MSST full house | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MSST full house

Reaction Score
If you are ready, then you will schedule the game. Now. UConn doesn't work its schedule around when it thinks it can beat a team. Don't be like Baylor and only schedule tough games when you think you have a good chance to win. WCBB already has too many coaches like Kim and Brenda and Joanne who avoid scheduling games that they might lose. Vic doesn't need to join that crowd.

True. I was saying it more in jest but didn't make that clear.

Reaction Score
If you are ready, then you will schedule the game. Now. UConn doesn't work its schedule around when it thinks it can beat a team. Don't be like Baylor and only schedule tough games when you think you have a good chance to win. WCBB already has too many coaches like Kim and Brenda and Joanne who avoid scheduling games that they might lose. Vic doesn't need to join that crowd.
Actually like Kim and Baylor. I believe they play UCONN every year. This year they played Stanford, Arizona State, South Carolina and have a game this week with UCONN. Kim is fiery and highly competitive. She is a top level coach IMHO. Just learned that acronym from my granddaughter!

Reaction Score
Actually like Kim and Baylor. I believe they play UCONN every year. This year they played Stanford, Arizona State, South Carolina and have a game this week with UCONN. Kim is fiery and highly competitive. She is a top level coach IMHO. Just learned that acronym from my granddaughter!

Kim does not schedule UConn every year. She skipped last year when UConn was perceived to be loaded (three seniors who were drafted high). And let's be real about Baylor's OCC schedule. She schedules a ton of home games with teams that shouldn't be on the floor with Baylor.

Reaction Score
Kim does not schedule UConn every year. She skipped last year when UConn was perceived to be loaded (three seniors who were drafted high). And let's be real about Baylor's OCC schedule. She schedules a ton of home games with teams that shouldn't be on the floor with Baylor.
That seems to be everywhere, UCONN plays some no names, ND, MSST, Stanford, Maryland, etc all do the same. Sometimes the cupcakes turn out to be good games but not often. WBB suffers from noncompetitive games and that is something that needs to be corrected if WBB is to become a fan oriented sport. WBB players will never command the salaries deserved until the sport entertains the fans.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That seems to be everywhere, UCONN plays some no names, ND, MSST, Stanford, Maryland, etc all do the same. Sometimes the cupcakes turn out to be good games but not often. WBB suffers from noncompetitive games and that is something that needs to be corrected if WBB is to become a fan oriented sport. WBB players will never command the salaries deserved until the sport entertains the fans.

That’s not true. No names are teams like UT Rio Grande, Coppin Stare, Lamar, Little Rock, Jackson State which are on the schedule because they are willing to be slaughtered on Miss State’s home court in exchange for a pile of cash. Miss state is not unique but this is not something UConn has done for many years.

Reaction Score

Please do not suggest that UConn's out of conference schedule in any way resembles Mississippi State's.

Reaction Score
The series also had a gap for the second half of Stewie's collegiate career, but I'm sure that was just a coincidence that the series resumed just months after the big three graduated.

Reaction Score
The series also had a gap for the second half of Stewie's collegiate career, but I'm sure that was just a coincidence that the series resumed just months after the big three graduated.

In fairness to Kim, if she would have kept scheduling UConn she would have run out of jackets. :cool:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
UConn plays just 7 games a year at Gampel. If Miss. St. wants more top competition they will have to leave campus once in a while like the Huskies.
I'm not sure if you are being intentionally misleading, or if you are not aware that UConn plays half of its home games at the XL center in Hartford? This year UConn has only 12 home games, which is a very small number. Six of those games are at Gampel, 6 are at the XL center, and 1 is technically listed as neutral, but it was at the Mohegan Sun arena, which was realistically a home game for UConn (against Vanderbilt), so if we count that, UConn had 13 home games, which is still a pretty low number for a P5 quality team (14 away games and 3 true neutral games in the Virgin Islands). Last season UConn played 13 home + 1 at Mohegan = 14, 14 away games, and 3 true neutral games. In contrast, Miss St's split has been 16 home, 14 away with no neutral games in 2018-19. The previous year the split was 16 home, 9 away games, and 4 neutral games, with one of the neutral games being against ULL in Jackson MS, which is 3 1/2 hours from Lafayette and 2 1/4 hours from Starkville.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Sylvia Hatchell is probably the poster child for doing this. Washington got invited to Myrtle Beach tournament that UNC always go to the year after Plum and the rest of the seniors left. I will bet that Washington would've have never been invited to play if Plum was still there.
Kim will only schedule the top WBB teams when she believes her team can beat them or when she thinks they are "down". It was no coincidence that Kim scheduled down after Sims left.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
It's embarrassing MSU plays such a week schedule. The end of season results they have had the last two seasons is better than everyone except the two champs. But now that thyey have been elite, they need to schedule harder

According to Massey, MSU has played the 16th toughest schedule this year. Even with a weaker than normal SEC, this ranking will move up by the end of the season. In 2018, they ended with the 8th toughest and in 2017, the 6th.

There is nothing wrong with MSU's scheduling as the results have clearly demonstrated. Teams not named UConn and ND don't typically have benches full of Top 25 players and easy opponents are needed to develop young players.

Reaction Score
According to Massey, MSU has played the 16th toughest schedule this year. Even with a weaker than normal SEC, this ranking will move up by the end of the season. In 2018, they ended with the 8th toughest and in 2017, the 6th.

There is nothing wrong with MSU's scheduling as the results have clearly demonstrated. Teams not named UConn and ND don't typically have benches full of Top 25 players and easy opponents are needed to develop young players.

Sorry, don't buy the "easy opponents are needed to develop young players" line. Unless you add the words "without risking a loss." That's really the issue, isn't it? It's not about "development," it's about not wanting to risk a loss while this development is taking place.

And MSU is a top 5 club and has been to the last two Final Fours. They can schedule a tougher OCC than 16th in the country.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Sorry, don't buy the "easy opponents are needed to develop young players" line. Unless you add the words "without risking a loss." That's really the issue, isn't it? It's not about "development," it's about not wanting to risk a loss while this development is taking place.

And MSU is a top 5 club and has been to the last two Final Fours. They can schedule a tougher OCC than 16th in the country.

I actually find these scheduling debates pointless because we as fans have zero input and very little knowledge as to why coaches schedule the way they do. I simply wanted to point out that MSU typically ends up with a Top 10 schedule.

It might also be worth noting that while the program may have earned a level of elite status from the last two seasons, that is a VERY recent development. If 3 or 4 years from now Vic still has a perennial Final Four contender, and we're still playing a few too many nearby weaklings, I'll accept the criticism. Now, not so much.

One final point. When this schedule was finalized we had just lost 4 starters (who built the program in large measure) and had no idea we would have Anriel Howard. Development games were needed. There were plenty of possible losses, and one realized one, in this pre-SEC slate.

Reaction Score
Kim learned the lesson from Brenda. She knows if she does not scheduel UConn, it will not be to her favor when it comes to the seeding for the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score

I would like to see us play a slightly more difficult schedule, but I'm not overly concerned with it right now. At the end of the day, no one is giving out rings or hanging banners for the most difficult OOC schedule. If you can win a national championship scheduling cupcakes, good for you. If it bites you in the butt, so be it.

Reaction Score
I would like to see us play a slightly more difficult schedule, but I'm not overly concerned with it right now. At the end of the day, no one is giving out rings or hanging banners for the most difficult OOC schedule. If you can win a national championship scheduling cupcakes, good for you. If it bites you in the butt, so be it.
I cant be too critical of their schedule since few, if any teams, have UConn's schedule. Seems to work for Miss St and meet their goals and objectives.

Reaction Score

Perhaps, but if everyone pursued this strategy it would be a disaster for the game. Sure there's the goal of winning a national championship, but there's also an obligation to the game and improving it. Not to mention sending a message to your players of the value of challenging yourself and not running from challenges.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but if everyone pursued this strategy it would be a disaster for the game. Sure there's the goal of winning a national championship, but there's also an obligation to the game and improving it. Not to mention sending a message to your players of the value of challenging yourself and not running from challenges.

I pretty much agree with this assessment. I actually found MSU's games boring and started to pay more attention to our men's team. There's only so much I can take of watching a team beat somebody by 50 points. So you are right that it's not good for the game in the end. I guess it's all a calculated risk. You have to play a schedule where you can win enough games but also where you can be challenged.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with this assessment. I actually found MSU's games boring and started to pay more attention to our men's team. There's only so much I can take of watching a team beat somebody by 50 points. So you are right that it's not good for the game in the end. I guess it's all a calculated risk. You have to play a schedule where you can win enough games but also where you can be challenged.

Very nice to have a strong men's team again.

I would like to know if Geno was scheduling to meet his obligation to the game within 2 or 3 seasons of becoming relevant many years ago. That's a pretty high standard for a program UConn beat 98-38 less than 3 years ago.

Also, MSU doesn't play in the AAC (yeah, I went there...;):)), so losses can actually happen in conference play.

Reaction Score
Agree, 100%!

Reaction Score
Please do not suggest that UConn's out of conference schedule in any way resembles Mississippi State's.
You totally missed my point, I was not comparing any teams OOC schedules, just voicing my opinion that WBB needs relevant competitive match to attract and get a robust fan base. Competitive games that have little significance to the National picture will not, IMHO, attract fans, we need competitive games between top level teams, That is why I want more teams to adopt OOC schedules like UCONN’s. My opinion that would be good for the game!

Reaction Score
Very nice to have a strong men's team again.

I would like to know if Geno was scheduling to meet his obligation to the game within 2 or 3 seasons of becoming relevant many years ago. That's a pretty high standard for a program UConn beat 98-38 less than 3 years ago.

Also, MSU doesn't play in the AAC (yeah, I went there...;):)), so losses can actually happen in conference play.
Don't think that's really a fair comparison. You're talking about UConn in 1987 in a fledgling new conference known as the Big East versus a school in arguably the nation's premier and most lucrative athletic conference with all of the attendant resources and benefits that come with such membership in 2019. In other words, we can revisit this comparison when Vic is forced to do his recruiting using a single rotary phone for his first few seasons the way Geno had to.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Don't think that's really a fair comparison. You're talking about UConn in 1987 in a fledgling new conference known as the Big East versus a school in arguably the nation's premier and most lucrative athletic conference with all of the attendant resources and benefits that come with such membership in 2019. In other words, we can revisit this comparison when Vic is forced to do his recruiting using a single rotary phone for his first few seasons the way Geno had to.

If that's not a fair comparison then please provide one. The debate is MSU's SOS at this stage of elite program status.

BTW, I was asking about Geno after he reached elite status, not from the start. Also, every coach in America has modern technology now, so Vic's job isn't easier.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom