Mulkey story coming? ** ITS HERE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mulkey story coming? ** ITS HERE

Reaction Score
+1. This is pretty standard. If anything, he's generating hype for WaPo. And if anyone deserves a hit piece, it's Kim. She's had so many opportunities to take the high road over the years, and forcefully declined to do so at every chance.
I hate that the inevitably political debate is going to get lit during the second week of the tournament.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Although I have no experience in comms, first thought is to not go "Barbra Streisand" and just say - "although I am aware that the WaPo may publish a story, right now my focus is on the team and the next game in this tournament"

Second thought - WaPo did a story on women's professional soccer 3 years ago that opened some eyes, so who knows, we may be in for a wild ride. According to reports, the reporter has been asking for info for two years and then finally sent a request within the last few days, and that's what's raised KM's hackles.

Reaction Score
IMG_0946.gif

Reaction Score
I was thinking about her statement over dinner, and I think what she DIDN'T say speaks volumes. She never talked about the questions that were being asked. She never said they were false or misleading. She only whined about the tactics being used to gather the information and tried to discredit the media.
Now I wonder why she left Baylor for LSU. This isn't going to be pretty no matter what WAPO prints.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about her statement over dinner, and I think what she DIDN'T say speaks volumes. She never talked about the questions that were being asked. She never said they were false or misleading. She only whined about the tactics being used to gather the information and tried to discredit the media.
How would she know “ the questions being asked?”

Reaction Score
I am no Mulkey fan but I hate that this is being released during the tournament. I feel that stories like these don't take in consideration the people not involved like the current student athletes who may be impacted by all this noise.

Reaction Score
I don’t really care when it’s released. If we’re to believe the story, this guy has been trying to get Kim’s input for quite some time. I’m sure he’s using the tournament and his deadline to put pressure on her. But if she really wanted to dispute whatever he’s trying to a claim, she’s had plenty of time to do so. I think she “doth protest too much”. There’s something up…

Reaction Score
As others have said, Mulkey was hired to make the LSU women's program relevant, which she has done. And she may actually be a good coach. But by many accounts (do your own reading) she's not a great person, and she's not someone for whom I have a positive opinion. Drama and controversy seems to gravitate toward her, so I will bet that this WaPo piece is far more than a "hit piece", particularly if it's been in the works for 2+ years.

"The best defense is a good offense" - Captain Kirk, among others. Timing aside, she was sent a list of questions and THEN she hired a lawyer. She knows that there's likely no good defense, so her only option is to come out swinging and hope to change the narrative.

Get the popcorn.

Reaction Score
I don’t really care when it’s released. If we’re to believe the story, this guy has been trying to get Kim’s input for quite some time. I’m sure he’s using the tournament and his deadline to put pressure on her. But if she really wanted to dispute whatever he’s trying to a claim, she’s had plenty of time to do so. I think she “doth protest too much”. There’s something up…
I guess as outsiders we have the luxury to not care. But I have already seen people picking apart the comments and posts that players have stated about Mulkey and defending her character. I'm sure no one on the teams knows what she's being accused but the players are likely to be unfairly blamed and criticized for taking up for her when it comes out.

This is the most stressful time of the season and having this distraction to top it off seems unfair to those uninvolved. I have no sympathy for Mulkey but all the sympathy for the players, who ironically enough is probably my least favorite team in the tournament. But despite my fandom I believe they deserve better than this.

Reaction Score
The paper wants to run it during the tournament. I don't love that.

I do not understand how Mulkey thinks she can duck interview requests for two years and feel righteous about not getting a chance to comment.

Just more evidence of her central self absorption.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that no matter how bad this hit piece is, Kim isn’t going to care… LSU admins aren’t going to care.. and LSU fans dang sure aren’t going to care. So who is the target audience here? :rolleyes:
Schadenfreude for the rest of us?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I can understand the "why now?" concerns, but how many teams went into the Tourney dealing with speculation about their coach going elsewhere? At least a couple. That isn't fair to the players either, but it happens.

Reaction Score
I can understand the "why now?" concerns, but how many teams went into the Tourney dealing with speculation about their coach going elsewhere? At least a couple. That isn't fair to the players either, but it happens.
I would venture to say speculation on a coach leaving for another job is pretty common in the basketball world and while unpleasant is expected. This sounds a lot more serious and way more controversial than a coaching change.

Reaction Score
It seems she was reading that response off those papers. Makes me wonder if the legal representation she claims to have prepared that for her. Seems like she’s trying to get ahead of whatever it is that’s supposed to be getting exposed.

I do think it’s interesting she chose to be more vocal in her defense of Brian Kelly than her own players but I guess that’s just her schtick. Maybe she’ll be held responsible for her actions and comments for once.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, her presser with prepared comments may have brought 100+x more focus onto the potential story than Pat Forde's original tweet. Again, the unfortunately classic Barbra Streisand effect or hit dogs holler, whichever you prefer.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
her response is more revealing than the wa post has been, which, as far as I know, has not yet published a story nor revealed what it's investigating.

think it's very unfair to lambaste the newspaper for something that it has not yet done -- except, apparently, looking into a possible story. if/when it appears is the time to criticize/commend.

i'd trust a legit newspaper far more than a subject who's under scrutiny. a legit paper is trying to accurately inform the public, not attacking.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, her presser with prepared comments may have brought 100+x more focus onto the potential story than Pat Forde's original tweet.
I was thinking about that this morning. I wish all the teams could be left alone this time of year until the tournament is over...but now she's made it nearly impossible for this "story" to go away. She has increased interest over what the story might reveal. Foot-in-mouth disease is a real thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom