Muffet McGraw and 9/11.....????? | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw and 9/11.....?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colu...-recalls-her-close-call-on-Sept-11/50268278/1

The link is to a story in USAToday....the Tuesday edition....by Mike Lopresti.
He recounts the harrowing experience that Muffet had in changing flights on 9/11 and having that switch save her life. She attributes the change in flights solely to her assistant Kevin McGuff.

Jackie MacMullan of the Boston Globe [at least she was back then] wrote a story long ago about the very same switch. My memory can be a bit hazy but I could swear that Jackie attributed the switch solely to a recommendation by our very own Nicole Wolff who she was visiting at that time.

No mention at all in Lopresti's piece about Nicole at all. Are both stories correct but incomplete?
Both flat out wrong? One completely right and the other not? In any case Muffet was one lucky lady.

I may try to poke around on the internet to see if Jackie's story is out there somewhere to refresh my memory. BTW: Jackie wrote a book a few years ago about Geno and UConn hoops....a very favorable account of the #1 coach and program in the land.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colu...-recalls-her-close-call-on-Sept-11/50268278/1

He recounts the harrowing experience that Muffet had in changing flights on 9/11 and having that switch save her life. She attributes the change in flights solely to her assistant Kevin McGuff.

Jackie MacMullan of the Boston Globe [at least she was back then] wrote a story long ago about the very same switch. My memory can be a bit hazy but I could swear that Jackie attributed the switch solely to a recommendation by our very own Nicole Wolff who she was visiting at that time.

No mention at all in Lopresti's piece about Nicole at all. Are both stories correct but incomplete?
Both flat out wrong? One completely right and the other not? In any case Muffet was one lucky lady.

I may try to poke around on the internet to see if Jackie's story is out there somewhere to refresh my memory. BTW: Jackie wrote a book a few years ago about Geno and UConn hoops....a very favorable account of the #1 coach and program in the land.
This article apparently published in the winter of 2001/2002 collaborates the McGuff angle. I believe her recruiting trip to the area was to see Nicole however.

"Then there was Muffet McGraw, coach of Notre Dame’s defending national champion women’s basketball team. In early September she made arrangements to go on a cross-country recruiting trip. Her plan was to leave Boston for California on September 11. She reserved a seat on United Flight 175, which became the second plane flown into the World Trade Center.
Fortunately, one of her assistant coaches, Kevin McGuff, convinced her to fly out of the Providence, Rhode Island, airport. He was taking a flight home out of that airport on the same day. They ended up driving back to South Bend together, along with men’s head coach Mike Brey, who also happened to be at the same airport."

Reaction Score

Speaking of Ms McMullen's book, there is a glaring inaccuracy on page 69 decribing a critical sequence late in the 1995 national championship game. Mine is a first edition, so it is possible that it has been corrected in subsequent editions.

Reaction Score
BTW: Jackie wrote a book a few years ago about Geno and UConn hoops....a very favorable account of the #1 coach and program in the land.

No, she wrote a book WITH Geno. It was his book; she was the sports writer brought in to put the stories together.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, she wrote a book WITH Geno. It was his book; she was the sports writer brought in to put the stories together.
Yes, Jackie was the co-author with Geno. More than a ghostwriter but still the shared authorship.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This article apparently published in the winter of 2001/2002 collaborates the McGuff angle. I believe her recruiting trip to the area was to see Nicole however.

"Then there was Muffet McGraw, coach of Notre Dame’s defending national champion women’s basketball team. In early September she made arrangements to go on a cross-country recruiting trip. Her plan was to leave Boston for California on September 11. She reserved a seat on United Flight 175, which became the second plane flown into the World Trade Center.
Fortunately, one of her assistant coaches, Kevin McGuff, convinced her to fly out of the Providence, Rhode Island, airport. He was taking a flight home out of that airport on the same day. They ended up driving back to South Bend together, along with men’s head coach Mike Brey, who also happened to be at the same airport."

I can't seem to find the MacMullan article....then again I have walk-on computer skills. If anyone locates it I would greatly appreciate
you linking it. I would bet the ranch that Jackie attributes the switch to Nicole in that piece.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
This emphasizes the Kevin angle. I also recall a Nicole Wolfe link, but now think maybe she was the one being visited.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
This indicates that she was visiting Nicole, but Kevin made the suggestion.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This indicates that she was visiting Nicole, but Kevin made the suggestion.
Just to be clear....I am not disputing these reports. I still think that the MacMullan article has a different slant...[which might be in error].

Reaction Score
Just to be clear....I am not disputing these reports. I still think that the MacMullan article has a different slant...[which might be in error].

Muffet was in the Boston area doing a home visit with Nicole Wolff, but Nicole did not factor in her decision to change planes. That was entirely the doing of assistant coach Kevin McGuff.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Muffet was in the Boston area doing a home visit with Nicole Wolff, but Nicole did not factor in her decision to change planes. That was entirely the doing of assistant coach Kevin McGuff.
Thanks for the clarification Jeff!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

That has been my recollection also. Maybe there was just a misunderstanding at the time?

Reaction Score
That has been my recollection also. Maybe there was just a misunderstanding at the time?
I think so. I remember asking Nicole about it not long after the Globe piece ran and she told me she actually never discussed travel plans with Muffet, and when I interviewed Muffet in 2009 for the book, she confirmed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom