Muffet McGraw | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a recent interview with Dawn Staley, McGraw "doubled down" on her call for the media to move away from UCONN women's basketball and to cover more deserving teams. She also added two more digs at Geno and the UCONN program. Geno , as USA National coach "favored" former CT players and that UCONN freshman players win awards that they don't deserve, because of the over exposure UCONN gets. Translation: Paige Bueckers did not earn any awards.
Since Geno has no control over ESPN, or any other media, any choices they make primarily have to do with ratings and interest. Do you know what creates interest? WINNING. The historic and unprecedented winning under coach Auriemma has produced an equal amount of coverage. Thirteen straight final fours will get you some coverage. Any coach whining about coverage, just has to win. Understand that coach McGraw?
Great players also drive the media narrative. UCONN has had more than their share of them. Why? Because they want to play for the best women's basketball coach of all time. ( Bobby Knight said best coach men's or women's) Obviously , because Geno is a man, this drives Muffett back to her tuffet.
Yes, Geno has a great advantage in recruiting. He can point to banners, crowds, national exposure....but its an advantage that he and Chris Daily built from scratch.
To denigrate his accomplishments, is what I consider to be pathetic.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dawn knew exactly what she was getting with that interview. She was also on Geno's staff with USA Basketball. Did she defend USA Basketball or no? I'm guessing no. lol

This is all so predictable and tedious. ESPN doesn't even have UConn's media rights anymore.

Geno is right. Muffett must be bored. She's now just repeating herself to anyone who will listen.

I'll also add how very odd this is. Geno and his team are struggling this year. He's just trying to keep them together through the injuries. Yet Muffett keeps saying stuff about Geno and UConn. It's just weird.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Murder She Wrote Reaction GIF

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She had a reputation as a successful coach.
Her last 2-3 years ( and her sideline emotional breakdowns) damaged that legacy.
She continues to damage it post sideline career with her sour grapes.
Strong disagree with the 2nd statement. Her 2nd to last season they lost by 1 in the title game, third to last season she won a championship. She had 1 bad season (2019-20) where her team was riddled with injuries and unexpectedly lost Young to the draft. Fans here relished in her team struggling that season, but it definitely didn't damage her legacy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Strong disagree with the 2nd statement. Her 2nd to last season they lost by 1 in the title game, third to last season she won a championship. She had 1 bad season (2019-20) where her team was riddled with injuries and unexpectedly lost Young to the draft. Fans here relished in her team struggling that season, but it definitely didn't damage her legacy.
Probably not as much as her petty and mean spirited actions. She seems to love to take passive aggressive swipes at UConn players success, as she did with Stewie and in the backhanded swipe at Paige Bueckers above. People who are secure in themselves tend to be gracious, while people who aren’t take swipes at other people in the hopes that they will momentarily feel less bad about themselves. To me, at least, that tarnishes her legacy. Character matters.

Reaction Score
“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”.
This year - Geno is rising to the challenge.
Muffet crashed and burned.
( and the fire smolders still)

Reaction Score
I still think that 2018 team winning a national championship with 4 ACL tears is one of the biggest feats in women's basketball history. Her legacy will be fine, the people who liked her before still do and the people who don't still don't.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Probably not as much as her petty and mean spirited actions. She seems to love to take passive aggressive swipes at UConn players success, as she did with Stewie and in the backhanded swipe at Paige Bueckers above. People who are secure in themselves tend to be gracious, while people who aren’t take swipes at other people in the hopes that they will momentarily feel less bad about themselves. To me, at least, that tarnishes her legacy. Character matters.

I'm not questioning her character moments...those are well documented and I agree they've ruffled feathers and in the eyes of many fans it has damaged her legacy. I was just pointing out an incorrect statement by @Stymie.

Reaction Score
if people don't understand Muffett by now no point in trying to tell them. She is a players coach, she will always defend her team/school no matter what what shame is there in that? She to this day thinks Mcbride was the best player that season and Stewart shouldn't have won. I don't feel that way, but if she feels that way why knock her for how she feels? This a coach that wants to see women succeed, isn't that what we want? Want women to get more opportunities especially of color. Notice how she says nothing but positive things about Dawn. If she was threatened by "others success" why would she support her?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm not questioning her character moments...those are well documented and I agree they've ruffled feathers and in the eyes of many fans it has damaged her legacy. I was just pointing out an incorrect statement by @Stymie.
She had a reputation as a successful coach.
Her last 2-3 years ( and her sideline emotional breakdowns) damaged that legacy.
She continues to damage it post sideline career with her sour grapes.
But the statement is only incorrect in your opinion. In my opinion, @Stymie was correct, her recent (last 4 or 5 years) actions on the court and post game definitely damaged what legacy she has and may have. I think in her present job with the ACCN, odds are that she could continue to damage what legacy she has.

Reaction Score
What I think people should acknowledge more about her time coaching is how she taught her players to flop in order to get foul calls. That is easily seen in the 2014 or 2015 National Title game when a player goes up for a three... I believe it was Cable... and she comes down and then ends up on her behind looking for a foul call when there was no one around her. I lost a ton of respect when Notre Dame became the leaders in flopping per game.

Reaction Score
if people don't understand Muffett by now no point in trying to tell them. She is a players coach, she will always defend her team/school no matter what what shame is there in that? She to this day thinks Mcbride was the best player that season and Stewart shouldn't have won. I don't feel that way, but if she feels that way why knock her for how she feels? This a coach that wants to see women succeed, isn't that what we want? Want women to get more opportunities especially of color. Notice how she says nothing but positive things about Dawn. If she was threatened by "others success" why would she support her?
She also said men shouldn't coach women. If you support that then you're just as terrible as she is.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Are you a spoof? Please tell me you're a spoof. Because otherwise this makes no sense.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Are you a spoof? Please tell me you're a spoof. Because otherwise this makes no sense.
Hey Plebe, never let facts get in the way of a bizarre post! The player in question is Jewel Lloyd, not McBride and Jewell herself has supported Stewie and Geno over MM. Lest us not forget how such a “players coach” as MM is that she threw Jewell under the bus when Jewell elected to turn pro as she was eligible to.

But yeah, what @jchuskie said…:confused:

Reaction Score
One of her stars left because of her Loyd, and is much happier in Seattle and winning championships, and being appreciated for who she is.

Reaction Score
McGraw wants more media attention for other programs? The kind of attention the the media pays to Notre Dame manifests itself in $$$. And the Irish have their own TV contracts.

That's what I call media attention.

I also am pretty sure that McGraw is just using Geno to generate a media presence. She has a smart basketball mind when she sticks to analyzing a game but is a beige personality compared to Geno, who comes alive when the camera is on him. McGraw is like Summitt. They get animated with their teams but in an interview, ... nothing. "Ask Geno, he knows" is a perfect passive aggressive response to a request for details about her statement that Geno cheated.

The best way to deal with McGraw is to ignore her. Otherwise she'll just continue.

Reaction Score
Dawn knew exactly what she was getting with that interview. She was also on Geno's staff with USA Basketball. Did she defend USA Basketball or no? I'm guessing no. lol

This is all so predictable and tedious. ESPN doesn't even have UConn's media rights anymore.

Geno is right. Muffett must be bored. She's now just repeating herself to anyone who will listen.

I'll also add how very odd this is. Geno and his team are struggling this year. He's just trying to keep them together through the injuries. Yet Muffett keeps saying stuff about Geno and UConn. It's just weird.
She sees a moment of weakness — last years claim about the Olympic team, Parker’s comments, and she sees an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon and gain more attention. She’s an opportunist.

It’s the same reason she suddenly got so effusive about Summitt the year the final 4 was in Nashville.

Reaction Score
No sympathy for Muffet here in Louisville after her refusal to mention Asia Durr by name after Asia won ACC POY.

I've actually enjoyed much of her commentary on the ACC Network. But her comments about UConn and Geno smack of jealousy.

Reaction Score
She wants diversity when it comes to media attention, but is against male coaches in Women's College Basketball. Little Miss Muffet...back on your tuffet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom