MSG Interview with Val Ackerman | The Boneyard

MSG Interview with Val Ackerman

Reaction Score
Not sure if I saw anyone post this.

Great interview, what a change from the AAC's dingus-in-cheif.

She’s had an amazing career - I didn’t realize she had been with the NBA and then the WNBA prior to leading the Big East. I didn’t realize what she actually DID at the WNBA - she is the first woman to successfully launch and operate a women’s professional sports league. It’s great to have someone who knows and loves both the men’s and women’s game. It’s also pretty amazing to have someone who has the kind of imagination and capability to accomplish what she has at the helm.
We have definitely upgraded.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I saw anyone post this.

Great interview, what a change from the AAC's dingus-in-cheif.

Great interview and impressive person. I actually kinda like the Anderson hire. They aren't going to be great but they should be a consistently tough team.

Reaction Score
Case in point:

(cc: @whaler11 )
Football, football, football...
Mr. Aresco, the AAC “brand”? Really? As a career marketer, I would be spending night and day rebranding anything where the brand essence seemed to ooze “island of misfit toys that we would abandon immediately if anyone else wanted us.”
With the exception of Tulane, it’s a bunch of academically mediocre schools with zero that’s interesting about them.
We are a public ivy and because we’re a basketball first school, we have to hemorrhage money and succumb to your sucky TV deal?
I don’t know whether to wish for ESPN to renegotiate or not. It would be fun to make that happen but it sure won’t make negotiating our exit simpler...

Reaction Score
The AAC was created for two reasons. First, ESPN was able to control UConn, primarily mens and womens hoops, for below market value. Second, to provide cheap content on its second and third tier channels. With the first now gone, look for ESPN to negotiate lower. The AAC is basically worthless.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Case in point:

(cc: @whaler11 )

Interesting...
Since I’m writing this in Tulsa, and TU saw that $1 billion deal between the AAC and ESPN last March as a godsend, and a clause in that deal reportedly allows ESPN to renegotiate should AAC membership change... Let’s start with that media contract.
“We’re going to sit down with ESPN fairly soon,” Aresco said. “Obviously we hope that the impact is minimal, but I really don’t want to get into it. I don’t want to do anything that would put them on the spot.”
Is “renegotiate” the right word?
“We don’t know yet,” Aresco said. “I think we should leave it at that.”

And then there's this...

“The business model for college sports in the modern era essentially says that if you’re going to be in it at the highest level, you need to be all in with football. It’s just that simple,” Aresco said. “We want to be good in men’s and women’s basketball as well, but football has lifted everybody and everything else in this conference. We wouldn’t have the TV deal we have if it weren’t for football.

#thanksmikekeeptalking

Reaction Score
So far Aresco has not negotiated one positive TV deal for a conference. He has TV experience, but did not pan out on the conference side of the bargaining.

As a Big East fan I'm very happy with the deal to let the Big East name and the MSG contract stay with the basketball conference. TV deal 1 Aresco was pantsed. TV deal 2 he inflated revenue for appearances and sacrificed production costs, content, and TV vs streaming. Now he touts the "$1billion" deal as a huge success.

What's worse? The P6 propaganda or the one "Billllllion" dollar TV deal?

Reaction Score
We are a public ivy and because we’re a basketball first school, we have to hemorrhage money and succumb to your sucky TV deal?
UConn is a public Ivy? No question the school has gotten much better but I've never heard it being referred to in those terms. Is it that good these days? When I hear public Ivy I think of UVA, UCal Berkeley, Michigan, UCLA, etc.

Reaction Score
UConn is a public Ivy? No question the school has gotten much better but I've never heard it being referred to in those terms. Is it that good these days? When I hear public Ivy I think of UVA, UCal Berkeley, Michigan, UCLA, etc.

I'd say we're more like a public Patriot at this point.

Reaction Score
I know, I had to look it up, too. But yes, we are. I’m on this parents college FB page and that was the first place I saw it. I checked it out and yes... pretty cool.

Reaction Score
I know, I had to look it up, too. But yes, we are. I’m on this parents college FB page and that was the first place I saw it. I checked it out and yes... pretty cool.

According to Green’s Guide... so I’ll take it. Not on the original list in 1985 but on this list.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've heard it frequently. Only on this board though.

Reaction Score
According to Aresco, 2-3K student Tulsa added something to whatever inexplicably is the American brand.

Reaction Score

According to Green’s Guide... so I’ll take it. Not on the original list in 1985 but on this list.
Not to side track this thread, but that list is totally garbage. All decent schools but some of these? Delaware? Georgia? Arizona? Colorado? Etc., etc., etc.

O.K. we'll go with the Public Ivy description for UConn since someone did call it that, but it's pretty flawed.

Reaction Score
Not to side track this thread, but that list is totally garbage. All decent schools but some of these? Delaware? Georgia? Arizona? Colorado? Etc., etc., etc.

O.K. we'll go with the Public Ivy description for UConn since someone did call it that, but it's pretty flawed.
That’s fair. We’re definitely better than those.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom