86-90

Modern English
Psychedelic Furs
INXS
Joan Jett
Cheap Trick
Oingo Boingo
Husker Du
I remember Joan Jett playing at Memorial Stadium. Can you remember who else played that day?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Saw ( ant hung out with) Branford Marsalis at jorgenson early 90’s. Excellent night.
I'm going to take a wild guess at where you guys went to eat.

Reaction Score
Billy Joel
America
The Kinks
Tower of Power
Harry Belafonte
John Valby
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
The Outlaws
Rick Derringer
Ben Harper
Canadien Brass Band
Bela Fleck
Gordon Lightfoot
Rufus Wainwright
Wynton Marsalis
Mickey Hart Planet Drum show
Boston Pops
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Natalie Merchant
Jack Daniels Silver Cornet Band
Judy Collins
Tony Bennett
Jorma Kaukonen
Betty Buckley
Melissa Manchester & Paul Williams
The Chieftains
Arlo Guthrie
Marshall Tucker

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone have pics of what a stage looks like at Gampel. I can’t picture it in my head

Reaction Score
I remember Joan Jett playing at Memorial Stadium. Can you remember who else played that day?
I want to say it was The Alarm and Cheap Trick.

Also, I remember The Hooters, UB40 with The Untouchables (who were phenomenal), INXS, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Smithereens, General Public. Not a concert, but the hypnotist James Mapes would perform at Jorgensen every year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Jean Luc-Ponty opening for The Kinks at the Jorgensen in 1976 is still one of the most unusual double billings I've ever seen. Ray thought he was in Hartford. This was right after The Kinks signed with Arista after releasing a half dozen poor-selling concept albums (although "Schoolboys" was the most recent and was actually pretty a pretty good rocker). The Jorg wasn't even sold out that night. Two years later they were selling out arenas.

Reaction Score
I can't remember them all, but definitely Ramones on the student union mall (last time concert was there) was one of the most fun days I've ever had.
Yep with SOS Band. Great day

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not a concert, but the hypnotist James Mapes would perform at Jorgensen every year.

Mapes must've moved up in the world after I graduated in '78. Back then he used to perform at Van Der Mehden. Always a wild show though.

Reaction Score
The 1974 free concert near the old hockey rink with Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, Fairport convention, and Fat Back. Fairport convention was the headliner, Springsteen and Aerosmith were just starting out. I checked about 5 years ago and at that time all four bands were still performing. Fairport convention was still very big in the UK and Fat Back was still regionally popular in New Orleans.
The day was great, weather in the 80's in April and the Springsteen and Aerosmith performances were incredible.

Attachments

• doc02033620200616130605.pdf
    132.5 KB · Views: 195

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I saw Paul Young ("Come Back and Stay") at Jorgensen. Katrina & the Waves opened for him or the Hooters, can't remember. I think Robert Palmer was there too between 85 & 90.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers w/ The Jungle Brothers

XClan

Otis Day and the Knights

Living Colour - does anyone know the name of the band that opened for Living Colour that day???

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Not a concert, but the hypnotist James Mapes would perform at Jorgensen every year.

He would come pre-hypnotise some people at a few dining halls before the show. I seem to remember him putting a lemon slice in his mouth and those chosen few would rush the stage and he'd do all kinds of crazy stuff with them . . . the women just short of stripping . . .

Reaction Score
Kanye West and Ludacris - Gampel
Q and Not U with Minus the Bear - The Lutheran Church on 195
PieBald - South Dining Hall
Coheed and Cambria - Student Union
Silverstein, Armour for Sleep, Fear Before the March of Flames, and Zebra Head - Student Union
Story of the Year - Towers Dining Hall
My Chemical Romance - Tower Dining Hall
Ben Folds - Jorgensen
Muse - Jorgensen (my god that concert was loud)
Dashboard Confessional - Jorgensen
Chick Corea (with Bela Fleck?) - Jorgensen

Feel like I am missing a bunch but they blend with my trips to the Webster in Hartford.

Reaction Score
My first concert ever was Living Colour, as an 11-year-old, during Spring Weekend. I didn't understand that moshing was a thing. And then I did.

After that, from 98-02 I remember seeing (I think @ UConn and in no order whatsoever) Busta Rhymes, Wyclef, Guster, Nelly, Third Eye Blind, The Violent Femmes, Guster, Rusted Root, Paco de Lucia (far and away the best concert I saw there), Howie Day, Dave and Tim, Ani Difranco, Max Creek, Psychadelic Breakfast, OAR

Reaction Score
Mapes must've moved up in the world after I graduated in '78. Back then he used to perform at Van Der Mehden. Always a wild show though.

Wife and I were telling our kids about Mapes just last weekend. I saw him every year. That's five times!

Reaction Score
Anyone have pics of what a stage looks like at Gampel. I can’t picture it in my head

First off, as a recent graduate I am so jealous that I wasn’t born in a better music era lol.

This is at the Khalid concert, Spring 2018. We were sitting in what is the student section for basketball games (the upper portion).
4338CA32-E7D9-46F4-A808-3219785F34EC.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Otis Day and the Knights

I saw some of the same acts here.

Southside Johnny in fall of 84.
All the spring weekend acts 84-88, including Modern English, Joan Jett. Psych Furs and others.

But we had Otis Day and the Knights come back to our dorm in South after the show. Somebody from the dorm was asked by the band where they'd find a party, and he told them to come back to our dorm. So they did! Very fun memory.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Immortal Technique...free show in a pop up tent on Dow Field to support the janitors.

Lupe Fiasco at Jorgensen
Matisyahu at Jorgensen

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Haha Kanye pulled a diva move and sat down on stage refusing to perform. He wasn't famous enough back then to ride it out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom