Mulkey and "Big Girl Panties" | The Boneyard

Mulkey and "Big Girl Panties"

Reaction Score
I'm not a Mulkey fan, but I think that she did a good, adult job in the presser (despite that unfortunate metaphor). No avoidance of responsibility, all praise for WV.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Mulkey fan, but I think that she did a good, adult job in the presser (despite that unfortunate metaphor). No avoidance of responsibility, all praise for WV.
I only watched parts of this game as well as her being interviewed at half time, but I'm thinking that Mulkey has been talked to by friends, family, and/or the administration (I don't want to speculate about professional help), and that she's on a different behavioral path right now.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A subdued Mulkey is bad for Baylor. The team feeds off her energy and antics. Last night she was very quiet and seemed to not be engaged. Even her dress was muted. Mulkey didn't really become engaged in the game until the 4th quarter and then Baylor put on its run.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Maybe, she's toast at the end of the season?
Or does this fall into the disallowed realm of unsubstantiated speculation?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In my game thread I complained that Baylor from the start failed to play with a sense of urgency and energy necessary to beat WVa. I noted their lack of leadership in the backcourt. Someone that could get the forwards the ball in the right position at the right time and make the big shot when the clock is running down; also play good defense on the opposing team's #1. Here is a team with a deep bench and Mulkey states that at the end her team was fatigued. Even with Jones they had a tough time beating WVa the last time out. This team couldn't handle Martin's athleticism or her energy. Wallace and Chou couldn't step up enough. How does Mompremier and Cox combine for zero points? How does the bench combine for zero points with Dallas looming ahead? If this team doesn't make the FF people won't talk about Jones' injury. They'll be talking about punching people in the face. This team like Mulkey looks and sounds like a shell of itself.

Reaction Score
Why don't we give Kim a break? After all, if not for Geno (and CD), she might be the best WCBB coach in the country. At the very least she, Muffet and Brenda would pass the crown around. And the UCF hotshot, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, who is an up and coming force to be reckoned with, in my opinion.

Kim's had a rough patch, image-wise, but she still has a wealth of coaching talent and runs a powerful, clean program at Baylor. She deserves some forgiveness and respect.

That being said, I hope UConn beats Baylor's brains out should they meet in the NCAA Championship, no disrespect meant of course.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think last nights game was a confluence of many items:
1. Despite its depth, 3 games in 3 nights wears on the big post players. No one has ever accused BU of complete "fitness". So they played tired and in Wallace case a bit out of control.
2. West Virginia is on a great hot streak right now with the team gelling together and leveraging what they learned by playing BU twice and they stuck to their game plan.
3. Mulkey struggles with "in-game" adjustments and has too quick a hook with some players so she contributed to her own demise
4. I absolutely agree this Senior Day fiasco took a lot out of her and the team as a major distraction. I also agree that yes, someone or someones did have many a talk with her about her comportment and behavior to avoid any more bad light. To that end her energy is subdued and "unKim like" that the team suffered.

Reaction Score
In my game thread I complained that Baylor from the start failed to play with a sense of urgency and energy necessary to beat WVa. I noted their lack of leadership in the backcourt. Someone that could get the forwards the ball in the right position at the right time and make the big shot when the clock is running down; also play good defense on the opposing team's #1. Here is a team with a deep bench and Mulkey states that at the end her team was fatigued. Even with Jones they had a tough time beating WVa the last time out. This team couldn't handle Martin's athleticism or her energy. Wallace and Chou couldn't step up enough. How does Mompremier and Cox combine for zero points? How does the bench combine for zero points with Dallas looming ahead? If this team doesn't make the FF people won't talk about Jones' injury. They'll be talking about punching people in the face. This team like Mulkey looks and sounds like a shell of itself.

Well, in Cox's defense, I don't think she played very much. But I can understand that because I've yet to see anything out of her that should place her on the court. She looks in horrible shape. I cannot believe that she was dubbed the #1 prospect out of high school last year.

Reaction Score
1. Despite its depth, 3 games in 3 nights wears on the big post players. No one has ever accused BU of complete "fitness". So they played tired and in Wallace case a bit out of control.
2. West Virginia is on a great hot streak right now with the team gelling together and leveraging what they learned by playing BU twice and they stuck to their game plan.
3. Mulkey struggles with "in-game" adjustments and has too quick a hook with some players so she contributed to her own demise
4. I absolutely agree this Senior Day fiasco took a lot out of her and the team as a major distraction. I also agree that yes, someone or someones did have many a talk with her about her comportment and behavior to avoid any more bad light. To that end her energy is subdued and "unKim like" that the team suffered.

What happened at Baylor on Senior Day?

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what Coach Mulkey says or does, some people are just going to take offense with it. The same goes for Geno; some people are just offended by his existence. The same was true for Pat Summitt not too long ago, although saying so nowadays could get me roasted. (get it? ...roasted....panties...crown roast? Chef humor...)

The woman has heart, strength, guile...Moxie I believe best describes it. A toned-down Mulkey is NOT good for Women's basketball, because she isn't being herself, she is being who someone else wants her to be. In this new era of Political Correctness and with the current explosion of the Cult of Victimization, we need coaches like Kim Mulkey to remind us that being Human means making mistakes, sometimes losing your temper, and occasionally speaking your mind. You work through it, and move on.

How far do you think UConn would have made it if someone had forced Auriemma and Calhoun to toe-the-line?

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Kim was only trying to psyche her team back...( "put your big girl panties on"). She knows they may have lost their confidence , along with their #1 Seed. So what does she do , she 'Shocks" them with such a statement. Now Geno could not have gotten away with making that same statement. But Kim can , and it might work.

Baylor is a talented team , with a good coach. They might have lost their edge and confidence along with that game against WV.... And maybe a good SHOCK is what they needed.

Only time will tell.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well, in Cox's defense, I don't think she played very much. But I can understand that because I've yet to see anything out of her that should place her on the court. She looks in horrible shape. I cannot believe that she was dubbed the #1 prospect out of high school last year.
I noted her poor conditioning from her first exhibition game. She did start the year with some injuries that held her conditioning back. But I questioned the entire teams conditioning before they played UConn, and it showed at the end of quarters and the end of the game. Mulkey noting that they were "tired" during the WVa game, although her bench is certainly deeper than almost anyone in WCBB. This to me raises red flags. There was absolutely no excuse for their entire talented bench scoring zero points in a championship game. None.

When it became clear that Cox had reduced her commitment choices to 2 teams, UConn and Baylor, I thought that such a wealth of forwards made Baylor a bad decision for Cox, and that on UConn she'd receive more PT. I also noted UConn's history of highly conditioned players. Or as Geno says, "The difference between good players and great players is that great players don't get tired." I think DefenseBB has the right of it on every point, and to repeat myself. When this incredibly talented team fails to make the FF no one will remember Jones' injury or the players failure. No, everyone will point to "Punch them in the face".

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone with any sense or conviction can or should refute a single one of these points. Except maybe a few Mulkey apologists.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Cox has diabetes. I was concerned when she was considering UConn how that would be managed with UConn's grueling workouts. I had to imagine it would be (and is for her at Baylor) pretty tricky.
That said, when I saw them on the same team, I much preferred Collier and Dangerfield from that glimpse.

Reaction Score
Regardless of health/conditioning, Cox did not execute a high/low pass to Brown and was immediately pulled. She should have been making that pass all year. However, I must give WV credit for their defense that may have had an effect on the pass in question. Apparently, Kim did not like the execution either.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
The woman has heart, strength, guile...Moxie I believe best describes it.

I don't think comparing Kim to a soft drink helps anything.

upload_2017-3-7_15-2-47.jpeg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Cox has diabetes. I was concerned when she was considering UConn how that would be managed with UConn's grueling workouts. I had to imagine it would be (and is for her at Baylor) pretty tricky.
That said, when I saw them on the same team, I much preferred Collier and Dangerfield from that glimpse.
I think you're right as I recall something to effect as well. I was surprised she chose BU over UConn given positional need. However she is a Texas lass so I understood. She struggled a bit at the start of the season but did come on strong until the Big12 Tournament.
You are referencing team USA which I thought was this past summer and after a year at UConn, NC should be better that a HS post player. My point being that is an unfair comparison at that juncture.
While None of that team has great conditioning, they have gotten better. Then again just watching all these teams play ALL other teams have poor conditioning compared to UConn. Which leads us to Geno's much recounted quote "when good players get tired, great players kick their ass!"

Reaction Score
A subdued Mulkey is bad for Baylor. The team feeds off her energy and antics. Last night she was very quiet and seemed to not be engaged. Even her dress was muted. Mulkey didn't really become engaged in the game until the 4th quarter and then Baylor put on its run.
Keep in mind that Baylor was playing without their top scorer. West Virginia is talented and peaking and, therefore, a dangerous team. But Baylor was missing a top talent who will be back of the tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom