Ms St - Lou thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Ms St - Lou thread

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Weird irony in Walz's career.

Maryland hits a miracle 3 to go to OT and win the NC.
Now his opponent hits a miracle 3 to go to OT and win in the F4.

Not sure an open 3 by a 42% shooter is a miracle. She did it at Iowa State last year to send that game to OT.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this was talked about earlier but I'm not gonna wade thru the whole game thread. I question Louisville not fouling MSU on their last possession in regulation to prevent the 3 point shot. Seemed like a perfect opportunity. They even had a foul to give and didn't use that one. I think that cost them the game more than Hines-Allen shooting too early on the previous possession.

Yup. Louisville gave this game away in the last few minutes. Horrible coaching & refs led to disaster.

Reaction Score
What a shame that Louisville lost. They really had it in the bag and let it slip through their fingers. Give credit to Mississippi State for playing tough and making clutch shots.

I do not intend to be ungenerous. And maybe I just don’t have an expert eye. But I just don’t see what everyone thinks is so great about McGowans. I swear I saw about a half dozen things she did wrong in the last ten minutes of the game: swatting a jump ball clear out of bounds when she clearly won the toss; Before that, failing to foul on the Louisville player who drove along the baseline for the reverse layup with 13 seconds left; near the end of overtime, blocking a shot and then chasing it out of bounds to give it back to Louisville; traveling on the very next play after getting a rebound; she threw the ball out of bounds at one point in the fourth quarter. I think I saw her almost throw the ball away on another occasion (possibly in the third quarter). And she just seems really slow up and down the court.

Again, there are things that she does which are almost unstoppable. But that seems to be primarily because of her remarkable height advantage. I certainly don’t begrudge her that. I just don’t see why she is considered an all American, statistics not withstanding. Her only option scoring is little put backs directly under the basket. Maybe this is not a representative game. I guess she is really good at positioning herself for rebounds.
I agree about McGowan! She's incredibly strong and quite good just around the basket for easy put ins and put backs. She has improved and will continue to do so but her game is limited! She's an excellent rebounder but then again that ain't that hard being 6'7" and so strong!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I’m still trying to understand a ref calling a T at that moment in time. This is the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Some of the passing by both teams was awful. Can't decide which was worse, the passing or the officiating.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Well for those of us that wanted to face MSST in the final, they did their part... I like it and we will see if it was fluke last year or if they are just better (not saying they did not deserve to win last year.) I guess the fact they are in the finals 2 year in a row they are not fluke. I love to break their heart now as they did to us!!!

MSU's not a fluke, but UConn is the better team when both teams are at their best. Just a fact, but the game still has to be played and upsets happen.

Reaction Score
No technical no overtime
This is something that occurred to me right away. I get the technical foul rule. I just think the refs have to allow for a little emotion. And calling the technical at that point, in a one point game, with a trip to the national championship in the balance, and two minutes left…

Just seems inappropriate time to exercise discretion by calling the technical.

But then, the refs are human and may have believed in the heat of the moment that it was necessary to call it as they see it, and to make sure that the players know who’s in charge. Not necessarily faulting the ref who called it. Just probably should not have been called, in retrospect given the stakes and circumstances.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this was talked about earlier but I'm not gonna wade thru the whole game thread. I question Louisville not fouling MSU on their last possession in regulation to prevent the 3 point shot. Seemed like a perfect opportunity. They even had a foul to give and didn't use that one. I think that cost them the game more than Hines-Allen shooting too early on the previous possession.

As I said in an earlier comment, I think they did try to foul. Play just developed too quickly.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm fine with Hines-Allen taking the layup. There was still plenty of time left; even if she shaved a few seconds off, MSU would still have been able to set up a final play. Plus she's not a great free throw shooter. Not sure if Louisville tried to foul, but MSU got the shot off pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
Whatever the outcome is, UConn remembers what happened. And Geno said last year, that game wasn’t supposed to be like that reffering to the players inexperience of contributing significantly in that kind of atmosphere. A year older now, whatever happens UConn is not going down without a fight.
U Conn is not going down period!
Yes MS plays very very good physical defense and has Vivians and McGowan, bring what each does so well.
Last year they set the tone and took us out of our game. This year we will be setting the tone defensively and MS, as evidenced by this win, has huge difficulty scoring. This will continue!
I think we will beat them comfortably!
Bronx23

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
MSU's not a fluke, but UConn is the better team when both teams are at their best. Just a fact, but the game still has to be played and upsets happen.
If UConn and MSU played 10 times last season, MSU wins once. The definition of fluke.

Reaction Score
MSU is a much tougher matchup since Z's advantage is now neutralized. UConn better hope their shots are falling.
Disagree ... Z is much quicker, her height can counter MCowen just getting rebounds because she is bigger than everyone else, and we do not rely on Z as much as MSST relies on McCowen.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
MSU plays an ugly, physical style of basketball. Ughh. Not good for WCBB.

Give me a break. They play tough defense, always have under Vic, but Louisville does too and that made for a hard fought, pretty ugly game. That happens when two great teams come together.

I can point you to plenty of replays where MSU looks UConn like on offense, just rare when playing a team of Louisville's caliber.

Reaction Score
If we should get past ND, we would have our work cut out for us that's for sure. Too bad we couldn't have our rematch with South Carolina happen in the final.
You Husky fans are so humble. I mean that sincerely

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
U Conn is not going down period!
Yes MS plays very very good physical defense and has Vivians and McGowan, bring what each does so well.
Last year they set the tone and took us out of our game. This year we will be setting the tone defensively and MS, as evidenced by this win, has huge difficulty scoring. This will continue!
I think we will beat them comfortably!
Bronx23

82 ppg. 10th in D1 scoring. Lots of sweeping judgements being made about a 37-1 team's hard fought win against one of the 4 best teams in WCBB.

Reaction Score
No. Walz should have gone after Vivians immediately in OT to get Vivians out of the game. Durr should have come through for them in the first half. Fuehring should have maintained her composure. The Louisville team should have maintained there composure during the last few in regulation. They should have made that layup before time ran out and won in regulation. UL earned this loss.
You nailed it

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Mississippi State. Pretty amazing to win national semifinal games in overtime in two consecutive years. Showing lots of clutch play.

Very nice of you to say. Had that epic OT game with Baylor in the regional final as well last year.

Reaction Score
If UConn and MSU played 10 times last season, MSU wins once. The definition of fluke.
But you don't play the game 10 times. It's win or go home. That's how this tournament has played out for a while now

Reaction Score
ezgif-5-9a3126642d.gif

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
But you don't play the game 10 times. It's win or go home. That's how this tournament has played out for a while now
Thank you Captain Obvious

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom