Mulkey’s Magic Method | The Boneyard

Mulkey’s Magic Method

Reaction Score
Looks like Mulkey’s approach to scheduling worked pretty well. Proved that a tough or even mediocre non-conference schedule is not necessary. You can criticize the process, but you need to admire the results! Be interesting to see if others copy the model!!

Reaction Score
Yes. She is a great coach. Unbelievable job this year. A lot of us UCoNn fans complained about her cupcake schedule (rightfully so) but she has got her team playing with so much confidence. Kudos to her and the job she’s done in year 2. Gonna be fun seeing her and Dawn go at it now on the SEC

Reaction Score
Yes. She is a great coach. Unbelievable job this year. A lot of us UCoNn fans complained about her cupcake schedule (rightfully so) but she has got her team playing with so much confidence. Kudos to her and the job she’s done in year 2. Gonna be fun seeing her and Dawn go at it now on the SEC
We’ll, not Dawn… but fun none the less!

Reaction Score
Ahead of Tara, Muffet? Hmm.
(I'm not a fan of either, but they do have some coaching credibility.)
If LSU wins tmmr, I think she would be #3. If not, she remains in that group behind Geno and Pat.

Reaction Score
This article isn’t exactly about Mulkey but it may reveal something about her methods. It seems pretty clear Kim has been trying to get some motivation from the idea that Iowa somehow disrespected LSU in the way they defended against SC. But if I were these girls I’d feel more disrespected by Kim and the way she’s trying to manipulate them, not to mention how foolish the ESPN article makes them look.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ahead of Tara, Muffet? Hmm.
(I'm not a fan of either, but they do have some coaching credibility.)

Hard to say. I think those 3 (and Dawn just behind) are in similar boats. All have strengths and weaknesses:

Muffet-she's only won twice, but teams in the 2010s were phenomenal and her team was effectively the second best team for 6 years during the decade, and her best squads had to go up against UCONN in the prime of their run and vs. Brittney Griner. Her teams were always outmatched by the eventual champion and they usually outperformed their preseason expectations. From a team quality perspective, she had championship level squads even if they didn't get the job done, but the downside is she only finished the deal twice.

Tara-she has longevity and consistent results. 30+ years of excellence and she is a masterful game planner. Her teams have often come up short in the big moments though and for as well as Stanford has performed the last 30 years, I find getting just 1 title during that stretch to be underwhelming.

Kim-she's an amazing coach but her teams consistently underperformed from 2013-2018, missing 6 straight Final Fours despite having ample talent. To her credit, when she gets to the Final Four she delivers (3 titles in 4 times, potentially a 4th in 5 tries this year) but she's also often fallen short and only delivered 1 title with the most dominant physical player of all time in Brittney Griner.

Dawn-she's also won twice and is on a great trajectory, though coming up short this year has to hurt since they were heavy favorites to repeat for a title. She's 23 years into her coaching career and has had about a decade of excellence, establishing her program as a goliath. Her downside is that her program has only been elite for 10 years. If she wants to differentiate from this group of coaches, I think she needs to keep SC as a goliath and continue to win at a high level and haul in another trophy or 2 over the next decade. She's probably the biggest name in women's basketball right now, so if she can win a couple more and keep SC as a goliath, she'll have a chance to establish herself as the clear #3.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
This article isn’t exactly about Mulkey but it may reveal something about her methods. It seems pretty clear Kim has been trying to get some motivation from the idea that Iowa somehow disrespected LSU in the way they defended against SC. But if I were these girls I’d feel more disrespected by Kim and the way she’s trying to manipulate them, not to mention how foolish the ESPN article makes them look.

Eh, I just view it as a motivation tactic and a way for Kim to fire up the troops. If it means her girls will come more focused and motivated as a result of it, then it's a good coaching tactic IMO.

Reaction Score
Eh, I just view it as a motivation tactic and a way for Kim to fire up the troops. If it means her girls will come more focused and motivated as a result of it, then it's a good coaching tactic IMO.
It certainly is motivation tactic. But read the article, not just the headline, to get a sense of bizarre and foolish she’s made her own players look.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It certainly is motivation tactic. But read the article, not just the headline, to get a sense of bizarre and foolish she’s made her own players look.
I did. I just seeing it as players buying into their coach's motivational tactic to fire themselves up for the biggest game of their careers.

Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't LSU the team with a certain player (Reese) that licks fingers when a three is made or otherwise...and would this action be construed as a form of disrespect to opposing teams?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't LSU the team with a certain player (Reese) that licks fingers when a three is made or otherwise...and would this action be construed as a form of disrespect to opposing teams?
This is an irony, to be sure. The team culture there allows for taunting opponents, especially as they’re losing. I despise teams and coaches that allow it.

Reaction Score
Hard to say. I think those 3 (and Dawn just behind) are in similar boats. All have strengths and weaknesses:

Muffet-she's only won twice, but teams in the 2010s were phenomenal and her team was effectively the second best team for 6 years during the decade, and her best squads had to go up against UCONN in the prime of their run and vs. Brittney Griner. Her teams were always outmatched by the eventual champion and they usually outperformed their preseason expectations. From a team quality perspective, she had championship level squads even if they didn't get the job done, but the downside is she only finished the deal twice.

Tara-she has longevity and consistent results. 30+ years of excellence and she is a masterful game planner. Her teams have often come up short in the big moments though and for as well as Stanford has performed the last 30 years, I find getting just 1 title during that stretch to be underwhelming.

Kim-she's an amazing coach but her teams consistently underperformed from 2013-2018, missing 6 straight Final Fours despite having ample talent. To her credit, when she gets to the Final Four she delivers (3 titles in 4 times, potentially a 4th in 5 tries this year) but she's also often fallen short and only delivered 1 title with the most dominant physical player of all time in Brittney Griner.

Dawn-she's also won twice and is on a great trajectory, though coming up short this year has to hurt since they were heavy favorites to repeat for a title. She's 23 years into her coaching career and has had about a decade of excellence, establishing her program as a goliath. Her downside is that her program has only been elite for 10 years. If she wants to differentiate from this group of coaches, I think she needs to keep SC as a goliath and continue to win at a high level and haul in another trophy or 2 over the next decade. She's probably the biggest name in women's basketball right now, so if she can win a couple more and keep SC as a goliath, she'll have a chance to establish herself as the clear #3.
Griner has only won 1 title in her career even though she had DT, and a number of other great players around her. That is in the WNBA.
And the 1 in college.

Reaction Score
Griner has only won 1 title in her career even though she had DT, and a number of other great players around her. That is in the WNBA.
And the 1 in college.
Yeah, to be honest, I think Griner’s relative underachievement in college may have more to do with her than with Mulkey. I recently watched the famous Baylor-Louisville game and I was shocked at how lackadaisical Griner was. Sims almost won that game for Baylor on her own but had no help that day.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Kim is not a top 5 coach
Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Reaction Score
If Mulkey wins another NC, she’s definitely in the conversation to be in the top 3. Of course, you have to restrict the meaning of the word Coach to exclude any teaching in the broader sense. But recruiting talent, and especially transfer talent, and building teams — she’s proven she can do that as well as anyone.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom