My Big 12 Confidence Meter Rising | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Big 12 Confidence Meter Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love to see the Big 12 plant a flag in the Northeast and put a spoiler on the ACC Network.
Both networks would be available evn if Uconn is not in the Big12. You would think that the people in charge are making decisions based on solid data that includes how much/how little various schools bring to markets. Although the bile comes up as I type this, you can't discount the impact of ND in the non-FB sports for the ACC in the northeast markets nor can you discount that Cuse carries weight in NYC as well.

How many northeast fans will tune in for Baylor/K State BB on a Tuesday night? How many northeast fans will tune in to ND/Wake BB on a Tuesday night? I vote higher ratings on the latter.

Uconn, I think, fills in the market way better for the ACC than being a cold and lonely outpost in the Big 12. That said, jump on the first life raft that is available even if it has some small holes that are leaking. It is better and safer than the swimmies Uconn has now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If Rutgers belongs in the B10, UConn belongs in the B10. In spite of what the MBB fan boys think about the old BE, as an institution has more common with the B10 state flagships than it does the small private schools of the ACC or the academic backwaters of the B12.

But, any freaking port will do.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
XII expansion to me should really be pretty obvious.

Cincinnati
UConn
Memphis
BYU (football only unless willing to drop the "no Sunday" rule)

gives you an 18 game basketball schedule with 6 teams H/H and 6 teams played once (alternate every 2 years)

gives you 14 in football and Memphis despite being terrible does play in the Liberty Bowl which has some history and is in a fertile recruiting area in a part of the country that the XII could stand to definitely try to take some market share in.

I think the long term thinking is go 14 now and leave 2 schools who you can add later that are high growth options to get to 16 or back-fill if other schools leave- UH and Colorado State (as well as maybe Boise FB only)

This winds up being a mostly mountains/southern conference with a nice eastern wing of UConn (northeast) and WVU (mid atlantic). TV spots work great because you are in 3 time zones you can have games running all day and not have to inconvenience home teams (ie 12, 330, 7/8)

I don't see what either of the directional Floridas bring that UM can't wind up bringing eventually. I think Memphis has potential to be somewhat similar to Cincinnati/Louisville down the line. I don't see that for USF or UCF.

Reaction Score
Big 12 expansion looks to be a near certainty

"The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane."

We're set. Big 12, ACC, Big Ten, whatever.

Reaction Score
Big 12 expansion looks to be a near certainty

"The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane."

We're set. Big 12, ACC, Big Ten, whatever.
After everything that's happened over the years, this is an absurd mindset to have.

Reaction Score
It's been a while since you've had a "glass 1/4 full" post from me during these Husky dog days of summer, but here comes the latest installment from the board optimist:

I have UConn going to the Big 12 at a 90% likelihood right now. I would say 100%, but then we would be doooomed. The reason I say that is due to what almost certainly motivated the Big12 to vote for expansion in the first place; TV. The ACC network gets done, and immediately, the Big12 is ready to roll.

Well folks, that is GREAT news for our beloved University of Connecticut. The Big12 knows that there are two properties out there that are essential to driving their TV set demands; UConn and BYU. Everyone else is a far cry away. See you at the prom, Mr. Bowlsby... :cool:

In other news, UConnDan97 cleaned his apartment, made a candlelight dinner and bought the finest wine. About to close the deal when she disclosed that she had a headache. And genital herpes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Click my heels three times and I get to go to a basketball game in Kansas? There's no place like home ...there's no place like home ...

Best arena you'll ever see a game in.

Reaction Score
So I had Sirius Channel 91 on the radio on my way to work at 8 A.M. Taylor Z.'s opinion on Big-12 expansion: He wants Houston & Memphis added & if they to to 4 additions also add Colorado State & BYU. He was adamant. Rule #1-the pundits have spoken.

Reaction Score
Boren said, "... strength of their athletic department, fan base, media market, reputation, integrity and academic standing..." I think that bodes very well for UConn and it's because those very factors also strike me as the most logical criteria that I've been reading and contributing to this forum over the past few months.

I'm just a Texas fan in Austin interested in what's best for the Horns. I don't have any emotional connection to UConn or Connecticut or even the northeast.

But I believe a sustainable Big 12 with a happy, committed Texas and OU is in Texas' best interest. I have believed all along that a 12 member, two division, CCG conference format would be best for the Big 12. And when I look at candidates, UConn has always struck me as best.

Media members seem to love BYU but I'll admit I have an animosity towards church schools. SMU killed the SWC and Baylor sullied the Big 12. Maybe BYU is a good church school and my prejudice is unfair. If WVU wasn't in the Big 12 maybe I'd be more open to entertaining the idea. But with the Big 12 having a stake in the ground in Morgantown, Provo just seems to spread the geographic footprint too far. I just can't see BYU being a better fit than UConn.

Others say Cincy is ready and Houston is splashy but when I look at the facebook map of college football fans (I love those things) those schools don't even have enough fans to carry their own cities.

I think the phrase "academic standing" eliminates Memphis. And don't they have a history of NCAA violations?

I know you're all probably pretty fed up with the entire process and the last thing you want is somebody like me blowing smoke up your ass. And I've seen geographic concerns expressed by some on this forum.

But it's not like this is 1925 and it's not like you're in Tokyo. Everybody travels nowadays and it's no big deal. It probably wouldn't take much longer to get to Storrs than it takes to fly to Pittsburgh and drive to Morgantown.

Besides, you're the ones who will have to bear the brunt of the travel burden. Everybody else in the conference will just have to come to UConn once or twice per sporting season. You're the ones who will spending half your time in the midwest/southwest.

I definitely think UConn would make the best addition to the Big 12, especially if the six qualifications Boren cited really are the factors considered.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My prediction:

UConn and Cincinnati in all sports. BYU and CSU for football only.

From the Ubben article:
Multiple Big 12 sources indicated that Cincinnati and Connecticut top the Big 12's "fluid," so-called "wish list," but Oklahoma president David Boren noted that the Big 12 is still open to expanding by two or four teams. News could come quick, too. Bowlsby told ESPN that the league could conceivably vote on specific expansion candidates as soon as September.

As for BYU? It can take heart in Bowlsby also telling CBS that the league is open to "football-only" members. That would eliminate one big negative for BYU's inclusion into the league: a policy of not playing on Sundays that could have a big impact on several Big 12 sports and postseason championship schedules.​

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My prediction:

UConn and Cincinnati in all sports. BYU and CSU for football only.
How about the wacky notion that they pass on CSU at this time because maybe Colorado (and Arizona State) could be available in the future if the PAC 12 continues to struggle with its own tv deal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Boren said, "... strength of their athletic department, fan base, media market, reputation, integrity and academic standing..." I think that bodes very well for UConn and it's because those very factors also strike me as the most logical criteria that I've been reading and contributing to this forum over the past few months.

I'm just a Texas fan in Austin interested in what's best for the Horns. I don't have any emotional connection to UConn or Connecticut or even the northeast.

But I believe a sustainable Big 12 with a happy, committed Texas and OU is in Texas' best interest. I have believed all along that a 12 member, two division, CCG conference format would be best for the Big 12. And when I look at candidates, UConn has always struck me as best.

Media members seem to love BYU but I'll admit I have an animosity towards church schools. SMU killed the SWC and Baylor sullied the Big 12. Maybe BYU is a good church school and my prejudice is unfair. If WVU wasn't in the Big 12 maybe I'd be more open to entertaining the idea. But with the Big 12 having a stake in the ground in Morgantown, Provo just seems to spread the geographic footprint too far. I just can't see BYU being a better fit than UConn.

Others say Cincy is ready and Houston is splashy but when I look at the facebook map of college football fans (I love those things) those schools don't even have enough fans to carry their own cities.

I think the phrase "academic standing" eliminates Memphis. And don't they have a history of NCAA violations?

I know you're all probably pretty fed up with the entire process and the last thing you want is somebody like me blowing smoke up your ass. And I've seen geographic concerns expressed by some on this forum.

But it's not like this is 1925 and it's not like you're in Tokyo. Everybody travels nowadays and it's no big deal. It probably wouldn't take much longer to get to Storrs than it takes to fly to Pittsburgh and drive to Morgantown.

Besides, you're the ones who will have to bear the brunt of the travel burden. Everybody else in the conference will just have to come to UConn once or twice per sporting season. You're the ones who will spending half your time in the midwest/southwest.

I definitely think UConn would make the best addition to the Big 12, especially if the six qualifications Boren cited really are the factors considered.

One of the encouraging comments, was that they looked at what happens to schools who move into a better league, and shockingly, they improve. That comment was directed at UConn in my opinion. A 1-AA school that jumped to the Big East and did quite well. UConn is the school, due to facilities, overall fan base and commitment to athletics that is best positioned to make a leap. When recruits see a B12 schedule available if they come to UConn, we will see rapid improvement in recruiting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So I had Sirius Channel 91 on the radio on my way to work at 8 A.M. Taylor Z.'s opinion on Big-12 expansion: He wants Houston & Memphis added & if they to to 4 additions also add Colorado State & BYU. He was adamant. Rule #1-the pundits have spoken.

Sure, that is a nice little package geography wise, but it falls well short of maximizing tv revenue. If the concern here is maximizing revenues - particularly positioning the conf for the next tv deal in 2026, hard to see how anything but a combination of BYU (national fan base)/UConn (NY/NE tv markets)/Cincy (Ohio market) and one direction FL school (FL - 18MM people) doesn't deliver the most $$ - by a country mile.

Reaction Score

Rule #1 will be promoted from a Theory to a Law come November . . .

Reaction Score
Hopefully we do a better job greasing palms this time than the last few times.

Reaction Score
In other news, UConnDan97 cleaned his apartment, made a candlelight dinner and bought the finest wine. About to close the deal when she disclosed that she had a headache. And genital herpes.

and disclosed she was a he-she.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Damn you. Damn you all!

We're Doomed, damn it! Doooooomed!

Reaction Score
How about the wacky notion that they pass on CSU at this time because maybe Colorado (and Arizona State) could be available in the future if the PAC 12 continues to struggle with its own tv deal.
ASU is not going to the B12. LA is an easy drive from Phoenix on the I10 .
Other destinitation are easy to get to with inexpensive west bound air.
Also very few transplants have ties to B12 areas , the majority are from B1G country or Pacific NW and California . With the addition of Utah and Colo the Pac is by far the best destination.
This state is culturally a suburb of California in many respects, politics is the exception. The predominant accent is even Californian..

Reaction Score
Question from a friend in Texas.
"You always said that UConn was forever the bridesmaid and left at the altar because the feeling among P-5 Conferences was that the Huskies would always be there for the taking if and when the time came. If these UConn B12 rumors are valid right now why would the ACC or B1G want to cede access to their valuable Northeast/NYC footprint? Any chance you may get a call from either? "

Reaction Score
"You always said that UConn was forever the bridesmaid and left at the altar because the feeling among P-5 Conferences was that the Huskies would always be there for the taking if and when the time came. If these UConn B12 rumors are valid right now why would the ACC or B1G want to cede access to their valuable Northeast/NYC footprint? Any chance you may get a call from either? "
That "no one will take us because we'll always be available" argument was always BS anyway. It doesn't even make any sense.

UConn is in the AAC due to a combination of:
  • Getting a late start even trying to move to another conference, because our leadership didn't see the P5 coming until it was too late
  • Bias against the school from the ACC for a variety of reasons (BC wants their territory, certain schools look at UConn as the main driver of the lawsuit thanks to Dandy D|ck Blumenthal, and the football schools don't like our crappy football...go figure)
  • Louisville was available for the ACC during the last round of expansion, and they always were a solid candidate, and taking them blocked them from going to the Big 12, which is where they really belong.
  • The B1G saw Rutgers as a better add for the NYC market

I suppose you could argue that one of the reasons the ACC took Louisville instead of UConn was because geography would likely prevent the Big 12 from being interested in us, and Louisville was right in their footprint, so if either school was likely to be available later it would be us. But really, Louisville was always a strong add in every category except academics, which we all know no one really cares about.

There's no conspiracy. Just a string of bad breaks.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That "no one will take us because we'll always be available" argument was always BS anyway. It doesn't even make any sense.

UConn is in the AAC due to a combination of:
  • Getting a late start even trying to move to another conference, because our leadership didn't see the P5 coming until it was too late
  • Bias against the school from the ACC for a variety of reasons (BC wants their territory, certain schools look at UConn as the main driver of the lawsuit thanks to Dandy D|ck Blumenthal, and the football schools don't like our crappy football...go figure)
  • Louisville was available for the ACC during the last round of expansion, and they always were a solid candidate, and taking them blocked them from going to the Big 12, which is where they really belong.
  • The B1G saw Rutgers as a better add for the NYC market

I suppose you could argue that one of the reasons the ACC took Louisville instead of UConn was because geography would likely prevent the Big 12 from being interested in us, and Louisville was right in their footprint, so if either school was likely to be available later it would be us. But really, Louisville was always a strong add in every category except academics, which we all no no one really cares about.

There's no conspiracy. Just a string of bad breaks.
Sounds like BC and some of the ACC members conspired to keep UConn out of the ACC, and indirectly the P5.

Reaction Score
Sounds like BC and some of the ACC members conspired to keep UConn out of the ACC, and indirectly the P5.
Haha, yeah I guess. But my point is there was always an explanation for not taking UConn beyond "oh, well they'll always be there if we need them".

Mostly it's Paul Pasqualoni's fault.

Reaction Score
YES!!! I'm hoping that we get involved in a bidding war between the Big 12, ACC and B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom