MSG to televise more ACC games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MSG to televise more ACC games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That safe landing spot is coming.

In all honesty, the B1G has many more options than the ACC, when it comes to having another school to partner UConn with. We are tied to ND. The B1G can offer Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas, to go with you.
And the ND carrot will drag the ACC down the same way it hurt the BE. ND certainly brought the BE a lot of value and will do the same thing for the ACC. But the ACC will find out that ND has a me, myself and I attitude that won't change unless everything goes wrong for ND. That means if the ACC starts to really struggle they won't be able to count on ND for anything. And when you said the ACC will wait on doing anything to see what ND will do it means the ACC will get caught flatfooted if things start to change again.

Reaction Score
Rutgers fans have openly professed a preference to the B!G but you are correct had the ACC offered them and there was no evidence the B!G wanted them, they would have jumped to the ACC without hesitation.

You are correct about regional rivalries being very important to develop fan bases. Currently there are no great football rivalries in the northeast. One could even argue there are no good football rivalries in the ACC, although the ACC has the greatest basketball rivalry.

Overall, you are correct about both. That said, I would offer up Florida State-Clemson as an example of a good ACC rivalry. Granted, its a level below the likes of Florida-Georgia, or, Texas-Oklahoma, but, both schools do have national recognition. Ga Tec-Va Tech has potential, if the Yellow Jackets can regain their form.

Cuse is geographically distant but BC is close and if UConn and BC could be strong in the respective sports and sustain that strength for a reasonable time it could generate huge fan interest. Unfortunately BC is more afraid of how UConn can impact them then they are positive of how UConn can help them.

Again, I used the Research Triangle Rivalries as a reference point. UNC-NCSU-Duke thrive as neighbors and rivals. BC-UConn could, too. I added Syracuse, because I think the three of you could form a tremendous northeastern leg of the ACC. If you all are inded No 16, I could see the league going to a pod system for scheduling. Just add Pitt to you three, and, let the fur fly.

UNC fans love to hate Duke but would never want to see the rivalry end. Same with Red Sox and Yankee fans. But BC's current leadership doesn't accept this paradigm for UConn and BC. Shortsighted view imo and as others postulated it already has impacted them athletically and could impact the ACC in the future.

You are 100 percent correct. I never want to see the UNC-Duke rivalry end. Ditto UNC-NCSU.

Hopefully, theres somebody in BC's athletic department who does not have their head buried in the sand. Surely, somebody there realises what both schools are missing out on, becuase of their stubborn position on UConn.

Reaction Score
And the ND carrot will drag the ACC down the same way it hurt the BE. ND certainly brought the BE a lot of value and will do the same thing for the ACC. But the ACC will find out that ND has a me, myself and I attitude that won't change unless everything goes wrong for ND. That means if the ACC starts to really struggle they won't be able to count on ND for anything. And when you said the ACC will wait on doing anything to see what ND will do it means the ACC will get caught flatfooted if things start to change again.

I do think Swofford got a concession by requiring ND to schedule five ACC opponents annually, beginning next season. Where that may eventually lead, I have no idea.

Its just my own opinion that if the P5 leagues do break away to form a D4 for football, then, they may require all members of that D4 to have a conference affiliation. Will that forc ND's hand? I sincerely have no idea. Its all a waiting game at this point. Whether we like it or not.

Reaction Score
You might be right on that one. It will depend upon when the move needs to be done.

While we're at it, don't fool yourself. Had the ACC offered Rutgers first, you all would've jumped on that invite without a second's consideration. If you say otherwise, I believe you are being dishonest.
No your right we probably would've jumped BUT RU always felt a sort of affinity with the B1G..large state schools with old fashioned conservative values!Personally since the 60s until now the south has been over run with NY/NJ/Conn/Pa transplants to the degree we outnumber the southerners in the south!(Actually changed the culture) and I feel there is a bright future and better growth potential 25/40 yrs from now down there but I will be long gone by the time that happens so for now I'll stick with the B1G!Heck,I have my doubts that FB will be recognizable even 10 yrs from now and it saddens me!We've become a "soft" society!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You are 100 percent correct. I never want to see the UNC-Duke rivalry end. Ditto UNC-NCSU.

Hopefully, theres somebody in BC's athletic department who does not have their head buried in the sand. Surely, somebody there realises what both schools are missing out on, becuase of their stubborn position on UConn.
Cuse and UConn is a great bb rivalry but Cuse fans primarily consider GT to be their biggest rival. UConn was an upstart and they can't get over that it surpassed Cuse in a short time. In football the better rivalry would have been BC, Rutgers and UConn. The FSU and Clemson rivalry falls far short of the Clemson USC rivalry and the Florida Florida State rivalry. Funny but the if the SE SEC and ACC teams merged that would be a killer fan conference.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I do think Swofford got a concession by requiring ND to schedule five ACC opponents annually, beginning next season. Where that may eventually lead, I have no idea.

Its just my own opinion that if the P5 leagues do break away to form a D4 for football, then, they may require all members of that D4 to have a conference affiliation. Will that forc ND's hand? I sincerely have no idea. Its all a waiting game at this point. Whether we like it or not.
Yep its a waiting game. My only point is that the ACC should always treat ND as a potential traitor and any hint of future developments in CR the ACC should not take into consideration what would happen with ND. That was a big mistake the BE made. It certainly wasn't the only one by a long shot but it was a big one.

Reaction Score
Yep its a waiting game. My only point is that the ACC should always treat ND as a potential traitor and any hint of future developments in CR the ACC should not take into consideration what would happen with ND. That was a big mistake the BE made. It certainly wasn't the only one by a long shot but it was a big one.

ND cares about ND period. If and when moving out of the ACC suits them they will go in a flash. I don't care what GOR the ACC and Swofford put in place - it can't cover ND football so what will hold them? The ACC's deal with ND smacked of desperation. Has any other P-5 conference ever given such preferential treatment to a member? In the meantime, while the other ACC football elites (FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami, GT) toil in the vineyard of the ACC for their media money, ND enjoys its special deal with NBC. Good luck with that, ACC!

Reaction Score
No your right we probably would've jumped BUT RU always felt a sort of affinity with the B1G..large state schools with old fashioned conservative values!Personally since the 60s until now the south has been over run with NY/NJ/Conn/Pa transplants to the degree we outnumber the southerners in the south!(Actually changed the culture) and I feel there is a bright future and better growth potential 25/40 yrs from now down there but I will be long gone by the time that happens so for now I'll stick with the B1G!Heck,I have my doubts that FB will be recognizable even 10 yrs from now and it saddens me!We've become a "soft" society!

Good post, and, fair enough.

Reaction Score
Cuse and UConn is a great bb rivalry but Cuse fans primarily consider GT to be their biggest rival. UConn was an upstart and they can't get over that it surpassed Cuse in a short time. In football the better rivalry would have been BC, Rutgers and UConn. The FSU and Clemson rivalry falls far short of the Clemson USC rivalry and the Florida Florida State rivalry.

Of course, the CU-USC and FSU-UF rivalries are bigger. I am 100 percent with you on that. I was just saying FSU-CU is the ACC's best rivalry. Those two are on another level than the rest of us.

Funny but the if the SE SEC and ACC teams merged that would be a killer fan conference.

I agree, that would be an incredible league. I'd personally boot Duke and Wake from the ACC, and, bring in Alabama and Auburn, to round out the 12-team league.

ACC Coastal: UVA-UNC-USC-UGA-UF-UA
ACC Atlantic: VPI-NCSU-CU-GT-FSU-AU

A little aside, UF was speaking to the ACC behind the scenes in the early '70s about joining. At least according to some scuttlebutt I read on the UNC boards in the past. I tend to find that a bit far-fetched, but, you never know.

Reaction Score

I think a lot of the ACC ADs are at the least a bit skeptical of ND. It was a matter of survival to align with them, but, I bet some alternatives have been discussed, should the worst happen. All that they can do now is move forward. If it comes back to bite them, they cannot say that they were not warned.

Reaction Score
Cuse fans just say Georgetown is their ultimate rival because it makes them feel better. It's nonsense. UConn just ate their lunch so they act like Georgetown was more important to them anyway. That rivalry peaked 20 years ago. They know the big fish on the schedule was UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom