Mulkey apologizes | The Boneyard

Mulkey apologizes

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The over whelming amount of "push back" she received from that remark forced her to take a step back, and try to infuse some contrition and damage control. Good luck. Out of the mouth, the heart speaks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is still the same damn thing. It is over. Forget about it. Baylor forever. Clueless. We all know that if she said that as a politician or a news person, she'd be toast. Toast. Burned toast. This is still unrepentant mumbo jumbo from Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Well! Her program must be really threatened to have Kalm Kim, she of the Great Jacket Toss, come out like a mama hen. What she says is more than a bit disingenuous. No big deal, huh? Assault of young women. Great place to be? Doesn't appear so. Texans do take their football pretty seriously, and some of the local Neanderthals take themselves pretty seriously, too. Happens at every school? Hope to heaven that ain't so. She did herself and Baylor no good by this performance.

Reaction Score
I give her credit for doing the standup thing and apologizing.... Some would have not gone that distance .... The fact remains that for a lot of parents.... me included.... ONE unreported sexual assault on campus where I was considering sending my daughter is too much...... not to mention 52!!! And that is just on the football team..... !!!! What about the other 98% of the Baylor student body.....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No sense scrutinizing any more words she says. They are forced. She clearly has no empathy. Dont hold your breath waiting for her to raise a finger to expose or address any issues regarding institutional coverups, reporting etc.

Her program will continue to be strong although I imagine some recruits will have second and third thoughts.

In the end, nothing she said rises to a punishable offense. Public embarrassment needs to be enough.

Reaction Score
She finally did the right thing.........how sincere she is God only knows......from here on it's up to the recruits and their families to decide what is best for them

Reaction Score
She certainly sounds sincere about having let her emotions overcome her good sense. As to whether she really wants the institution to do the right thing and improve we w,ill never know.

Reaction Score
It is still the same damn thing. It is over. Forget about it. Baylor forever. Clueless. We all know that if she said that as a politician or a news person, she'd be toast. Toast. Burned toast. This is still unrepentant mumbo jumbo from Mulkey.

Rocky, "I work here every day, I'm in the know", did not fly with you....? ;) :D
Unsure of who forced her to recant with the President, AD and title nine coordinator all resigning. With the peak time for interviews here it should get interesting as she will not be holding the mic (so as to drop it as she did ) nor afforded the snarky grin after her original remark.
Her regrets over the remarks come across as sincere as anything that came out of Penn St.....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I said, her behavior was terrible however she did an immediate apology upon whoever forced or encourage her to review it. Good for her. That said, I have lost some respect for her and I do think her HOF nomination takes a hit. I will forgive her but will never forget. I will now be rooting for Texas!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Saying "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it. Once you put it out there the damage is done. You can't take it back like many think.

Mulkey and Baylor are now playing CYA. Her toxic remarks are in print for all to see.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Up to that point, I was somewhat (pleasantly) surprised that Coach Kim was holding it together, particularly given as we learned more and more about the athletic department around her. But given the vehemence of her remarks, that now seems to have been an explosion waiting to happen. Sorry, Kim, being sorry about the "hit in the face" comment was the least of the issues.

Geez, even Andy Landers, who you might've expected to tread softly around this, called her out on a number of points. Indifference to the victims, calling out everyone else, hiding behind the opaqueness of the entire situation. Geesh. Between this and further Paterson Eastside disclosures , I think of the Beatles song: "I read the news today, oh boy..."

Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepele has just come down on Mulkey like a ton of bricks on ESPNW:

Mulkey's message muddled by anger, frustration

"...could she have picked a worse way to express this frustration? She came across as defensive, dismissive and even callous....

"And it's a fair question to ask: If a male coach had made the exact same remarks that Mulkey did, would he be fired already, without any chance to explain or apologize? The reality is that Mulkey's career at Baylor could have ended Saturday; her remarks came across that badly. For her sake, I hope she reflects on this incident....

"There is a polarizing factor to Mulkey: She has her passionate fans and detractors, and always will. But her voice and opinions carry a lot of weight, not just in her sport, but in college athletics and as one of the most prominent figures at Baylor. It would be instructive for her to reflect on how, in trying to defend what she says is "all the good" that's at Baylor, she initially sent a very different message."

Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel criticizes Mulkey again on OTNonESPN (Outside the Lines):

Women's Basketball - ESPN

At her presser after the Oklahoma game, Mulkey is asked by several reporters to comment on her remarks on Senior Night. All she does is say, "Read the Mechelle Voepel article."

Veep came on ESPN's OTN and said that Mulkey sounded as if she was in the "bunker" and "defensive." Voepel stated that the reporters in that room, many of whom had followed Baylor sports and Big 12 women's basketball for a long time, wanted to hear directly from Mulkey about how she felt after having made those remarks. Voepel also stated that Mulkey has long been very defensive about the media, including her.

So far from putting this to rest, Mulkey's remarks at her post-game presser seem to have made things worse.

Reaction Score
I never heard anything about this coach until last year when OSU beat Baylor. In that game she threw her jacket over the bench because she disagreed with referee's call. She got "T-d" and it really changed the game. It was very selfish in my view, with no respect for her players. She seems self absorbed, and glad she is not at our school.

Reaction Score
Baylor's Mulkey expresses regret over remark

who knows where it goes from here.
I'm one who didn't damn nor praise Kim for her remarks, but I knew of her momentary emotions,--as in appropriate as they may have been. The problem Humans have especially in this lighting speed delivery of "news" (good or bad--but bad gets the preference) is: You cannot un -ring a bell. Once you say it, write it, display it---it is there for the world to react to; apologies tend to fall on deaf ears!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom