MSG to televise more ACC games | The Boneyard

MSG to televise more ACC games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not really sure if this is a surprise - after all, YES announced a similar deal a month ago and it's own by the same parent company.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one in the ACC has seen a 2-3 zone.

Reaction Score
I thought MSG no longer existed. Doesn't CPTV get higher ratings?

Reaction Score
Once the Yankees started the YES Network, MSG's days were numbered on COX in Southington, Meriden, Cheshire.Cox added YES & placed it on the channel formerly occupied by MSG. If I want to see anything that's broadcast on MSG, I have to visit the wife's relatives in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
No MSG on DirecTV either in the Hartford area unless you pay extra.

Reaction Score
This was posted on the WVU board: "Delaney must be stewing...He wants to exploit NY market..and the ACC is moving first...Maybe picking up UConn would be a counter move."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/deal_acc_big_east_to_get_airtime_aaBI6GIkvme4fmbxtMTogJ[/quote]

I'd prefer to see UConn in the B1G, but I think they will end up in the ACC. If it looks like the B1G is getting serious about adding UConn, the ACC will just move faster and get UConn first.

Too many obstacles for UConn to join the B1G, the main ones being AAU status and another team to join with. I'd be surprised if the B1G added UConn and nobody else. The obstacle can be overcome, but when that starts to happen the ACC will likely pounce. IIRC part of the reasoning behind the ACC taking Louisville over UConn was that they figured UConn wasn't going anywhere. Once it looks like UConn might go somewhere, I expect the ACC to act.

The ACC can add UConn right now and have a even number of teams for most sports. The ACC would also be in a good position in New York, having UConn, Syracuse and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
NYC is so obviously the key to UConn getting into a P5
Neither the B1G or the ACC really needs us but losing us to the other conference would be a harmful especially for the ACC.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
We get MSG via Comcast in New Haven. Knicks, Rangers and plenty of good college football on during the Fall. Some decent college hoops games here and there. It's one of my most-watched sports channels. Not sure why the knock on it, obviously it took a hit when YES launched but it's not a bad network right now.

Reaction Score
We get MSG via Comcast in New Haven. Knicks, Rangers and plenty of good college football on during the Fall. Some decent college hoops games here and there. It's one of my most-watched sports channels. Not sure why the knock on it, obviously it took a hit when YES launched but it's not a bad network right now.

Agreed. I had MSG when I lived in Milford and in Stamford. It's huge in the southwestern part of the state because it shows all of the Knicks and Ranger games. It's right on par with YES in terms of statute and (as much as it pains me as a Mets fan) is above SNY on the NY regional sports network pecking order. MSG also has rights to the Devils and Islanders.

Reaction Score
NYC is so obviously the key to UConn getting into a P5
Neither the B1G or the ACC really needs us but losing us to the other conference would be a harmful especially for the ACC.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Agree. In this video, Delany says that the Big 10 stayed at 12 for a long time before taking Rutgers and Maryland and that was prompted by "other people getting into our territory" (ie. the ACC getting Notre Dame and Pitt).

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/08/can_the_big_ten_ever_get_too_b.html

Reaction Score
Agree. In this video, Delany says that the Big 10 stayed at 12 for a long time before taking Rutgers and Maryland and that was prompted by "other people getting into our territory" (ie. the ACC getting Notre Dame and Pitt).

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/08/can_the_big_ten_ever_get_too_b.html

Some here in ACC country believe his grabbing UMD and RU was a defensive move to keep PSU from maybe joining the ACC.

Buy or sell that idea?

I am not 100 percent sure either way, but, its at least a tiny bit plausivle, IMO.

Reaction Score
Also saw this posted on the WVU board:

He was not happy with the ACC additions of Cuse, Pitt, and ND.
Yep, both you and UofPitt just mentioned that and I think that makes absolute sense. The taking of Maryland and Rutgers are pretty obvious counter punches. The attempt of the Big Ten to break into the ranks of the ACC taking schools is a second piece of evidence.

In the end though, I do think Delany and crew will have to accept their gains in that area and instead look to find some real brands. More moves simply for market will not be looked upon favorably.

Yes, I am talking about UConn.

Reaction Score
Also saw this posted on the WVU board:
Win or lose CFB is still considered entertainment and its all about advertising $ and big markets and fan bases to enrich the coffers!If winning was all that was necessary Boise and WVU would have been more popular moves!UConn is the last open valuable gap in the mosaic in the NE so its only a matter of time!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don 't think Swofford will move for UConn right now. It's smarter to keep the 16 spot open because you never know what can happen. I don't think the B1G will move on UConn until it's proven that Rutgers will not capture the NY market. Also, we aren't AAU and don't have a partner. If the D4 thing happens, I'm afraid we'll have to go indie unless there is some agreed upon conference reorganization.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I don 't think Swofford will move for UConn right now. It's smarter to keep the 16 spot open because you never know what can happen. I don't think the B1G will move on UConn until it's proven that Rutgers will not capture the NY market. Also, we aren't AAU and don't have a partner. If the D4 thing happens, I'm afraid we'll have to go indie unless there is some agreed upon conference reorganization.
Your post's are always so reasonable Funster but I'm trying to stay optimistic and any little thing can set the music in motion again!!I still believe were next as our value is obvious !!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Your post's are always so reasonable Funster but I'm trying to stay optimistic and any little thing can set the music in motion again!!I still believe were next as our value is obvious !!

I agree on anything can set the music in motion. And, if the conditions are right, UConn can go from a school that is forced to sit on the sidelines to a school that is hotly pursued. I just want a safe landing place soon whether it be B1G, ACC or a member of D4 as an indie.

pj

Reaction Score
If the B12 is next up, it will be 2 of USF, UCF, and Cincy next up, as I think travel is a major factor helping Cincy vs UConn and Fox wants Florida.

UConn will have to prove itself as an independent. We'd better be developing the SNY etc relationships regionally. The AAC contract really angered me, UConn couldn't give away all their rights to the AAC and lose its own media relationships. That deal will have to be renegotiated within a few years so UConn can get ready for football independence. The school has to try to build a national brand in football.

Reaction Score
No way the B1G lets Swoffy get UConn!!Lets see the B1g or the ACC? Hmmmm....

You might be right on that one. It will depend upon when the move needs to be done.

While we're at it, don't fool yourself. Had the ACC offered Rutgers first, you all would've jumped on that invite without a second's consideration. If you say otherwise, I believe you are being dishonest.

Reaction Score

Nicky is correct, in that we never know what might happen next in this realignment game. Personally, I do not see anything else happening before year's end. The leagues are going to see just how scheduling for their current alignments shake out. A 16-team schedule for either league would work better than 14-team league, IMHO, so, each has to see just who'd be the No 16 to UConn's No 15.

Reaction Score
I agree on anything can set the music in motion. And, if the conditions are right, UConn can go from a school that is forced to sit on the sidelines to a school that is hotly pursued. I just want a safe landing place soon whether it be B1G, ACC or a member of D4 as an indie.

That safe landing spot is coming.

In all honesty, the B1G has many more options than the ACC, when it comes to having another school to partner UConn with. We are tied to ND. The B1G can offer Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas, to go with you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You might be right on that one. It will depend upon when the move needs to be done.

While we're at it, don't fool yourself. Had the ACC offered Rutgers first, you all would've jumped on that invite without a second's consideration. If you say otherwise, I believe you are being dishonest.
Rutgers fans have openly professed a preference to the B!G but you are correct had the ACC offered them and there was no evidence the B!G wanted them, they would have jumped to the ACC without hesitation.

You are correct about regional rivalries being very important to develop fan bases. Currently there are no great football rivalries in the northeast. One could even argue there are no good football rivalries in the ACC, although the ACC has the greatest basketball rivalry. Cuse is geographically distant but BC is close and if UConn and BC could be strong in the respective sports and sustain that strength for a reasonable time it could generate huge fan interest. Unfortunately BC is more afraid of how UConn can impact them then they are positive of how UConn can help them.

UNC fans love to hate Duke but would never want to see the rivalry end. Same with Red Sox and Yankee fans. But BC's current leadership doesn't accept this paradigm for UConn and BC. Shortsighted view imo and as others postulated it already has impacted them athletically and could impact the ACC in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom