MVP vs MOP | The Boneyard

MVP vs MOP

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wanted to place this on the basketball thread but some of the righteous whiners there would complain it has no business posted there but love all the crazy food and TV show, etc arguments.
Anyway - I fully agree that Mike Trout is an outstanding player - a baseball freak - and is arguable the best all around player.
I just don't see him as the most valuable player. Who was he valuable to? Himself? His Team? Would the Angels still not qualify for the playoffs without him this past season?
I know many will say that for years they give it to the best overall player but is that player always the most Valuable to his team?
I would love to see the nomenclature of the award be changed to Most Outstanding Player or give out 2 awards - the real MVP to their team and the MOP
Am I in the minority thinking this way?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks for moving it here
Should have posted here but to be honest, I forgot about this area!!!
Thanks again

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think Bregman should’ve won simply because he had a higher WAR thanks to Trout being injured for an entire month.

interesting that trout less hurt By the voters than yelich.

Reaction Score
What a joke that DJ wasnt even an MVP candidate, yes Trout is the best player in the game and its not his fault that the Angels suck, health should also be a factor. DJ was the one healthy Yankee all year (Gleyber too) played GG caliber D at multiple positions batted I believe over 400 with men on base, batted 330 with over 100 RBI, of course playoffs dont factor into these awards but for what its worth he batted .381 in the playoffs and was clutch with no production around him in the ALCS, just a joke Seaman from the As was a finalist over him shouldn't have been a finalist over Gleyber let alone DJ.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What a joke that DJ wasnt even an MVP candidate, yes Trout is the best player in the game and its not his fault that the Angels suck, health should also be a factor. DJ was the one healthy Yankee all year (Gleyber too) played GG caliber D at multiple positions batted I believe over 400 with men on base, batted 330 with over 100 RBI, of course playoffs dont factor into these awards but for what its worth he batted .381 in the playoffs and was clutch with no production around him in the ALCS, just a joke Seaman from the As was a finalist over him shouldn't have been a finalist over Gleyber let alone DJ.

That's about as homerish an opinion as you'll ever see.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually, I can’t imagine one player fitting the MVP definition more than LeMahieu this year. That team has no chance of being what it was with that many key injuries (most NFL teams have fewer players shelved for such long stretches) without LeMahieu. In the field at several positions and obviously at the bat. He might not have been the best player - he wasn’t far off - but nobody was more valuable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That list means absolutely nothing to me.

Of course not. You're a Yankee fan, ergo you know zip about the rest of baseball and are incapable of objectivity.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Of course not. You're a Yankee fan, ergo you know zip about the rest of baseball and are incapable of objectivity.
And you are, well, an arschloch, and as such deserve disdain and contempt heaped upon you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom