Muffett resigns!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Muffett resigns!!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
giphy.gif
Hey, any update on your team's coaching situation? I haven't heard nary a word on Semrau's contract...:confused:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
How many programs 2 years after a National Championship finish 13-18 or even under .500? Is seems unprecedented.
In my quick review of the past 30 years of the NCAAT, NONE is the answer. That does not diminish in anyway what she and the program achieved. Add in all the injuries to the graduation, the better parity of WCBB and the strong OOC ND played, I find that record not to be an albatross but a badge of honor. What am I missing as to your comment?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Plebe must be busy :D
I think he is scrambling which MM meme he wants to post or else maybe his prayers were answered and he's gone to church as the good Texas Baptist that he is...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In my quick review of the past 30 years of the NCAAT, NONE is the answer. That does not diminish in anyway what she and the program achieved. Add in all the injuries to the graduation, the better parity of WCBB and the strong OOC ND played, I find that record not to be an albatross but a badge of honor. What am I missing as to your comment?

I was not implying that Muffet is a bad coach for the collapse. I was generally curious how it occurred. How did all that talent end up in one class, were their injuries, redshirts, just seems weird, Muffet had a well oiled machine them boom.

Reaction Score
Jaw dropping news.

I'm no fan of hers but I hope she is all right & is not resigning because of a health issue.
I just had this same thought. I hope so too. She is, regardless of how some feel about her, a world-class coach. I wonder if she was just tired of the grind and ready to step away.

Reaction Score
I saw the graphic in a feed earlier and thought nothing about it. Mentally wondered how much longer she'd go.

So surprising to see it was a resignation.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I was not implying that Muffet is a bad coach for the collapse. I was generally curious how it occurred. How did all that talent end up in one class, were their injuries, redshirts, just seems weird, Muffet had a well oiled machine them boom.
A unique confluence of events: transfers, injuries and early departure are the 3 culprits. To wit:
2015 Class-Ali Patberg #13 recruit, injured 2 years, transferred out. Star at Indiana
2016 Class-Erin Boley #5 recruit, transferred to Oregon after freshman year, solid role player
2016 Class-Jackie Young #11 recruit, left early for WNBA as #1 draft pick
2017 Class-Dani Patterson #30 recruit, transferred to Indiana, did not play in 2019-20
2017 Class-Mik Vaughn #56 recruit injured ACL two years in a row, first year playing significant minutes
2018 Class-Jordan Nixon #38 recruit transferred to Texas A&M, did not play in 2019-20
2018 Class-Abby Prohaska #73 recruit, during 2019-20 did not play due to blood clot.
That's your starters and depth, forced to rely on underclassman and transfers.

Reaction Score
A unique confluence of events: transfers, injuries and early departure are the 3 culprits. To wit:
2015 Class-Ali Patberg #13 recruit, injured 2 years, transferred out. Star at Indiana
2016 Class-Erin Boley #5 recruit, transferred to Oregon after freshman year, solid role player
2016 Class-Jackie Young #11 recruit, left early for WNBA as #1 draft pick
2017 Class-Dani Patterson #30 recruit, transferred to Indiana, did not play in 2019-20
2017 Class-Mik Vaughn #56 recruit injured ACL two years in a row, first year playing significant minutes
2018 Class-Jordan Nixon #38 recruit transferred to Texas A&M, did not play in 2019-20
2018 Class-Abby Prohaska #73 recruit, during 2019-20 did not play due to blood clot.
That's your starters and depth, forced to rely on underclassman and transfers.

Thank you so much for this!

Reaction Score
I saw the graphic in a feed earlier and thought nothing about it. Mentally wondered how much longer she'd go.

So surprising to see it was a resignation.
Did you believe that she was going to be fired?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

@DefenseBB covered a lot of it. But I'll jump in, too.

Ogunbowale, Mabrey, and Shepard played four years and graduated like normal (the first 2 years at Nebraska for Shepard, of course). Turner was a 5th year senior, having missed the 17-18 season with an ACL tear. Young chose to go pro as a junior (and was validated by being the #1 draft pick).

So that's how the entire starting 5 ended up in the same draft despite Turner and Young being two recruiting classes apart.

They were, of course, ND's top 5 players in minutes played in 2018-2019. 6th was Abby Prohaska. She missed the entire season with blood clots in both lungs. She has since recovered.

7th was Jordan Nixon. She chose to transfer.

8th was Mikayla Vaughn. She missed the entire non-conference season after suffering a knee injury in the season opener.

9th was Danielle Patterson. She chose to transfer.

So ND lost 8 of their top 9 players from the 2018-2019 season and the ninth was limited to half a season.

Marta Sniezek and Destinee Walker coming in as transfers wasn't nearly enough to make up for it.

ND lacked size (especially when Vaughn was out) and shooting ability. They couldn't score inside and they couldn't spread teams out and score outside. They also had no depth with only 8 scholarship players on the roster, a number that included former walk-on Katie Cole. And very little experience besides Sniezek.

Everything came together for the perfect storm of bad-ness.

Next year should be better if only because everyone will be older and more experienced and there will be 6 more scholarship players to work with (5 incoming recruits + Prohaska).

Reaction Score
Did you believe that she was going to be fired?

No, I didn't look at the graphic. Or the post. I skimmed over it and thought it was just going to be how excited she was to be back or something.

Didn't occur to me it was announcing she was done.

Reaction Score
How many programs 2 years after a National Championship finish 13-18 or even under .500? Is seems unprecedented.

I’m late to the discussion but it’s important to understand that this collapse wasn’t just unfortunate timing of losing some great players. Muffett was not doing well relating to players or recruits or being able to work well with others. I said on BY when Ivey left that ND would never get back to top status with Muffett at the reins. Ivey was the real coach for that team. Clearly insiders at ND saw the same thing. Muffett was great with X and Os, but lacked in most other areas. Muffett rode the wave of Irish tradition and fame for a bit, but clearly the ride had ended. Ivey will not take long to get ND back to top status. She’s the real deal.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I’m late to the discussion but it’s important to understand that this collapse wasn’t just unfortunate timing of losing some great players. Muffett was not doing well relating to players or recruits or being able to work well with others. I said on BY when Ivey left that ND would never get back to top status with Muffett at the reins. Ivey was the real coach for that team. Clearly insiders at ND saw the same thing. Muffett was great with X and Os, but lacked in most other areas. Muffett rode the wave of Irish tradition and fame for a bit, but clearly the ride had ended. Ivey will not take long to get ND back to top status. She’s the real deal.
Ivey has come a long way. I remember watching her as a sophomore or junior at Cor Jesu high school, leading her team to a state championship. She was a very good high school player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom