Must read: Calhoun on the BE-" It's Time to Move on" | The Boneyard

Must read: Calhoun on the BE-" It's Time to Move on"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is time, Big East is done. Let's get this deal done now. Its looking like its ACC or bust.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Hmmm.

Since he's gonna be in the Chicago area tomorrow, it wouldn't be too much trouble for him to take a quick visit to Jim Delany's office and talk over a few things, would it?...

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Hmmm.

Since he's gonna be in the Chicago area tomorrow, it wouldn't be too much trouble for him to take a quick visit to Jim Delany's office and talk over a few things, would it?...

+1

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
It is time, Big East is done. Let's get this deal done now. Its looking like its ACC or bust.
Very depressing. As one who witnessed the birth of the BE as a student(and who broadcast our first BE game, vs Seton Hall, on WHUS), I feel outraged, disbelieving and several other emotions.
But JC is right--the REAL Big East ceased to exist about 10 years ago with the influx of teams from different time zones.

Reaction Score
The expansion of the BE 10 years ago (10 years!!!) was really only an expansion of basketball play, and made some sense with the lesser travel expense and recruiting expense (and revenue accretion) for the schools participating. But this time, it's the football engine driving the change. Think bowl games and television contracts.

In these terms, do Syracuse and Pitt make much sense??? Neither commands a major TV market, nd I would question their drawing power for the future. But then, how much sense did the addition of BCU make when it left the Big East. I believe the ACC simply over=estimated that school's importance in the major Boston TV market. BCU never was a major player in that arena.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The expansion of the BE 10 years ago (10 years!!!) was really only an expansion of basketball play, and made some sense with the lesser travel expense and recruiting expense (and revenue accretion) for the schools participating. But this time, it's the football engine driving the change. Think bowl games and television contracts.

In these terms, do Syracuse and Pitt make much sense??? Neither commands a major TV market, nd I would question their drawing power for the future. But then, how much sense did the addition of BCU make when it left the Big East. I believe the ACC simply over=estimated that school's importance in the major Boston TV market. BCU never was a major player in that arena.
I really like Cuse and Pitt and hate their loss from the BE. But if I'm FSU or VT I would be questioning how these additions help create opportunities for football NCs. The BE held off adding the likes of UCF and ECU because they would not offer an upgrade in sports for the conference. Pitt and Cuse offer bb. Duke and NC must be ecstatic. But football? Nostalgia is worthless. Nebraska proved that. Pitt and Cuse and BC proved that. Nobody in Russia is wearing Soviet Union tee shirts. I don't buy that Pitt and Syracuse bring branding. And the markets they offer, as everybody points out, are limited. This was a defensive and weak move made by the ACC and Cuse and Pitt imo. And even if UConn joins this conference I won't celebrate the move although I will be relieved. But everyone in that conference better hope FSU and VT and/or Clemson remain in the conference otherwise the move would be a downgrade from the BE football wise and a lateral move bb wise. Not a great business decision to ruin so much legitimate branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom