musicians stepping out of their usual genre | The Boneyard

musicians stepping out of their usual genre

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is it just me or has it already been a long off season? Okay, here's something I don't think we've done before. Plenty of artists are genre defying, so just make up your own rules and have fun with it. I'm looking forward to what some of my cohorts will come up with.

I'll start with this. I've never been able to figure out if this was done mockingly or sincerely, but either way it's a pretty darn good country tune from a band who isn't country.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Same. Sounds country-ish, pretty surprising from GNR.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This is a symphonic metal band that maybe dabbled with a bit of folk metal elements in a few songs previously, but went all in with this one. I mean you've got a hammer dulcimer, what's more metal than that? :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not exactly genre-hopping, but here’s Metallica performing at Elton John and Bernie Taupin’s Gershwin Prize show a few werks ago. Best performance of the evening IMO.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This was one of their biggest hits and was considered mainstream, but it always seemed so vastly different from their other stuff to me. But it had to be to fit the song.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This is probably more a mashup than genre hopping. Illenium is one of the bigger names in EDM, he does collabs with a bunch of different singers/artists. But...usually not growlers. Spiritbox is some kind of indie hard rock or metal, I'm not even sure what sub category they get thrown into. They might have some electronic elements but certainly not to this degree. Anyway I'd say a departure from the norm for both parties involved.

Reaction Score
I'm not doing a song but the two obvious performers are Taylor Swift and Beyonce. You can add Darius Rucker to that list.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It doesn’t get mych more genre-bending than two metal goddesses breaking out into the dolorosa from a Stabet Mater.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This was quite a departure from rap/rock for Kid Rock. And probably a departure for Sheryl Crow to combine with a rapper.

Picture - Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow

Kid Rock later went country, but this was one of his first ventures into it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that this one fits the theme, but I had to try since it's by Annette, my teen crush. Kay Starr's original was better, it's just good to see Annette again. RIP

Reaction Score
The nerdy thing to do was to actually flip over a hit 45 and listen to the other side. Flipping The Chipmunk Song and finding Almost Good, which was more than good. I played it far more than the Chippies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Adrienne Cowan is my favorite young metal singer. This is her stepping away from the mic to render Hans Zimmer’s beautiful theme from Interstellar.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Bending, not breaking. Composed by blind British pianist Alec Templeton. A long time favorite.

Reaction Score
I guess more of a genre combo than a genre switch from The Bellamy Brothers. Some Reggae steel guitar.
(You've Got To) Get Into Reggae, Cowboy

Reaction Score
Brian Setzer went from what I call "modern rockabilly" with the Stray Cats to a big band sound and swing music with his orchestra.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Bending, not breaking. Composed by blind British pianist Alec Templeton. A long time favorite.

Goodman was a bit of a renaissance man. He commissioned Aaron Copland to write the Clarinet Concerto. Did any other jazz/swing players of that era play any “serious” orchestral music?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Goodman was a bit of a renaissance man. He commissioned Aaron Copland to write the Clarinet Concerto. Did any other jazz/swing players of that era play any “serious” orchestral music?
As far as I can remember, the other leading jazz clarinetists who had their own bands or small ensembles, Artie Shaw, Woody Herman, Sidney Bechet, Pee Wee Russell, Jimmy Giuffre, et al., didn't cross over with any frequency.

Eddie Daniels did do some impressive classical recordings. His technique was far superior to Goodman's.

The cadenza around 6:00 is a gem.

Reaction Score
I saw Jimi Hendrix at Lincoln Center in NYC not long before he died. He had a larger ensemble than we had been used to, and the music was very jazzy. I understand he was talking with Miles Davis about collaborating. Jimi's tragic death put an end to that possibility. See Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis: The Almost Legendary Collaboration - Musiclipse.

P.S.: I visited Jimi's grave in Seattle last year. It's well worth a visit. There's a monument there with a large bronze guitar--upside down, of course.

Reaction Score
David Lee Roth stepping away from pure rock to do a cover of a Louis Prima number...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom