My Concern | The Boneyard

My Concern

Reaction Score
I am not as convinced as seemingly everyone else on this site that it is in UConn’s best interests to join the Big 12.

Geographical proximity with competitive schools makes the Big East special. Most UConn fans work, are friends with, or acquainted with fans from other Big East schools which allows rivalries.

UConn and it’s fans lacked proximity and familiarity with the AAC schools despite the fact that the AAC included future Big 12 “heavyweights” UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston. UConn teams lost relevance and it’s NYC brand was diminished during its AAC era..

I fear that UConn joining the Big 12 would be a mistake. UConn, it’s fans, and media have little in common with faraway schools Baylor, BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State,, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and West Virginia. Yeah, I know that Kansas, Houston and others have top ranked basketball programs but to most UConn fans the aforementioned schools will seem like out of conference games which few will attend away games.

In my opinion UConn’s best interests is to stay in the Big East and wait to see what the ACC “football” schools do when the ACC football schools force a split, or when the GORs expire or are terminated.

UConn would have far- far more in common in terms of geographical proximity and fan rivalries with likely ACC football leftovers Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Wake, Georgia Tech than they would have with the Big 12 Schools.

If the ACC split does not accommodate UConn then it can remain in the Big East which existing relationship has proven beneficial.

I fear that UConn joining the Big 12 will be the AAC redux.

Reaction Score
I am not as convinced as seemingly everyone else on this site that it is in UConn’s best interests to join the Big 12.

Geographical proximity with competitive schools makes the Big East special. Most UConn fans work, are friends with, or acquainted with fans from other Big East schools which allows rivalries.

UConn and it’s fans lacked proximity and familiarity with the AAC schools despite the fact that the AAC included future Big 12 “heavyweights” UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston. UConn teams lost relevance and it’s NYC brand was diminished during its AAC era..

I fear that UConn joining the Big 12 would be a mistake. UConn, it’s fans, and media have little in common with faraway schools Baylor, BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State,, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and West Virginia. Yeah, I know that Kansas, Houston and others have top ranked basketball programs but to most UConn fans the aforementioned schools will seem like out of conference games which few will attend away games.

In my opinion UConn’s best interests is to stay in the Big East and wait to see what the ACC “football” schools do when the ACC football schools force a split, or when the GORs expire or are terminated.

UConn would have far- far more in common in terms of geographical proximity and fan rivalries with likely ACC football leftovers Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Wake, Georgia Tech than they would have with the Big 12 Schools.

If the ACC split does not accommodate UConn then it can remain in the Big East which existing relationship has proven beneficial.

Don't get money for ifs?

You paying the Uconn the difference?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My concern is that without receiving compensation somewhat commensurate with the product we offer, we will slowly fall further and further behind schools in conferences that are compensated equal to or (in many cases) above the product they offer.

The day can easily come where a school like Rutgers has a recruiting budget for men's hoops that exceeds our entire budget (coaches salaries, travel to road games, recruiting) for men's hoops. As difficult a job as it is to turn that ship around, Pikiell has made quite a bit of progress and in a half dozen years they can be a formidable program. In a half dozen years we may be broke from an athletic department standpoint.

Reaction Score

Only if Kevin Ollie is coming back to coach the basketball team.

and stop pretending the Big East is a bunch of local schools, there are only three road trips in the Big East, most games require a flight, and why do you think UConn's culture is aligned with a bunch of Catholic schools? We have much more in common with the schools in the B12,

Maybe you forgot, but we have invested a ton of money into our football team, the last time I checked the Big East no longer plays football, Providence doesn't even play baseball because they can't afford it, so much for culture.

Please stop pretending money doesn't matter, it's key to the AD's survival and success.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We are a state flagship school- we should be with other state flagships. We should worry what a decade of Rutty/Maryland/etc getting a 100MM vs our 7MM might eventually mean for us.

We should also worry if some other schools do take some offer and we are ones left behind.

When we do join the B12 it’s going to be fun being the weird visit for our new conf mates- the odd place way north and east. Everyone will underestimate us- it will be fun. Plant the pirate flag. Let’s enter the national college discussion the way our ACC peers get to do. Let’s be that one alt conf to those living north and east of Penn State.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And why is yormark doing this? I happen to think it’s because when you look at the b12 map it is terribly narrow in terms of DMAs covered. Adding UConn- albeit far flung, pulls in all of New England and NYC for the b12 which is needed in the long run. They need more brands/markets.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, UConn doesn't have the time to wait for this "pie-in-the-sky" scenario. Money matters. If we get a chance to jump over the wall, as Flugaur calls it, we have to take it. The more time that goes on, the further we get behind monetarily and the longer we become perceived as a G5 program.

What I don't understand is why people don't get that the ACC doesn't want UConn. They have passed over UConn so many times. Don't you think it could happen again? What do you think USF is going to be like in ten years when the ACC needs a Florida team? Do you know that USF is going to build a $340 million on-campus football stadium? That story is here: USF Board of Trustees Committee approves $340 million price tag for a new football stadium

What will Memphis be like in 10 years?

Yormark is forward thinking; the ACC Commissioner is not.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, UConn doesn't have the time to wait for this "pie-in-the-sky" scenario. Money matters. If we get a chance to jump over the wall, as Flugaur calls it, we have to take it. The more time that goes on, the further we get behind monetarily and the longer we become perceived as a G5 program.

What I don't understand is why people don't get that the ACC doesn't want UConn. They have passed over UConn so many times. Don't you think it could happen again? What do you think USF is going to be like in ten years when the ACC needs a Florida team? Do you know that USF is going to build a $340 million on-campus football stadium? That story is here: USF Board of Trustees Committee approves $340 million price tag for a new football stadium

What will Memphis be like in 10 years?

Yormark is forward thinking; the ACC Commissioner is not.
People are definitely sleeping on USF. One good coach and they could look like UCF to someone.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why people don't get that the ACC doesn't want UConn. They have passed over UConn so many times. Don't you think it could happen again?

yes unfortunately the ACC has declined to offer membership to our beloved UConn in the past but if UMiami, Florida State, Clemson, UNC, NCState, and VaTech exit the ACC then the ACC leftovers Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Wake, and Georgia Tech would have no reason not to welcome UConn with open arms.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
yes unfortunately the ACC has declined to offer membership to our beloved UConn in the past but if UMiami, Florida State, Clemson, UNC, NCState, and VaTech exit the ACC then the ACC leftovers Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Wake, and Georgia Tech would have no reason not to welcome UConn with open arms.
That ACC will be worthless. Some of those teams will be joining us in the Big 12 in 10 years.

A bird in the hand. We’re going to the Big 12 when offered. It’s the right move.

Reaction Score
People are definitely sleeping on USF. One good coach and they could look like UCF to someone.
There is a good story here, if you haven't read it, about how UCF jumped ahead of USF in conference realignment.

How USF lost (and UCF won) the conference realignment War on I-4​

15 years ago, USF was lightyears ahead of UCF. So why are the Knights, not Bulls, headed to the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the ACC schools are locked into Grant of rights. If they could break out of them canes , Florida State , Clemson would be long gone!! They can’t get out so they are forced to stay

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The ACC hit the iceberg when they allowed ND to be a partial member. Now the conference is taking on water and is going to sink once the GOR expires. Without FSU, Clemson, and Miami, they are a mediocre (at best) in football and the 3rd best in hoops. The PAC has a structural flaw that lowers their value: their time zone. The most stable and forward-looking conferences are SEC, B1G, and B12. We need to be in a P5 conference because we are a P5-level school. The B12 needs an east-coast/NYC school. UCONN is going to be in the B12, and it is going to be a win/win.

Reaction Score
We are a state flagship school- we should be with other state flagships. We should worry what a decade of Rutty/Maryland/etc getting a 100MM vs our 7MM might eventually mean for us.

We should also worry if some other schools do take some offer and we are ones left behind.

When we do join the B12 it’s going to be fun being the weird visit for our new conf mates- the odd place way north and east. Everyone will underestimate us- it will be fun. Plant the pirate flag. Let’s enter the national college discussion the way our ACC peers get to do. Let’s be that one alt conf to those living north and east of Penn State.
If you think we should be with other state flagship schools than the Big 12 certainly isn't the answer. The only state flagship schools they have are Kansas and West Virginia. We would be the outlier culturally, geographically, and academically.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
If you think we should be with other state flagship schools than the Big 12 certainly isn't the answer. The only state flagship schools they have are Kansas and West Virginia. We would be the outlier culturally, geographically, and academically.
The number of flagship schools in the B12 is not the issue. The issue is we are a flagship school not in a P5 conference. The B12 is a P5 conference, the top flagship schools are in P5 conferences, thus we fit in the B12.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you think we should be with other state flagship schools then the Big 12 certainly isn't the answer. The only state flagship schools they have are Kansas and West Virginia. We would be the outlier culturally, geographically, and academically

I don’t see a choice number 2… and our school from a size and funding (state) standpoint is certainly more aligned in the B12 than BE.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

In all seriousness what does the culture and academic aspect mean to you watching a basketball game?

Reaction Score
The number of flagship schools in the B12 is not the issue. The issue is we are a flagship school not in a P5 conference. The B12 is a P5 conference, the top flagship schools are in P5 conferences, thus we fit in the B12.
I responded to Exit 4 who said "We are a state flagship school- we should be with other state flagships."

Obviously that's important to him/her and obviously the Big 12 isn't the answer if UConn wants to be with other state flagship schools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I responded to Exit 4 who said "We are a state flagship school- we should be with other state flagships."

Obviously that's important to him/her and obviously the Big 12 isn't the answer if UConn wants to be with other state flagship schools.
Dear Him/Her/they,

The collection of schools in the b12 is more flagship oriented than anyone in the BE, all of which will always be limited as very successful small-mid sized regional private schools. UConn is the oddball in the BE.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness what does the culture and academic aspect mean to you watching a basketball game?
It doesn't matter to me at all when watching a UConn men's basketball game. I care most about UConn men's basketball and I think we would take a little bit of a hit in men's basketball moving to the Big 12.

The move would obviously be a big boost financially to the overall athletic department and to the football program but I think the people who try and convince themselves it would be better or just as good for the men's basketball team because the Big 12 is such a good basketball conference right now are trying to convince themselves of it/blowing smoke.

Reaction Score
Dear Him/Her/they,

The collection of schools in the b12 is more flagship oriented than anyone in the BE, all of which will always be limited as very successful small-mid sized regional private schools. UConn is the oddball in the BE.
Flagship oriented, lolz.

UConn will be the oddball in the Big 12 as well.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter to me at all when watching a UConn men's basketball game. I care most about UConn men's basketball and I think we would take a little bit of a hit in men's basketball moving to the Big 12.

The move would obviously be a big boost financially to the overall athletic department and to the football program but I think the people who try and convince themselves it would be better or just as good for the men's basketball team because the Big 12 is such a good basketball conference right now are trying to convince themselves of it/blowing smoke.
Well the alternative is to stay in the BE and let CT tax payers and students fill the financial gap forever and ever and ever.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I actually made a comment in a different thread today where I touched on that line of thinking. Which is that I completely understand your position and you may be right holding all things equal as of today. We would have the true geographic footprint, MSG to sell and games on FOX.

Where I think I become decidedly more pro Big 12 is that I'm pretty bearish on what a future BE tv deal looks like in terms of exposure. I could be proven to be wrong but ESPN and FOX both have an enormous amount of content right now. I fear we may be looking at a worse version of the pac 12 deal and behind a streaming pay wall. I think that would cripple recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom