Must Read Story about Kristi Toliver and the life of a female pro | The Boneyard

Must Read Story about Kristi Toliver and the life of a female pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing the story. Gives real insight into the realities of what it means to be a professional women's basketball player.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The WNBA needs to make its players want to stay in the country by incentivizing it, not penalizing leaving. In the future, why would a top player stay here to make $100,000 when she can make so much more overseas? I know the competition is better, but when you start tacking on fines and penalties for leaving early or missing games, I wouldn't be surprised if a top player just says "Screw it" and plays in Russia exclusively.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nice long interesting read, thanks

Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching Kristi up close for four years. Great read! Thanks for linking that.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I recall Geno in pursuit of recruit Kristi....he called her a 'small Sue Bird'...pretty high praise.

Reaction Score
Until the WNBA becomes stronger financially the women will have to play overseas because the W simply can't afford to pay those kinds of salaries today. I don't when or even if that day will ever come, I'm amazed that the WNBA has lasted as long as it has.

G

genosguy

Great story, great writing -- a little sad though. I jumped up like nobody's business when she hit that shot against Duke. Tough situation. LINK
Did you read that in the DNR?? It was a bit long, but it did speak to the problems of all WNBA/European American College players have in the days of travel and seeking to build a financial future.
Many of the best (like Sue and DT) have had medical, physical and burn out issues. Anyone that travels a lot knows that it's not fun and games just to get from point a to point b. Geno addressed that in one of his shows. Toliver, whose dad coaches a local AAU team and is an NBA coach--gave her a great start--got one NC at MD --expectations for more were never met.
But the good WNBA players get near or over 1,000,000 dollars per year in Europe if not between that an the WNBA. Nice money--but not comparible to the NBA.

G

genosguy

I had the pleasure of watching Kristi up close for four years. Great read! Thanks for linking that.
I watched her at Broadway, Harrisonburg and Spotswood HS. She was the Streak's go to (all the time) player. The Gobblers were not even an "also ran" against her team.

Reaction Score
Didn't see this thread so I deleted mine.

Playing basketball year round sounds like fun until you have to do it, I guess. Being away from home is probably the hardest part.

The players are in a bad position- do they stay in the WNBA and try to make it like the NBA so they don't have to go overseas? Or do they go for the money and possibly forfeit playing for the country?

I don't blame her and wish her the best of luck!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think I saw it addressed - maybe not - but the ESPN short on BG with significant appearances by Maya Moore discussing playing in China and the reasons for doing so that aired this past weekend - blew my mind.

Frank and honest comments from both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom