geno-hero.jpg

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Good read. Thanks for posting.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
We have Geno....and let's be thankful for that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Most of this we saw last fall at the time of the meeting and the initial report but it was a good read then and is worth rereading now. Thanks for posting it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not just the best coach ever, but always looking to grow and improve the game. Amazing read...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that in one of the pictures at the right (taken following a National Championship), Stacy Marron was incorrectly identified as Ashley Valley?

Fact-checking, please ...

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
“What are we going to do,” he asked, “to get really good?” - See more at: http://www.ncaachampionmagazine.org...-attention-yet/#sthash.gtg5AxuU.1SMsnoz9.dpuf

This is just FANTASTIC. I tried to start a thread last week and have before on the importance of teaching, especially teaching coaches, for the future of the sport. Geno says it all here, and more, and this is just exactly what is needed. What a wonderful thing he has done in writing this. Now the implementation...that's a must. But what needs to happen is really all here, and so beautifully expressed. I'm just overjoyed with this!!! Time for the most practical and brilliant of the coaches, from high school on up, to seize the day and get moving.

I'm so worried about the sport of baseball, which I love so much, that and women's basketball, and both are threatened. This is a great great thing!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Nice article (did the nitpickers find the error?)

I'm too lazy to check, but did we discuss the fact that when the first night game was played, they considered using the men's ball for one half and the women's ball for the other half, but Geno nixed it?

Frankly, I'm not on-board with his argument that the smaller ball is harder to shoot.

How do we get Mythbusters to check it out?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice article (did the nitpickers find the error?)

I'm too lazy to check, but did we discuss the fact that when the first night game was played, they considered using the men's ball for one half and the women's ball for the other half, but Geno nixed it?

Frankly, I'm not on-board with his argument that the smaller ball is harder to shoot.

How do we get Mythbusters to check it out?

Depends on the type of shot. There is agreement that making lay-ups is more difficult with the smaller basketball. Mike Thibault -- who has coached in the NBA and WNBA -- has said this consistently:

Then there's Connecticut Sun coach Mike Thibault, who has championed a bigger basketball from the day he walked into the state.

"You'll miss less layups with the bigger ball," he said. "The men's basketball is heavier and goes off the square more regularly. The lighter ball bounces off more easily. You start throwing it up there instead of laying it in."

Reaction Score
That is the complete history of how you build a successful WCBB team from scratch. He and CD are the architect's of the best WCBB story ever........Thank you.......

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for Mike, but this sounds like a scientific question, and that's not a scientific answer.

To state the obvious, if I used a much bigger ball, at the extreme, one with a larger diameter than the hole, the percentage would go down. So what is the optimum size? Is it larger than the current men's ball? It would be an astounding coincidence if the arbitrarily chosen size of the ball and rim happened to be the optimum size.

Or is weight more important than size (Careful, don't go there....)

A good scientific test would use balls of varying size and weights. It would be easy to make a women's size ball the same weight as the men's ball, to see if Mike's emphasis on weight is key.

The main problem with going to Mythbusters is that they like to blow up stuff, and this doesn't quite have a same appeal as the JATO myth.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I believe Geno's main complaint about the ball is weight. He says the lighter ball comes off the rim like a ping pong ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom