My Anti-Courant Pledge | Page 4 | The Boneyard

My Anti-Courant Pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Great point. The media industry just became liberal a few years ago when it started dying.

Seriously? Just looking to pick fights tonight I see.

Obviously this is not a new dynamic. Journalism has always attracted a certain kind of person.

The economic demise of the medium is making it more stark. For an talented person to stay in the industry with the ceiling on earnings, more often they will be very committed to their ideals.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seriously? Just looking to pick fights tonight I see.

Obviously this is not a new dynamic. Journalism has always attracted a certain kind of person.

The economic demise of the medium is making it more stark. For an talented person to stay in the industry with the ceiling on earnings, more often they will be very committed to their ideals.

The media industry is becoming more conservative if anything. And people are less likely to stay committed to their ideals when times are tough. They are looking for a paycheck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have to admit part of the reason I subscribe to the JI is because they cover the state capital. I don't even read it many days.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The media does have a bias in that they prefer writing easy, sloppy pieces on personalities, or so-called gaffes. They call it "optics", which is a nice word for made-up BS that becomes "conventional wisdom". They do a poor job on reporting the mechanics of policy and power, like how legislation actually affects people, and what interests are influencing the process. Though I should say on the average, some newspaper reporters do a better job of this than any cable news channel whether those are supposedly liberal or conservative. The main problem is that media has learned to suck up to power, when it's supposed to be the fourth estate that challenges power no matter which party has the executive or legislative government.

Reaction Score
is that supposed to come down that soon? wow, here's to hoping a new barn is on the way

Sorry late to respond but yes, first week of Feb. Very big implications on UConn's alignment chances and the future of the region.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
There is a fairly simple reason why newspapers are 'liberal'.

The people writing them make nothing. They get laid off in incredible numbers. Of course they identify with liberal causes.

true. they make squat and are delusional ex hippies, children of WWII parents whom they resent. Ever read Lender? He has major wood for high paid govt employees, especially their retirement pay.

Reaction Score
To ALL of the Basketball posters who want UConn football to go away answer me this..... What proof/guarantee do you have that UConn dropping football would lead to the big east begging for UConn to join? Sounds like the bbal board is living on a prayer

I'm one of those bb fans- although I'm not calling for fb to go away, in 5-years the school will have to make a hard decision. What troubles me is that so many, including me, think that our invitation to a P5 will be in the mail as soon as we start winning games. That is wishful thinking which we all share. But less the people in charge know something (like an offer is under the board as soon as we can provide cover for them by showing an upswing- who in the world would give an offer to a school going 1 and 10), we may never get an offer. Perhaps there will be an elite of the elites. Perhaps we will join the armies of salvation- those schools refusing to sell the spirit of the student-athlete for big bucks.
As for the new BE, do keep in mind that we have more then a history there. We have teams there that are bringing prestige to the conf. Remove(?) fb and I see no reason why the shoes/conf doesn't fit. Again, this is not an argument for dropping fb, but one that say judgement day will have to be faced soon or later.
What really puzzle me is that you fb people think that you should be in a P5 conf. Should you not concentrate on showing that you can play with the top half of the aac? The reality is that when wbb is taken out of the equation we are at best in the middle of the conf in everthing else. Not even in mbb are we the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom