Mulkey on Griner Taunts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mulkey on Griner Taunts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of the most difficult and delicate decisions for any LGBT person at any age is who to come out to and how far or broadly to come out. One of the problems with not coming out is it is hard to gather support from those in your family and among your friends. The problem with coming out is the unpredictability of how those family, friends and others will react to you and the news. There will be many haters but one can, also, gain support from those who are open and who are caring and do truly value the person without regard to the issue of LGBT. No one who has not stood in the shoes of an LGBT person can understand the inner quagmire that making the decision to come out presents and the emotional vulnerability that it entails.

I have no idea about BG's sexuality, in any form. I have had questions in the past but that is irrelevant to who she is as a person and her character and the cruelty that she, DT, Svet of anyone else must endure because of the hate of others is simply unacceptable. If you want a glimpse into the reality rent and view a copy of Training Rules and understand a bit about what was the norm at PSU in the past.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
While Twitter wasn't around when DT played, I would have more respect for Mulkey if she was saying the same thing about what DT had to endure both on and off the court. Sorry it comes with the territory when you're the best player on the best team. I will admit some of the taunts about Griner's gender are over the top and should not be written. However, fans being fans, Mulkey and Griner have to live with them, just like DT and Geno had to.

Maybe I was too young to care/notice, but what did D endure?

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
One of the most difficult and delicate decisions for any LGBT person at any age is who to come out to and how far or broadly to come out. One of the problems with not coming out is it is hard to gather support from those in your family and among your friends. The problem with coming out is the unpredictability of how those family, friends and others will react to you and the news. There will be many haters but one can, also, gain support from those who are open and who are caring and do truly value the person without regard to the issue of LGBT. No one who has not stood in the shoes of an LGBT person can understand the inner quagmire that making the decision to come out presents and the emotional vulnerability that it entails.

I have no idea about BG's sexuality, in any form. I have had questions in the past but that is irrelevant to who she is as a person and her character and the cruelty that she, DT, Svet of anyone else must endure because of the hate of others is simply unacceptable. If you want a glimpse into the reality rent and view a copy of Training Rules and understand a bit about what was the norm at PSU in the past.

First of all, Ice, I have to say I love you for this post for actually understanding the struggles that come with being gay and trying to come out at a younger age.. I went through this as a regular 18 year old.. I can't imagine what it is like for these girls who are 18-22 and famous. That pressure has to be so incredibly heavy. It's disgusting to see the way the girls who are at the top of the game are treated when it comes to this, and the fact that SO many have to hide who they truly are to gain approval

Reaction Score
Maybe I was too young to care/notice, but what did D endure?
Without going into a lot of detail (which would serve no purpose) I remember reading many vile and disgusting posts from fans of other teams questioning both DT's and Sveta's gender. I have since stopped reading those boards. Those people aren't worth my time.

Maybe that's what Wbbfan1 is referring to as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
First of all, Ice, I have to say I love you for this post for actually understanding the struggles that come with being gay and trying to come out at a younger age.. I went through this as a regular 18 year old.. I can't imagine what it is like for these girls who are 18-22 and famous. That pressure has to be so incredibly heavy. It's disgusting to see the way the girls who are at the top of the game are treated when it comes to this, and the fact that SO many have to hide who they truly are to gain approval

Agreed, Ice. That was an incredibly thoughtful and eloquent post. Thank you!

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Without going into a lot of detail (which would serve no purpose) I remember reading many vile and disgusting posts from fans of other teams questioning both DT's and Sveta's gender. I have since stopped reading those boards. Those people aren't worth my time.

Maybe that's what Wbbfan1 is referring to as well.

Wow I didn't know that.. I had never seen the gender questioning, just the "plays like a dude" stuff.. and I definitely didn't know they talked about Svet that way... weird and pathetic

Reaction Score
As probably the biggest Griner fan on this board, honestly, whatever. It sucks that sports fans do this type of thing, but that's always been the case and probably always will. Plus, I doubt she experiences 1/10th of the taunts that the top male players receive on a regular basis (see Davis, Anthony from Kentucky).

If there is a silver lining, I think it means that Griner has truly become a household name. Part of that has to do with her uniqueness, but a lot of it also has to do with her being clearly the best force and player in the game.

I think having a polarizing figure like Griner is a GREAT thing for women's basketball. The sport needs more of that if it wants to continue to grow.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Bullying is bullying. Saying "it's part of life" is true, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored or poo pooed.

I'm glad BG is strong. Others aren't as strong and end up hurting themselves. Speak up and out!
(Edited since it won't let me fix what I originally posted)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
By the way, I'd saying "you play like a guy" is NOT a compliment when you think about it thoroughly. 'cause the opposite would be a taunt "You play like a girl" implying all girls stink. Or that women's sports are some kind of "other." Why not just say you play great or play stinky - why does gender have to be used as a compliment or a pejorative?

Reaction Score
Wow I didn't know that.. I had never seen the gender questioning, just the "plays like a dude" stuff.. and I definitely didn't know they talked about Svet that way... weird and pathetic
I don't remember the taunts against Sveta either but I do remember the vicious taunts against Ann Strother that had nothing to do with her gender or sexual preference.

If other fans shouted down these losers; or coaches would take the mic like Coach K has to quiet student sections; the taunters could be stopped at games.

As for everyday life? Be intolerant of intolerance in ANY form. Just saying nothing or remaining silent isn' t good enough.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the taunts against Sveta either but I do remember the vicious taunts against Ann Strother that had nothing to do with her gender or sexual preference.

If other fans shouted down these losers; or coaches would take the mic like Coach K has to quiet student sections; the taunters could be stopped at games.

As for everyday life? Be intolerant of intolerance in ANY form. Just saying nothing or remaining silent isn' t good enough.
The vicious taunts against Svet usually started with some stupid comment about (of all things...) her choice of haircut!
ETT started this because of what BG has had to endure; unfortunately, this is nothing new and it will not end with BG either. Hopefully, these young women and men are strong enough to take all this taunting for what is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom