MVP | The Boneyard

MVP

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The regular season and finals MVP deserves her own thread too.

WNBA title proves to be Stewart's destiny

"Stewie is not the kind who breaks the door down, and comes in and goes, 'Watch me!' " Auriemma said as he stood outside the cramped but joyous Storm locker room at EagleBank Arena. "She's never been like that. So I wasn't surprised it took her a couple of years to get the lay of the land, see how everything worked, see what the pro game was all about.

"And then once she figures it all out, then, 'Boom!' It probably wasn't going to happen for her as a rookie, the way it did when she was a freshman. But it wasn't going to take her 10 years, either. This is in keeping with her personality. She's the most unassuming, low-key superstar."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"For Sue to have Stewie come into her life at the right time, it's kind of like the absolute perfect ingredient that Sue needed to put a capper on her career," Auriemma said. "And maybe this isn't even it for her. She could win another one. To see this in person, it's really hard to describe."

"The bigger the game gets, the lower her heart rate gets, it seems. Most players get really excited or nervous. For Stewie, it's like everything is in slow motion for her. It's a big game, and it's like, 'When do I prove to everybody that I am who I am? I'll do that now.' That's just how Stewie is."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Carl

WNBA title puts Stewart in another exclusive club

"It's truly remarkable that Stewie has accomplished this latest feat only weeks after turning 24 years old," ESPN analyst and Class of 2017 Naismith Hall of Fame inductee Rebecca Lobo said. "She's such a special talent. She told us during the semifinals, 'I was built for these moments' and then proved it time and time again. We're all so lucky that we get to watch her greatness for the next 10-15 years."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How can you not love Stewie? She reminds me of another recent great player - Tamika Catchings - humble, unassuming, leads by example, never creates a fuss, doubt either ever got/will get a technical... and both had tremendously loud games - different styles of course, but just so much heart and talent.

Reaction Score
thumb.aspx

s-l1600.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is at least half right:

The Ice Woman, see, yeah...The Ice Woman ... she'll lock you out and smile, see!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
While talking about Stewie in his press conference Hughes said:

"In the course of the game I happened to look down a bit . . . and all of a sudden there's CD and Geno and I knew how well she was coached and I knew not only had she been coached but she had been in these moments. And that wasn't lost on me."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One other side note that no one has mentioned, aside from winning the championship, No one got hurt last night!!! Everyone left the arena as they arrived, walking straight, upright, and without a limp or a concussion. That's a WIN-WIN!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
One other side note that no one has mentioned, aside from winning the championship, No one got hurt last night!!! Everyone left the arena as they arrived, walking straight, upright, and without a limp or a concussion. That's a WIN-WIN!!! :)

Not quite true. Sanders got banged up diving for a loose ball late in the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not quite true. Sanders got banged up diving for a loose ball late in the game.

You are correct. :oops: I was aware that LaToya Sanders (Mystics) was injured diving for a loose ball going out of bounds in front of her bench, and did not return. In my mind, when I wrote that, I was selfishly/ashamedly referring to players for the Storm, the team I was pulling for.

Regardless of the importance of any game (on any level), I never want to see any player(s) injure themselves.
I sincerely hope and pray that she recovers quickly and completely. It's that type of "reckless" hustle that rubs off on teammates, and wins ball games/championships. Thanks for the correction. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope LaToya is not seriously hurt, but a key point was that the four USA Basketball National Team members were not hurt any further.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You have really made it when the President of the WNBA publicly refers to you in full voice on national television as "My Girl, Stewie!!"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is their any significance to the swirl pattern on Genos' T-Shirt?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom