Mushnick (NY Post) on JC | The Boneyard

Mushnick (NY Post) on JC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is pretty funny. The 2005 game vs. TX Southern....the guys he's complaining about playing only a few minutes were all walk on's except for Ryan Thompson. None of the 10 main guys played more than 27 minutes. We only had 11 scholey players on the bench.

Reaction Score
Didn't JC usually wait for the opposing coach to put up the white flag before he'd let up?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The part where the UConn assistant claims to have told the reporter that "running up the score is a form of reward to top recruits to pad their stats for pro scouts" is both hilarious and actually incredibly clever and I can't believe I never thought of that. Honestly, I say go for it since it can legitimately have an impact on where your players get drafted, thereby netting your more future earnings. I actually don't see anything wrong with that at all.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This flys in the face of what JC would tell kids. Winning, contributing to the team and individual development made a kid enticing to the pros

Reaction Score
Mushnick is still around?!?? Never understood why a guy who hates sports has a sports column, guy is so miserable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The best running up the score whine came from BCU's Jim O'Brien in 1989. After his team quit at halftime and stopped playing defense losing by 37, he tried blaming JC and mumbled something about payback. BCU then went 0-for the 1990's, finally winning in 2001. Of course, BCU got us back off-the-court but I've got my fingers crossed that ends up being a Pyrrhic victory.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The part where the UConn assistant claims to have told the reporter that "running up the score is a form of reward to top recruits to pad their stats for pro scouts" is both hilarious and actually incredibly clever and I can't believe I never thought of that. Honestly, I say go for it since it can legitimately have an impact on where your players get drafted, thereby netting your more future earnings. I actually don't see anything wrong with that at all.
I think mushnick is really overstating the run up the score bit. Typical from him. However JC absolutely used to get his stars to their scoring average in blowouts. I think it is and was a good move . I remember a game I was at in 95-96 season were we were beating central by like 60 or something and Ray was still in there until he got his 20 plus to hit his average. As soon as he hit it, he was out. He used to do it with Donyell and Rip too. An ingenious way to attract elite talent.

Reaction Score
That's what I would call one of those good problems and one that we don't have very often anymore.

Reaction Score
To quote Alec Baldwin (on Harvey Levin): Phil Mushnick is a festering boil on the anus of American media. I'm sure Jason Whitlock is champing at the bit to take over his column.

quoting Phallic Baldwin.....that'll show 'em

Reaction Score
When JC's teams killed another team and someone would complain about running up the score JC would always tell the same story. I think it was JC's first year in the Big East and UConn lost big to St. John's. After the game JC is complaining to Lou Carnesecca about St. John's keeping their starters in too long. Louie says to JC, "Irish, you coach your team, and I'll coach mine." JC said that's the way he looked at it the rest of his career.

C

Chief00

When JC's teams killed another team and someone would complain about running up the score JC would always tell the same story. I think it was JC's first year in the Big East and UConn lost big to St. John's. After the game JC is complaining to Lou Carnesecca about St. John's keeping their starters in too long. Louie says to JC, "Irish, you coach your team, and I'll coach mine." JC said that's the way he looked at it the rest of his career.

Yeah that's what Louie called him and JC loved it. It never ceases to amaze me the stuff some people bring up about JC - running up the score a decade ago.

I still remember JC putting in a reserve relatively early in the game to make a point to Tate George. It was a kid from New London County and JC said to Tate that is how much you suck that I am playing this guy over you.

Another time playing Tom Moore's Q during a snowstorm - a lady who knew both JC and Tom got fed up with JC not putting the walk-ons in with a 40 point lead - she yelled - Jim call off the dogs - he responded - What do you want me to do? Then he sat down waited a minute - since no one can tell Jim what to do besides Louie (LOL) or Pat Calhoun and put in the walk-ons.
I could go on but you get the point.

Reaction Score

Tom Moore absolutely stated this is an article a few years back somewhere. Mushnick picked it up and put it in an article last March. But there was definitely a more local account with Moore around the time he left for Quinnipiac. I'll find it. Below is the other article.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/27/congrats-jets-fan-your-psl-money-goes-to-this-baby-papa/

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So you're saying Mushnik is correct?

Reaction Score
That's what I would call one of those good problems and one that we don't have very often anymore.
53ae44a3552229814206def5de7a2dbc62a8a5d7e8cea1d1a62927b6d9093244.jpg

C

Chief00

I don't agree with the conclusion - Calhoun's rule of thumb was to keep a guy in until he reached his average but not to pad his statistics - there is a ethical difference I think.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the conclusion - Calhoun's rule of thumb was to keep a guy in until he reached his average but not to pad his statistics - there is a ethical difference I think.

Keeping someone in a blowout solely for the purpose of reaching his scoring average is literally what it means to pad statistics.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who the hell cares? A combative idiot comments on something very old that does not relates to the rules but to the "chivalry" of the game.

Reaction Score
So you're saying Mushnik is correct?

I've heard Calhoun tell that story a million times but it provides absolutely no insight on whether or not it's cool to run it up on people.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've heard Calhoun tell that story a million times but it provides absolutely no insight on whether or not it's cool to run it up on people.

No doubt it's a case of whose ox is being gored. OU ran up the score in the Fiesta Bowl and it still hurts UConn.

Reaction Score
Was he checking out the Louisiana’s Southern University -Mississippi Valley womens basketball game on ESPN the Ocho and decided it would be a good time to bash a coach who has been dead for a decade and another one who has been retired for 4 years? I mean what was the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom