Muffet Speaks With Only A Little Hoof and Mouth | The Boneyard

Muffet Speaks With Only A Little Hoof and Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm of 2 minds about that article: 1. It's quite reasonable and real: UConn did lose, by far, the most talent. 2. It's a sly way of implying that what gets UConn to the top is just that talent. Of course, UConn had incredible talent, as the WNBA draft just proved. But it's the coaching and the system that hones that talent. And therefore it's the coaching and system that attracts that talent.

I admire Muffet: if not for Geno, I'd probably root for ND. If I were a ND fan, I'd love her feistiness. But I'm a UConn fan, so I always seem to interpret what she says as begrudging and small-minded. I'm sure others feel differently.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Did I miss something? The OP title reads like something that might be found on VolNation if the article were about Auriemma.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm of 2 minds about that article: 1. It's quite reasonable and real: UConn did lose, by far, the most talent. 2. It's a sly way of implying that what gets UConn to the top is just that talent. Of course, UConn had incredible talent, as the WNBA draft just proved. But it's the coaching and the system that hones that talent. And therefore it's the coaching and system that attracts that talent.

I admire Muffet: if not for Geno, I'd probably root for ND. If I were a ND fan, I'd love her feistiness. But I'm a UConn fan, so I always seem to interpret what she says as begrudging and small-minded. I'm sure others feel differently.

She IS begrudging and small minded. As am I. I can't root for ND under any circumstances. They can't lose often enough.The arrogance of their school and sports dept regarding their worth, all based on a football legend older than most of us, is too much. I hope we never play them in football again so we remain the only school in their history they never beat.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't think she said anything wrong.

Really? Okay, but no one else graduated senior starters in the top 20 who were regarded as "talent". That is not so. Yeah, her basic point: UConn is backing down to where the rest of us live. That is conventional thinking and hard to argue with this year.

Me I just love to poke at Ms. Thin Skin.

Reaction Score
I guess we are looking at it in 2 different ways. To me she's saying UCONN lost a lot more talent than the rest of the pack. You can't argue with her about that. I don't think she's knocking UCONN at all.

Reaction Score
I did not see the Notre Dame loss to Stanford in the NCAA's last year. That score suggests a breakdown of major proportions, but on any given night I guess a good team with a great coach can overcome a better team with a coach. :cool:

Absolutley correct on that one. I saw most of the game. Notre Dame was outplayed all over the court. And until I see it change, Brianna Turner doesn't show up for the biggest games!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Muffet's comments seem to be more flavored by wishful than astute analysis. She knows -- perhaps better than anyone -- that of the hundreds of D1 WCBB players, only nine wear NC rings (and TLaw and Saniya have three apiece).

They are champions! So I suggest to Muffet that she give her attention to the quote below before getting her hopes up too high. ;)

Reaction Score
Help me out folks because I am confused. On other threads on The Boneyard posters talk about the loss of the big 3 and that UCONN will lose some games but still be an excellent team. When Muffet mentions parity isn't that pretty much the same thing posters on the BY have been saying? Other than the hatred some seem to have for her no matter what she says, what are people disputing?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Help me out folks because I am confused. On other threads on The Boneyard posters talk about the loss of the big 3 and that UCONN will lose some games but still be an excellent team. When Muffet mentions parity isn't that pretty much the same thing posters on the BY have been saying? Other than the hatred some seem to have for her no matter what she says, what are people disputing?
The BY is UCONN fans lamenting the loss of the big three-perfectly acceptable. Muffet celebrating the loss of the big three not cool. Kind of like my neighbor celebrating because my wife kicked me out of the house and now he thinks he has a chance to move in with her. To paraphrase Geno " The Coach in ND should worry about coaching the players that are at ND".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have no idea. However, Hoof and Mouth (or Hand, Foot, Mouth) Disease happens to be going around some local high schools. I guess particularly within some of the football teams.

Reaction Score
I'm not offended by anything she said..................UConn lost three of the top 5 players in college basketball so there is bound to be a drop off back to the pack...............yes great coaching can make a big difference but in the end superior talent usually rules.....................I would love to think that Geno can guide this "weakened" UConn team to the championship but I have my doubts..............let's see what happens...............

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
" To paraphrase Geno " The Coach in ND should worry about coaching the players that are at ND".

This article pulled from a 15-minute press conference she gave yesterday, of which 90+% of the time was spent talking about her own players. But of course ESPN isn't going to print the quotes about how Koko Nelson is in better shape or Erin Boley has the best 3-point shot on the team or Brianna Turner has been working on her free-throw line jumper, etc. etc.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As Nan once reminded us: Grudges on the Boneyard die hard. Tara Vander Veer was perceived to mistreat Rebecca (Olympics 2000) and she has never been forgiven here.

Fast forward to 2014. Muffet refused to politely applaud Stewie's MVP award (NCAA Tournament) for which she was summarily banished to Boneyard purgatory for an extended sentence.

Reaction Score

Maybe the implication that UConn's success was bad for the game but otherwise.....heck yeah UConn lost a lot. She has good reason to be optimistic. As far as parity.....there has been parity in WCB it's just that they were all competing for the championship of the losers. :)

But what if UConn wins it all again?:eek:

Reaction Score
This article pulled from a 15-minute press conference she gave yesterday, of which 90+% of the time was spent talking about her own players. But of course ESPN isn't going to print the quotes about how Koko Nelson is in better shape or Erin Boley has the best 3-point shot on the team or Brianna Turner has been working on her free-throw line jumper, etc. etc.
Yep, those quotes don't gin up interest like a little perceived controversy does.

Reaction Score
As Nan once reminded us: Grudges on the Boneyard die hard. Tara Vander Veer was perceived to mistreat Rebecca (Olympics 2000) and she has never been forgiven here.
Nor should she be :D
Fast forward to 2014. Muffet refused to politely applaud Stewie's MVP award (NCAA Tournament) for which she was summarily banished to Boneyard purgatory for an extended sentence.
Eternity

Reaction Score
Lobo played on the 1996 Olympic team. Tara did treat her as if she wasnt on the team. She was mad because her team got thoroughly beaten by like 27 pts in the semis. Then she said Tennessee would kill Uconn in the NC Game. Lobo was more popular than her after the Huskies won the 95 NC. That Uconn team brought exposure to WCBB that was definately lacking before them.

Reaction Score
I don't think she said anything wrong.

Well, we could quibble about her comment that Turner is the best player in WCBB at the moment. I loved Turner when she came out of high school, but she's been a disappointment to me. Basically, she's a one-trick pony: likes to sit under the basket and bottom feed, at which she's very successful. Put her more than 5 feet from the basket, and she appears lost. The best player in WCBB now is Aja Wilson IMO.

[ ] If she[Muffet] were more generous to other programs and more gracious in defeat, you might cut her some slack. But there's something off-putting about her; she rankles. Of course, if your heart had been ripped dripping from your body time after time, and down the road [somebody else] was winning just about everything (not because he can coach but because he gets all the good players), you'd have a residue of bitterness about you, too. Her gall is well-earned, as is the contempt she conjures in Husky fans.

[mod edited to remove political references]

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, we could quibble about her comment that Turner is the best player in WCBB at the moment. I loved Turner when she came out of high school, but she's been a disappointment to me. Basically, she's a one-trick pony: likes to sit under the basket and bottom feed, at which she's very successful. Put her more than 5 feet from the basket, and she appears lost. The best player in WCBB now is Aja Wilson IMO.

Only to a UConn fan could a player fight through a shoulder injury in each of her first two years to become ACC POY and an All-American by the end of her sophmore year and still be a disappointment. ;)

But seriously, I try to let most of the ND stuff fly over my head because I know what site I'm on, but I do not get the "Turner is a disappointment" and "Turner doesn't play well in big games" takes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom