Mulkey suspended for 1 postseason game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mulkey suspended for 1 postseason game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am a Uconn fan all the way but I watched that game and Griner got mugged many times with no calls. good for you Mulkey

Maybe if every coach had the bells to publically criticize the crappy WCBB officiating the NCAA might have to improve it. Instead the NCAA imposes a gag rule on the coaches and nothing changes.

Kudos for Mulkey.[/quote]

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Griner got mugged, yes, but they called a ton of fouls on Louisville. Three key players fouled out. Mulkey didn't adjust her game plan to the officiating, and that's her fault. She was so upset about the charge at the end of the game, but it was the right call. Some games are more physical than others, I've certainly seen teams try to play UConn that way, but they usually figure out a way to play through it.

Mulkey blaming the refs for that game is ridiculous. They made an insane amount of shots, but she did absolutely no adjusting to take away the three from them. She had some of the quickest guards in WCBB, and Griner in the back to erase shots, and she couldn't find a way to stop Slaughter (who has a set shot and could easily be contained, just look at the NC game) or Schimmel?

I agree that the officiating in bad across the board, but this just smacks of bitterness.

Reaction Score
Although Griner had to wear her uniform with a Louisville player for most of the game, Mulkey cannot blame the refs totally for the game. The refs weren't the blame for Louisville hitting all those threes, for not adjusting to the physical play and game plan by Waltz. Nor can they be blamed for how the final nine seconds were played out. If she wanted to blame anyone for that loss, she should have taken a good look in the mirror.

You can almost say that the refs almost handed Baylor that game. Three starters for the Cards fouled out and nother had four fouls. They had the lead but the coaching strategy was not the best choice at that time for Mulkey. Sorry, not the refs fault Baylor lost!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm no great Mulkey supporter, but I do hope the refs from that game are held accountable for their shameful performance.

Reaction Score
. . . Maybe if every coach had the bells to publically criticize the crappy WCBB officiating the NCAA might have to improve it. . . .

We all complain about the officiating from time to time, and indeed, there is often much to
complain about.

But when I hear calls for the NCAA to improve the officiating, it isn't clear to me how this improvement
is going to be accomplished. Are we going to hire "better" refs? Where are these "better" refs going
to come from? I would think that the various conference supervisors of officials would point out
mistakes to the officials as they occur, but beyond that, it isn't clear to me what more can be done.

Any suggestions?

Reaction Score
I 100% believe there are better refs doing boys HS games, making less money per game and they would jump at the chance to work college women's basketball. Also worth noting that the supervisor of officials in each conference is an interesting position. Not every conference hires someone with a background in officiating. Sometimes its a golden parachute for a former coach or "friend" of the conference.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, the penalty is almost painless -- anyone in here could coach Baylor to a first-round win in the NCAA's next year.

Actually ... If Eric is right that Baylor will not be a top 20 team, then 1st rd would not be a gimme. I think they'll be better than that but it's not obvious Baylor's first rd game won't br competitive.

Reaction Score
The NCAA pays a lot of teams' expenses during the tournament (or they couldn't participate. Huge costs). NCAA is saying Baylor must bear the cost.

Is that what it meant?
The article referenced the "per diem", which I thought might just be the individual meal allowances that the players get. Are you saying its more than that?

Reaction Score
I'm curious where ETT thinks Baylor will be in the rankings - I think they will struggle to be in the top 20. Probably in the top 25 or so by the end of the year, even with Simms. They just lost way too much. They get Iesia Small and Imani Wright coming in, and they should be solid, but won't be instant impact players (not as good as Banks was as a freshman and we saw how she struggled at times)...

I forgot to add that even if they are "only" a top 25 team, they still should easily get past the 1st round even without Mulkey...
I'd be mildly shocked if Baylor is not top 20. I would guess 10 to 12.

Most BYers overestimate impact of losing key players for F4 caliber teams. The gap between top few teams and the rest is vast. Remember all the predictions about ND a yearcago. Yes Baylor loses way more but the same principle applies.

Dobbs2rover has been articulate on this point.

Reaction Score
I believe this is Mulkeys second time saying something about the refs over the past several years. The way she conducted herself by coming out in front of the media and disrespecting the rule not to say anything about the refs and saying she didn't care if she was fined... Not her finest moment. Baylor having to pickup the costs for the tourney could sting a little. With Griner gone, can Baylor still put bodies in the seats?

Reaction Score
This is true, high school referees do not make great money, so there should be a push to get the best ones to college. Back to the article, can someone explain why the Baylor team would have their per diem revoked? Why should a player suffer because of the comments made by a coach? NCAA always looking power hungry.

I 100% believe there are better refs doing boys HS games, making less money per game and they would jump at the chance to work college women's basketball. Also worth noting that the supervisor of officials in each conference is an interesting position. Not every conference hires someone with a background in officiating. Sometimes its a golden parachute for a former coach or "friend" of the conference.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The players aren't suffering, because Baylor will pick up the cost.

I don't know how many HS refs will want to jump up to college. For a lot of them, it's a part time job for nights and weekends. College refs have to travel a lot more, attend clinics, etc. The money is better, but it might be hard to hold down a 9-5 job at the same time. Not to mention having a family at home, etc.

I think the key is to focus on making the game more consistent. Calling off-the-ball fouls that impede movement might help. So might protecting the shooter more. They should look to the NBA for rule changes that help keep interest and enjoyment in the sport up. Allow more reviews in order to make sure the call was correct (and at the same time, lessen the amount of timeouts each coach gets so that games aren't endless).

Reaction Score
Obviously you're horrified. Do you know the process? How often folks meet? Ya think they may have had other more important issues on their docket?

After you get over your outrage at the timeline, what do you think about the language and the punishment meted out?

Your defensive response sounds like you work for the NCAA! It did not take a task force or committee for this action. Should have been handled immediately or at least in a tighter timeline. You publicly bad mouth referees and usually punish ment is swift, not 90 days later.

Reaction Score
Mulkey was absolutely right about those officials - even by wcbb standards, they were embarrassingly bad that night.

The irony, though, is that Baylor benefited from just about every 50/50 call in the 2nd half. The only questionable one that went Louisville's way was that late charge call, and that didn't happen until after the refs missed a blatant travel on (I think) Pope.

Reaction Score
The first 8-10 minutes of that game were deplorable by how physical Louisville were allowed to be with Griner without the refs doing anything about it. However, in the second half it clearly looked as if the refs were doing everything in their power to help Baylor win. Baylor lost that game because Louisville scored way over their average in this game and Baylor as many others mentioned did not adjust the defense. The fact that Baylor couldn't stop the 3's when they had the best defensive protector in WBB near the basket which allowed for players to cheat out with out being afraid of players passing them, is all on Kim. While I think she is one of the best 3-5 coaches in the game, this one was probably one of her worst coaching jobs ever.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't carry a brief for Coach Mulkey but, if L'Ville had played as "chippy" against us as they did against Baylor, I think Geno and CD would STILL be fuming.

In addition to rattling the team's composure, they took the coach out too.
Maybe but Baylor were hardly shrinking violets last season. BG's manhandling of Steph still bugs me.

It a fine line between physical and dirty play. Whether you think a team crossed that line is probably influenced by your rooting interests.

Reaction Score
I agree with the premise that Baylor will be around the top ten. Mulkey is simply too good of a coach and Sims is a stud. I expect her to really increase her scoring. Her shooting percentage will undoubtedly go down and so will her assist total but I think she'll still be a first team All-American type player. How many teams are outside the top twenty with one of those?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Baylor makes the Elite Eight next season. Sims will be Sims, Prince will have no injuries and will score a lot, Johnson is a very good PG, Small and Wright will be very good and Highins will be solid in the middle. They will have a LOT of talent and Mulkey is better at coaching a guard/forward oriented team than one with a super center.

And I say this with very little emotion and strictly on talent analysis. I'm devoid of emotion at the moment.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
[
And I say this with very little emotion and strictly on talent analysis. I'm devoid of emotion at the moment.[/quote]

Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
[
And I say this with very little emotion and strictly on talent analysis. I'm devoid of emotion at the moment.
Sounds like somebody needs a hug.[/quote]

LOL. Or a slap in the face.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Mulkey made serious coaching errors in the Louisville game and it affected her post-game demeanor.
She probably deserved a bigger penalty than the slap on the wrist she got. Remember how she begged the media to ask her about the officiating? It was premeditated.
I'll leave it to others to decide how bad the officiating was. Overall during the tourney I thought the officiating WAS poor, especially in the early rounds.
BUT.... if you want to go on record as saying the officiating in women's basketball needs to improve, the time to do it is after your team WINS. It gives you a lot more credibility!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess I am surprised that the penalty was just one game plus the monetary hit to Baylor. I thought she might get two games and no financial hit to Baylor. I do think the refs let the game get overly physical, but I also thought that over the whole game, they allowed both teams to play very physically and while Louisville benefited in the first half, the second half the calls were all going Baylor's way.
And as for the outcome - Louisville shot brilliantly and Kim was totally out coached. And the Baylor players looked uninterested until the last 10 minutes, and you can't play NCAA second weekend games that way and expect to win.

Reaction Score
I am a Uconn fan all the way but I watched that game and Griner got mugged many times with no calls. good for you Mulkey

Maybe if every coach had the bells to publically criticize the crappy WCBB officiating the NCAA might have to improve it. Instead the NCAA imposes a gag rule on the coaches and nothing changes.

Kudos for Mulkey.
[/quote]

I once watched a parent do the same thing... give kudo's to their child when they had a melt down because they did not receive an extra cookie from their grandparent. Rewarding negative behaviors does nothing to make the situation better. And if you are a UCONN fan do you believe Geno should have pulled a Mulkey when Griner threw Stef to the ground?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The per diem has nothing to do directly with players. As TJI said, it is the money that the NCAA pays the school to participate in the tournament - and I have no idea how it is calculated, etc. However, I am aware from RU days that, indeed, many of the expenses of participating are picked up by the NCAA including especially travel, I mean what happens when a Gonzaga, or Marist, etc. goes further than expected? These schools do not have huge WBB budgets, and of course it is more-so on the men's side.

The penalty that is slightly on the school is probably because they didn't take any action on their own for her comments, which by any competitive standards were taboo. Vivian got warnings for a few remarks over the years, and a (regular season game) suspension from the NCAA once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom