Musical Acts At UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Musical Acts At UConn

Reaction Score
That reminds me of a funny story. It was my junior or senior year at UCONN (1969, 1970). I was living at Chi Phi. It was a spring concert featuring Martha & the Vandellas and Richie Havens. I was double dating with my future wife. We arrived at von der Mehden hall looking forward to a great concert. The show was supposed to start at 1:00. Well 1:00 we’re getting ready, 1:15 starting to get restless, 1:30 starting to get annoyed. Finally at 1:45 a guy comes out on stage and says Martha & the Vandellas won’t be making it because Martha is sick. Then he says the where abouts of Richie Havens is unknown and tells everyone to exit the hall. It turns out Richie Haven’s was so stoned he missed the UCONN exit on I84 and almost drove all the way to Boston. He drove back to UCONN about 3 hours later and did a mini concert outside one of the fraternity houses.

Reaction Score
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Spring Weekend '88
Robert Palmer - Jorgensen Fall '88
Little Feat - Spring Weekend '89
Living Colour - Spring Weekend '91

Here's a list of all the acts that played at UCONN since 1955.
Fleetwood Mac was at the Field House, not Jorgensen. They opened for Renaissance. Also can't forget Shaboo - Edgar and Johnny Winter, Elvin Bishop, BB King, James Cotton, Steppenwolf and many more - that place was awesome - fire trap but awesome.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also can't forget Shaboo - that place was awesome - fire trap but awesome.
Lucky that when it burned down, nobody was there. Whew!

Reaction Score
I want to say it was The Alarm and Cheap Trick.

Also, I remember The Hooters, UB40 with The Untouchables (who were phenomenal), INXS, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Smithereens, General Public. Not a concert, but the hypnotist James Mapes would perform at Jorgensen every year.
Yeah I remember all of those shows. Loved the Smithereens. Couple of my recollections...….was walking through the Field House and heard music, walked over and 10,000 Maniacs was playing. Didn't even realize they were there but good show (cannot believe Fleetwood Mac played the Field House!). Went to see Moody Blues at Jorgenson and was just there for a show with a bunch of kids from the dorm and they were way better than I expected. Robert Palmer was really good too. INXS had booked their tour in advance and played UConn right when their album Kick was blowing up and either a song or the album was #1 at the time they played in Storrs - great show. Met SRV in the field house area behind the stage as we were coming back from a baseball practice or something and he was going out to play or warm up.

James Mapes - LOVED his show every year. We always seemed to have a kid or two from the dorm who would make it on stage and make an out of themselves. Fun stuff.

Reaction Score
Lucky that when it burned down, nobody was there. Whew!
You got that right. Went there many times, but always tried to position myself where I could enjoy the show but not be too far from an exit. Made it more enjoyable but they didn't do much to discourage what was at the time illegal activity - guess it still is in CT.

Reaction Score
i am younger than most in this thread -- very interesting read!

i saw some cool stuff at uconn (2010 - 2014) but maybe the strangest and most notable was st. vincent on the south campus quad opening up for the crappy 2000's emo-pop band all time low. she got famous like a year or two later.

my dad (class of '75) would always tell me about seeing bruce springsteen open up for aerosmith in the ice arena parking lot in 1974.

Reaction Score
Surprised no one has mentioned Dave Matthews yet. Acoustic show with Tim Reynolds at Jorgensen in Feb 1996. Played for three hours, great show.

IIRC, men played Notre Dame in Gampel that afternoon.

Reaction Score
NRBQ outdoors in 1979. (Maybe '78?).
We camped out all night and that was pretty much when I decided my girlfriend would one day be my wife (-:

Reaction Score
The Fabulous Rhinestones at Shaboo - will always think of my late husband when I hear them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And tears for fears.. (free tix, dating someone at the radio station)
No reason whatsoever to have to make apologies for seeing Tears for Fears. I was supposed to see them at Live Aid but they pulled out at the last minute for some reason I don't recall. Granted, they were far from the reason I was there, but you couldn't live through the 80s and the birth of MTV without an indelible impression of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and "Shout."

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I saw 50 during Spring Weekend. My gosh those weekends were insane. I didn't go to Uconn, but everyone who had a friend at Uconn would be there.

Reaction Score
You got that right. Went there many times, but always tried to position myself where I could enjoy the show but not be too far from an exit. Made it more enjoyable but they didn't do much to discourage what was at the time illegal activity - guess it still is in CT.
Let us not forget the "house band" the Shaboo All Stars with Matt Guitar Murphy.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Didn’t Public Bring the noise to UConn
internet is saying 1991. If memory serves—and google is reliable —-they had to move the start time bc they were on SNL later that night with Michael Jordan hosting
Can anyone confirm or deny.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Let us not forget the "house band" the Shaboo All Stars with Matt Guitar Murphy.
Not me( I was 7) but my older brother class of 76. He said Aztec 2 step was big back then.
They were frequent visitors around campus, I can't for sure say I saw them though, but I have a hazy memory of them? (too long ago and much alcohol and weed - (18 was the drinking age). I think in the mid 70's most of the big acts were playing in New Haven or Hartford; saw most of the concerts at those venues.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
How about Max Creek at the ROTC beer fests. $4 to get in, and $.25 or $.50 beers. Beau Bolaro, a Steely Dan tribute band also played them, they've recently played a few reunion shows at Infinity in Norfolk and are still awesome!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom