Mushnick (NY Post) on JC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mushnick (NY Post) on JC

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Rather than taking the so called ethical angle of running up the score let's call it margin of victory. For many years I have participated in a calcutta( a gambling game where you bid on teams in the tourney and get paid a share of the total pot as your team advances) and MOV was my go to stat. Teams in power conferences with a high MOV (NC, DUKE, KANSAS, UCONN '03-'04 led the nation) consistently outperformed similar teams with lower MOV. For instance, a team like Pitt who was UConns' equal in conference for many years. They always had a lower MOV because they played games in the 60-65 point range versus a UConn which liked to score in the 80's. In the tourney there is a better chance of an upset in a low scoring game than a high scoring. One year Kansas led the nation in MOV and Memphis was one tenth of a point behind. KU beat Memphis in OT to win the title that year. MOV has lost some of it's power as the one and dones have become more common (now I also look for teams with a high win percentage and a lot of upper classmen) but it is still a good indicator for a team to advance in March Madness. So, if and when KO's teams start blowing teams out don't worry yourself with the ethics of running up the score or the fact some walk-on didn't get a bucket in garbage time. Just enjoy the smell of napalm in the morning.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, from a coach's perspective, I think you have to look at motive too - something that's totally guesswork to an observer. Sometimes a coach is trying to built confidence of a player in a minor slump, other times he's trying to built team chemistry, try a lineup and yes give an upperclassman TV visibility or show case talent to an NBA scout. Other times coaches just get caught up in the team executing and lose track of the score.

Having said all that - do I think JC ran up the score to run up the score against BC - LOL Absolutely !

I hope this helps.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, from a coach's perspective, I think you have to look at motive too - something that's totally guesswork to an observer. Sometimes a coach is trying to built confidence of a player in a minor slump, other times he's trying to built team chemistry, try a lineup and yes give an upperclassman TV visibility or show case talent to an NBA scout. Other times coaches just get caught up in the team executing and lose track of the score.

Having said all that - do I think JC ran up the score to run up the score against BC - LOL Absolutely !

I hope this helps.
thank you

Reaction Score
I couldnt care less about the running up the score nonsense. Did the guy writing the article forget the national title game agaisnt Gtech? That game couldve been a 30 point win but JC took the foot off the peddle with about 10 minutes in that game as he clearly didnt want to embarrass coach Hewitt and his kids on national television. Did JC run up the scores at times? Sure he did. But so does every coach at one time or another. Not a big deal. JC is one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time so haters are going to hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom