My dream CR strategy for Jim D | The Boneyard

My dream CR strategy for Jim D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming the courts say the exit fee should be closer to $10 or 20m here's the script:

Invite UVA, next day invite UNC. UNC will probably say no so invite UConn. The UVA/Uconn extention gives the BIG the NYC/Washington corridor. One or two days later go to ND and say I'm going to invite you and either UNC, Duke, BC, or GT. Give me your answer in 24 hours. If ND says no (which they probably will) then Jim D invites UNC and Duke together. By inviting UNC and Duke together neither school feels like the destroyer of the ACC. If ND says yes then go to UNC, if they say no then GT or BC. An 18 conference with UVA/UConn/UNC/Duke gives the BIG a strangle hold on MidWest, NorthEast, DC, VA and Carolina.

But move fast. After UVA and UConn (yes its my dream) ND would have to realize the gig is up and join. If they don't the UNC/Duke combo gives the BIG a 18 team Super conference that in my mind is by far number one in terms of all around sports, football, and academics. Yes the SEC still is fb king but conference domination ebbs and flows over the years. Yes the last ten have been SEC dominated but that doesn't mean its forever. A few more Alabama gangster stories about what actually goes on with the FB programs will take their toll.

Reaction Score
At this point the B1G, ACC and Big 12 are perusing the draft board only unlike the NFL there is no order or limit on who gets selected. Perhaps the PAC10 is also thinking about drafting but probably won't make a move until someone else rings the dinner bell to start the feeding frenzy. As someone else pointed out Swofford may always regret not bringing in UConn and Rutgers when they brought in Cuse and Pitt. Leaving the wrong player on the board can be a fatal mistake. Let's hope this all goes down before the NFL draft. Remember the quote from the B1G guy "I don't see us playing in 2014 with a 14 team membership". We will be going somewhere.

Reaction Score
Assuming the courts say the exit fee should be closer to $10 or 20m here's the script:

Invite UVA, next day invite UNC. UNC will probably say no so invite UConn. The UVA/Uconn extention gives the BIG the NYC/Washington corridor. One or two days later go to ND and say I'm going to invite you and either UNC, Duke, BC, or GT. Give me your answer in 24 hours. If ND says no (which they probably will) then Jim D invites UNC and Duke together. By inviting UNC and Duke together neither school feels like the destroyer of the ACC. If ND says yes then go to UNC, if they say no then GT or BC. An 18 conference with UVA/UConn/UNC/Duke gives the BIG a strangle hold on MidWest, NorthEast, DC, VA and Carolina.

But move fast. After UVA and UConn (yes its my dream) ND would have to realize the gig is up and join. If they don't the UNC/Duke combo gives the BIG a 18 team Super conference that in my mind is by far number one in terms of all around sports, football, and academics. Yes the SEC still is fb king but conference domination ebbs and flows over the years. Yes the last ten have been SEC dominated but that doesn't mean its forever. A few more Alabama gangster stories about what actually goes on with the FB programs will take their toll.

Love it, but ND is not joining a conference. They just got to the Natty C without one and now have the big priest to fall back on for non-football sports, who would welcome them with open arms. I love the UConn, UVA, UNC Duke add to B1G. Don't think there is enough football ammo there, but a man can dream.

Reaction Score
Yes a man can dream. I am 99% sure that after 5 years of being a member of the B1G UConn FB will be a perennial top 15 FB school. Wining and excelling is in UConn's DNA.

By the way watch out for UNC. Their recruiting class was darn good and with their new coach they have stepped it up.

Trick Jim D needs is to indicate to ND is that if ND says no then it should realize no B1G member will play ND in any sport as long as he is commissioner. ND is powerful but if u take away B1G competition in fb, bb and womens bb they are in trouble.

Reaction Score
As someone else pointed out Swofford may always regret not bringing in UConn and Rutgers when they brought in Cuse and Pitt.

Sooner or later there will be 2 to 3 major conference commissioners regretting not bringing in UConn when they were sitting there on a silver platter.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yes a man can dream. I am 99% sure that after 5 years of being a member of the B1G UConn FB will be a perennial top 15 FB school. Wining and excelling is in UConn's DNA.
I like your enthusiasm. I'll be happy if we solidify a spot in the top 30 with an invite to a Big Something Conference. The most intriguing thing about UConn has been our ability to compete nationally despite not getting the paycheck that ACC, B1G, B12 etc schools get. Throw another 10, 20, 30 mil per year at the AD and I think you would see the #uptick.

Reaction Score

Since it's your dream, why does UNC get the invite ahead of us?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we are going to live in a semi-realistic dream realignment scenario, it is one where the SEC announces their network, then invites VTech and UNC. VTech accepts on the spot, and UNC deliberates. Now ESPN and the Big 10 both have a problem. ACC schools are going to start racing for the door. ESPN can't stop most of the schools from leaving for the SEC or Big 10, but may be able to stop an exodus to the Big 12.

The Big 10 knows that if UNC says no to the SEC, the invitation to NC State will show up in Raleigh the next day. No matter what happens, the SEC would now be in Virginia and North Carolina, making both states much less attractive to the BTN. In this scenario, ESPN hikes ACC rights fees and UNC sits tight in the ACC. The SEC invites NC State, who accepts on the spot.

Now the Big 10 has to look north for new members, and the choices are Syracuse, BC and UConn. I like UConn's chances in that scenario. Worst case, the Big 10 sits tight or adds BC and Syracuse, and UConn goes to the ACC with Cincinnati. Best case, UConn is in the Big 10.

If we want to have fantasy realignment scenarios, start with the SEC.

Reaction Score

By the way watch out for UNC. Their recruiting class was darn good and with their new coach they have stepped it up.

Trick Jim D needs is to indicate to ND is that if ND says no then it should realize no B1G member will play ND in any sport as long as he is commissioner. ND is powerful but if u take away B1G competition in fb, bb and womens bb they are in trouble.

Organized boycotts are potential anti-trust violations.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Plus, no Big Ten is going to say no to a relationship with Notre Dame.

"Hey, Michigan? This is Jim Delaney...yeah, about that Notre Dame football thing you've got going...I'd like you to cancel that."

*click*

Hello? Michigan? Hello?

Reaction Score
This is the way I see it going down in a dream scenario:

1. B1G wants UNC and UVA - they are not ready to go.

2. B1G reaches for FSU (who is ready) and picks UConn as a partner to further shore up the NE. UConn is best pick partner for FSU because no one else the B1G wants is yet willing to leave ACC, and UConn will help more than hurt with other schools B1G is chasing (i.e., UVA, UNC and ND) . FSU has no objection in B1G scenario.

3. B1G offers are open to UVA, UNC, ND - soft offer to GT extended for if/when ND intends to join

4. VTECH and NC State, reacting to the FSU departure, then take offer from SEC

5. Clemson + the U see writing on wall, head off to B12.

6. UVA and UNC cave, join B1G

7. Assorted others including Pitt, UL head to B12.

8. years pass . . .

9. ND caves and joins B1G w/GT if GT is still available, if not, w/ Cuse, BC or Duke.

I think this all starts on Thursday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you get a phone call every time a poster anywhere on the internet criticizes ND?

Their head coach sent a kid to his death and got away scott-free. Of course they feel invulnerable.

Reaction Score

"Hey, Michigan? This is Jim Delaney...yeah, about that Notre Dame football thing you've got going...I'd like you to cancel that."

*click*

Hello? Michigan? Hello?

You mean like Nebraska Oklahoma?

Money wise is a Mich vs Tennessee home and away series that much less than Michigan ND? If it is then I agree keep ND on your schedule. But Michigan sells out virtually every game and most games are on TV so what's the $ difference between a ND series and another top 25 contender.

I agree with JB the only rivalries that matter are in conference rivalries. They will take time to grow but that's the new college fb order. Its sad but that's what $ does.

Reaction Score
This is the way I see it going down in a dream scenario:

1. B1G wants UNC and UVA - they are not ready to go.

2. B1G reaches for FSU (who is ready) and picks UConn as a partner to further shore up the NE. UConn is best pick partner for FSU because no one else the B1G wants is yet willing to leave ACC, and UConn will help more than hurt with other schools B1G is chasing (i.e., UVA, UNC and ND) . FSU has no objection in B1G scenario.

3. B1G offers are open to UVA, UNC, ND - soft offer to GT extended for if/when ND intends to join

4. VTECH and NC State, reacting to the FSU departure, then take offer from SEC

5. Clemson + the U see writing on wall, head off to B12.

6. UVA and UNC cave, join B1G

7. Assorted others including Pitt, UL head to B12.

8. years pass . . .

9. ND caves and joins B1G w/GT if GT is still available, if not, w/ Cuse, BC or Duke.

I think this all starts on Thursday.

10. BC AD maintains it was the right move to lock UCONN out of the ACC back in 2011, in an interview following a 27-6 lose to UMASS.

Reaction Score

*click*

Hello? Michigan? Hello?

ND actually cancelled that series from 2015 - 2017. Will be interesting to see if they rekindle it given what the conference landscape could be at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom