positive Warde will respond to you as he has done so in the past for myself and others. It may not be as soon as you like because they have a very busy week. $8 million coming in for new soccer stadium & more for the naming of the new basketball facility. Then again none of this would matter to you.

I would vent more about Hathaway and Larry McHugh than Warde, they created the mess he is trying to clean up. It takes time to reap what you sow and this staff is not working with anything they planted.

Your assumptions are a bit off. The at amount isn't whether it was chump change or not. I think it's safe to assume most fans who went to the game spent significantly more. The point I was making wasn"t about ego it's about many of us fans have competing time constraints and we have prioritize them.

The product UConn is putting on the field this year doesn't justify a weekend of my time.

On the flip side I already have hotels booked for the UConn/Florida basketball game in January and most likely will go to New Orleans for the UConn/Tulane basketball game.

I'm always willing to drop cash on UConn events.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chin it's premature in my view but I get everything you are saying. I'm worried about Diaco, very worried after this weekend, but it's too soon to write him off.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel - Big mistake - once he read the following, he deleted the email:

Mr. Warde Manuel-
I write this email to you as one of thousands of die hard UConn football fans. Don’t bother looking me up. I’m not a donor, .....

In all seriously....relax and take a deep breath. Randy Edsall's record in his 1st three years was:
1999 (4-7)
2000 (3-8)
2001 (2-9)

He had 5 losing seasons and a .500 year in his 1st 8 years. Although we are not in start-up mode now, we are rebuiding , which has a lot of similarities (new coaches & schemes, inherited players, and building fan confidence). In some ways, you can argue it is tougher since UCONN fans have enjoyed winning seasons with bowls, and have been kicked to the curb by its former conference mates and P5 conferences. There is a sense of urgency to change the program around, but let's be realistic.

Right now what worries me most is identity. None of us know the identity he wants the program to have.

This can be indicative of a first time head coach.

When Edsall took over at Maryland he had a track record from UConn so that even when on-field results were poor you knew he had a plan. Same can be said with Strong at Texas. Plenty of other examples in college and pros. Look at the Oriole's with Showalter.
The team and program take on the personality of the coach.
More than any individual decision this is what concerns me.
Answer this.
How would you sum up what is a UConn football player?

Reaction Score
After the game, I swore I would not read the BY as I knew I would be peppered with posts such as this. This team is bad. We may be the WORST team in CFB right now. My biggest concern is that we are spiraling downward as we have a staff afraid to make a mistake on O, which is simply creating a more and more predictable O and a harder to watch experience for the fans. As a DC, I would think HCBD would open up the playbook, not close it. If you were an opposing DC, how many guys would you put in the box on almost every play and how deep would you align your safeities? What's the downside - miss out on a bowl?

Having said that, I would hope that one would not evaluate organizational behavior without being anywhere near the organization to see the behaviors. Anger and frustration don't always lend well to making a reasoned argument. If I were the AD, I would never ignore a fan - but I would discount it if it were based on uninformed knowledge

Reaction Score
I really thought that HCBD when he was hired was going to be a fiery leader. I pictured him running up and down the sidelines yelling and pleading for more from his players(willing them to wins). I really though he could "coach them up" and get max results from them.

He seems very subdued. I thought his (rah-rah)attitude was good enough for an extra 2 wins(foolish me).

Part of me thinks even he is stunned by the lack of talent on the team. Don't get me wrong there are some talented players -but not at the right positions.

I believe in Diaco. Give him time to implement his plan. With his players.

That being said no time for the fan base to give up on the team. We have no choice our future depends on football being competitive and (hopefully) appealing to a Power 5 conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
How would you sum up what is a UConn football player?

I know what I like it to be. A bunch of tough SOB's, who will fight you every play to the last whistle and while you may win the game, you will know you played a tough game, you had to earn every bit of it and it damn sure wasn't handed to you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I really thought that HCBD when he was hired was going to be a fiery leader. I pictured him running up and down the sidelines yelling and pleading for more from his players(willing them to wins). I really though he could "coach them up" and get max results from them.

He seems very subdued. I thought his (rah-rah)attitude was good enough for an extra 2 wins(foolish me).

Part of me thinks even he is stunned by the lack of talent on the team. Don't get me wrong there are some talented players -but not at the right positions.

I believe in Diaco. Give him time to implement his plan. With his players.

That being said no time for the fan base to give up on the team. We have no choice our future depends on football being competitive and (hopefully) appealing to a Power 5 conference.

I'll say this. If he ever does blow his lid, it's gonna be epic.

Reaction Score
Just sent this to the AD's email
(I'm under no illusion that he will read this directly, have a summary sent to him or have any response from him)

Mr. Warde Manuel-
I write this email to you as one of thousands of die hard UConn football fans. Don’t bother looking me up. I’m not a donor, nor am I an alumni. In my entire family my mother is the only person to hold a degree from UConn. I was born and raised in Connecticut and I have been a fan and supporter of the program since the 1970’s.
I gave away my ticket to the Tulane game tonight. I live about a 3 hour drive from New Orleans. I travel frequently for my job and was going to use hotel points to spend the weekend there. My total expenses for the weekend would have been $250 or less and based off of what I had seen all year, this program isn’t worth it. The staff and players performance tonight justified my reluctance.
Hiring Bob Diaco and signing off on his staff was a mistake. A big mistake. Six games in to the season and it is obvious to any football fan that there isn’t any attempt by this coaching staff to try to win, develop players or build the football program.
UConn is a first class public university and the flagship university for the state of Connecticut. As such, everyone representing the university has an obligation to present the school in its highest possible regards.
It is okay to go through a process only to find out the decision was poor. Great organizations can recover from a bad decision. Look at how Netflix recovered. They made an aggressive decision but quickly realized the results were poor and corrected them. You can do the same.
This team as coached by the current staff is incapable of scoring 10 points on a regular basis. You are a smart person and you are a football person. This team is literally incapable of beating an opponent who can score 10 points. Any team who can score twice in a game can go in to clock running mode without any fear of UConn making up the difference.
There’s plenty of careers I don’t understand. I’m not an investment banker, I’m not a lawyer and I’m not in to politics. What I do know is organizational behavior, developing organizations and evaluating organizations. I was fortunate enough that during my time serving in the military I was attached to or was able to observe several of the highest functioning organizations within the military. I participated, watched, developed and trained teams that didn’t have any room for false assessments, hubris or introspection. Indeed, the qualities all of these teams possessed was the ability to assess all decisions honestly and without regard for personal welfare.
From a purely selfish point of view, you have dead ended yourself with this hiring decision unless results change dramatically. You are well aware that football can generate substantially more income than any other sport in an athletic department and can generate more press and visibility than all other athletic teams combined.
The ball is in your court. Please do not respond that you are monitoring the situation. What we fans want is results from athletes that are students first, representatives of the state an forever ambassadors of UConn athletics.
Sincerely,
Regular, Frustrated Native Nutmegger

Ok, as an Alum and a CT native, step back off the ledge bro. This is college football. Deep Breaths. No one is living and dying here. I've worried for years about the creep of corporatism/money/douchbaggery in college football, and posts like this just confirm the problem has made its way deep into UConn Country.

Yes, this team is otherworldly bad.

Yes, due to the nature of CFB recruiting cycles, it will likely be a year or two until UCONN is back to competency.

Finally, Yes, it has been a tough couple months of UConn FBall.

But its always darkest just before the dawn, and (insert other motivational phrase here). All is well, you are being very undude right now.

Finally, in conclusion, while i am sure WM will fully read your "letters" and evaluation of the "organizational structure", how bout you just give the guy a couple years to dig out of this epic sh!tpocalypse PP/GDL left us and support the program rather than whine and write blathering letters to people that honestly have better things to do with their time.

Just the fact that you clearly state UCONN football is a f*c&k!ng economic decision to you is enough to make me puke. Enjoy your remaining $250 travel voucher buddy!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ok, as an Alum and a CT native, step back off the ledge bro. This is college football. Deep Breaths. No one is living and dying here. I've worried for years about the creep of corporatism/money/douchbaggery in college football, and posts like this just confirm the problem has made its way deep into UConn Country.

Yes, this team is otherworldly bad.

Yes, due to the nature of CFB recruiting cycles, it will likely be a year or two until UCONN is back to competency.

Finally, Yes, it has been a tough couple months of UConn FBall.

But its always darkest just before the dawn, and (insert other motivational phrase here). All is well, you are being very undude right now.

Finally, in conclusion, while i am sure WM will fully read your "letters" and evaluation of the "organizational structure", how bout you just give the guy a couple years to dig out of this epic sh!tpocalypse PP/GDL left us and support the program rather than whine and write blathering letters to people that honestly have better things to do with their time.

Just the fact that you clearly state UCONN football is a f*c&k!ng economic decision to you is enough to make me puke. Enjoy your remaining $250 travel voucher buddy!

What's ironic is that my whole point to him is that I am stepping back from the ledge and I am chilling out. My point was that the product on the field has led me towards indifference towards the football team and that I won't be investing as much time and energy as I have in the past.

I'm just at the point of show me something. As I said in this or one of the other threads, process and progress don't have to be mutually exclusive.

As for a rough couple of months, I'll say it's been a rough 3 1/2 years where the only bit of hope was the last month of last season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We gave Ollie 2 seasons to win a national championship, I think we owe Diaco the same courtesy.

Kevin Ollie beat a ranked MSU team in Germany on a nationally televised game for his first game. He put results on the board on day 1.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie beat a ranked MSU team in Germany on a nationally televised game for his first game. He put results on the board on day 1.

I was being sarcastic, Ollie inherited a pretty talented team and hit the ground running (another reminder how spoiled we are!) but I really think Diaco needs (deserves) more slack. He is a defensive guy... we're #20 in the nation in yards/game (I'll take it). The offense was a dumpster fire BEFORE we lost our leading passer, rusher and most of the OL from a bad 2013 team.

This team was set up to fail this season well before Diaco was hired so it is unfair to judge him at this point. I still feel we're going in the right direction even if we end up 2-10. Do you really think Pat Narduzzi (Nick Saban or Bill Bilichick for that matter) could get Whitmer and this jv OL to score 20 points per game?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So no coach in America is responsible for any TO? What are they responsible for?
I can't tell if this is a serious question.

Reaction Score
If you can find someone equivalent to Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, DeAndre Daniels, or hell, Enosch Wolf on the football team, please email bob.diaco at uconn.edu

Reaction Score
He does have a top 20 ranked defense. Which is impressive considering that our offense can't score, and the fact we have lost a lot of talent on D the last two years.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He does have a top 20 ranked defense. Which is impressive considering that our offense can't score, and the fact we have lost a lot of talent on D the last two years.

Not being a downer - just supplying facts for fair assessment (I didnt look up Stony Brooks offense in the FCS and dont know if those stats count toward the #20 ranking)

Offense Ranks of teams we played

BYU 54
Boise 26
Temple 94
USF 118
Tulane 99

They rank 125 teams - 3 of our games were against teams whose offense is ranked in the bottom 30.

Lets see the D moving forward-
East Carolina #5
UCF #117
Army #71
Cinci #52
Memphis #53
SMU #124

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So no coach in America is responsible for any TO? What are they responsible for?

My kid told me last night its the teachers fault she got a D on a science quiz. I told her that might work in the Palatine household but not here...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Per game stats are completely useless across FBS.

They don't capture pace or strength of schedule. In UConn's case they are also skewed by the fact the teams they are playing conservatively because UConn can't score.

The defense has been pretty good but that is nowhere near the 20th best defense in the country.

Reaction Score
Per game stats are completely useless across FBS.

They don't capture pace or strength of schedule. In UConn's case they are also skewed by the fact the teams they are playing conservatively because UConn can't score.

The defense has been pretty good but that is nowhere near the 20th best defense in the country.

Clearly that isn't my point. The point is the defense is pretty good, and with a reasonably productive offense (or perhaps even a turnover free offense) we are 3-3, and fighting for a bowl.

Clearly this "feels" like a failure, but, and I said this with P (and no I'm not defending him) - we were a couple of plays away from 6-6 (or better) the first two years. This year, we are a handful of turnovers away from 3-3 (or better). Talent aside - these are generally correctable problems.

We can argue whether a defensive guy like Diaco can help get us to the point where we have a reasonably productive, low turnover FBS offense (clearly not off to a good start), but he isn't asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
In fairness to KO, he didn't inherit a very talented team by anyone's account. He took a train wreck with a midget backcourt and no identity and turned it into a national champion. Saying he inherited talent is only easy in revision. He inherited a steaming pile based on popular opinion at the time. I can honestly say, no one else could have done it. He was the right guy at the right time.

With so many players and such a long curve to develop them in football, any correlation between KO and Diaco is a stretch. I'd just like Diaco to show us improvement. I'm really starting to hang my hat on the defense though. If we are great defensively, a marginal improvement on offense will produce big results in the win column. I suspect getting a dual threat QB on the field will help toward that marginal improvement. I'm pretty sure that is what we are going to see.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Clearly that isn't my point. The point is the defense is pretty good, and with a reasonably productive offense (or perhaps even a turnover free offense) we are 3-3, and fighting for a bowl.

Clearly this "feels" like a failure, but, and I said this with P (and no I'm not defending him) - we were a couple of plays away from 6-6 (or better) the first two years. This year, we are a handful of turnovers away from 3-3 (or better). Talent aside - these are generally correctable problems.

We can argue whether a defensive guy like Diaco can help get us to the point where we have a reasonably productive, low turnover FBS offense (clearly not off to a good start), but he isn't asleep at the wheel.

I wasn't really responding to you because you said 'ranked'. Just in general I keep seeing the per game stats quoted and they really don't matter.

I don't think it's so easy to just say a few plays and they are 3-3. South Florida for example shut down their offense. Had UConn had the capability to score on offense they would have played the game differently. Tulane and South Florida are happy to get a win anyway they can - so if they can do it without even attempting to make plays on offense it's going to look like a few plays would swing a game, when really that's just a function of having an offense that doesn't scare people.

Reaction Score
I know what I like it to be. A bunch of tough SOB's, who will fight you every play to the last whistle and while you may win the game, you will know you played a tough game, you had to earn every bit of it and it damn sure wasn't handed to you.

More Zach Hurds please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99