Movies I would like to see | The Boneyard

Movies I would like to see

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As GOUCONN points out, there are some terrible ideas that have been made into movies. That said, I think there are some really good ideas that have not been made into movies. Some of the things I would like to see a movie of:

Shantarum - this is a book by Gregory David Roberts set in Mumbai. It is an awesome book and would be easy to adapt to a movie. First Russell Crowe, then Johnny Depp, then Joel Edgerton got attached to it, but the movie is going nowhere. Crowe and Depp area too old now, and Edgerton is probably too old too. Crowe in his prime would have been perfect. I don't think it will ever happen, which is disappointing.

Julius Caesar - set this in modern times, like Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, which I thought was awesome. Julius Caesar is my favorite Shakespeare play, and there is a lot that a smart director could do with that script.

Vlad the Impaler - the vampire trend seems to be winding down, but swords and sandles movies are still popular. Vlad is the inspiration for Count Dracula, and was batscalito crazy. He is also one of the more interesting characters in European history, and was important in saving western civilization from Ottoman domination in the mid 15th century.

Shogun - There is so much crappy TV and movies being remade, and then there is the miniseries Shogun, which was awesome but had some flaws that a remake could fix. I couldn't stand Richard Chamberlain, and I think HBO or Starz could make an epic limited series with this material. That era of Japanese history is among the most interesting of any country's history, anywhere in the world.

Financial Crash - Most apocalypse movies start with a disease, environmental calamity, or nuclear war. I think a movie with an apocalyptic future resulting from a financial collapse would seem more realistic (because it is) and would be pretty cool. The movie could start with just another trading day, and then have a major government or bank collapse suddenly, setting in motion dominoes that result in the total collapse of society.

Any others?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A Confederacy of Dunces. Have heard rumors of a movie in the works for decades but nothing so far. Could be really good, or terrible, 100% dependent on casting.

Reaction Score
I think a movie about the Sandusky and Paterno scandal could be good (though depressing).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think a movie about the Sandusky and Paterno scandal could be good (though depressing).

I assume you know there is one coming to HBO in the next month or two, with Al Pacino.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A Confederacy of Dunces. Have heard rumors of a movie in the works for decades but nothing so far. Could be really good, or terrible, 100% dependent on casting.

Is that book worth reading? I have it lying around somewhere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I absolutely loved it. One of very few books that repeatedly made me laugh out loud while reading. People to whom I have recommended it have either loved it or hated it. I read it a few years before my first visit to New Orleans, where I have been probably 15-20 times since, and I would say that the book captures the essence of the place--and especially its people--very well. Some people hate New Orleans and some people love it. I obviously love it, and I would guess that people's reactions to the book are likely to be in line with how they feel about New Orleans itself.

So...do you like New Orleans?

Reaction Score
I would die if it ever happened, and it would likely mean that Bill Waterson did actually die and they are perverting the property in any number of ways, but a Calvin and Hobbes movie would be amazing. Would love if it were hand drawn animation by Studio Ghibli too.

Reaction Score
I would die if it ever happened, and it would likely mean that Bill Waterson did actually die and they are perverting the property in any number of ways, but a Calvin and Hobbes movie would be amazing. Would love if it were hand drawn animation by Studio Ghibli too.

Calvin and Hobbes was a wonderful comic strip, and really as good as comic strips get. I lament that Bill Waterson pulled the plug on it while it was still in its prime, which also happened to a few of my other favorite strips of the time such as Far Side and Bloom County.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I have it as well. Couldn't get past the first 30 pages or so on multiple tries. Didn't matter to me that it was a classic that I should read, I just couldn't stand Ignatius's character after only 30 pages. For that same reason, I doubt I'd watch the movie.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Hollywood get any of Carl Hiaasen's books right. I know rights to several have been bought, but the only one made was Strip Tease, which was a total botch job. Demi Moore was all wrong for the part of Erin and Burt Reynolds simply too over the top stupid for the senator.

I believe the problem with converting most Hiaasen books to the screen is that while they're all comedies, most of them have some pretty graphic deaths embedded in the laughs. For instance, I'm not sure how a director would portray the bad guy getting raped to death by a dolphin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have it as well. Couldn't get past the first 30 pages or so on multiple tries. Didn't matter to me that it was a classic that I should read, I just couldn't stand Ignatius's character after only 30 pages. For that same reason, I doubt I'd watch the movie.
Have you been to New Orleans? If so, did you like it?

Not surprised you didn’t like the book; just curious to test my hypothesis.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Have you been to New Orleans? If so, did you like it?

Not surprised you didn’t like the book; just curious to test my hypothesis.

Three times. All related to work. Two I enjoyed. The third I was constantly trying to keep my trade show crew from snorting their entire meal per diems.

Reaction Score
I read the book years ago, but I don't believe he was meant to be likable. There are a lot of absurd characters that are unlikable, but sympathetic. Like Blanche in Streetcar. Ignatius reminds me of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. Again, it's been decades since I read that book, but that's how I remember it. I do think part of the popularity is due to the tragic end to the author. EDIT: I didn't really answer the question posed by this thread. I think Confederacy would have to be a deep-Indie film unless it changed its tone for the reasons that you disliked the character/book.

Sticking with this venue (the Boneyard), I'll add that it would be fun to see Christopher Guest do a sports-oriented mocumentary. Mascots was close. Maybe a full movie of his synchronized swimming skit with Martin Short.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher need to be handled in Game of Thrones style. I believe that is already in the works, but I am not sure who is picking it up. The Iron Druid books could make for fun movies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Pierce Brown's Red Rising series. Someone bought movie rights but it's reportedly been stuck in development hell for several years. I could see movie adaptations going horribly wrong, but if they were done well that would be pretty awesome.

A much different kind of book that I think would make a very fun film is "The Secret of Santa Vittoria." Apparently there is a 1969 film adaptation. I have a hard time w/ older films, haven't seen it, not that likely to. The story is whimsical and wry. Some simpleton villagers in the Italian countryside outwit the German army during WWII, hiding their precious wine stores from the Nazis.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While not the first name you'd think of, I think Philip Seymore Hoffman could have killed it as Ignatious. Great character actor. He's currently dead tho.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

You aren't supposed to like him. You're supposed to find him preposterous. It's what makes the satire work.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You aren't supposed to like him. You're supposed to find him preposterous. It's what makes the satire work.

An alternative view may suggest it's what makes reading it so painful.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher need to be handled in Game of Thrones style. I believe that is already in the works, but I am not sure who is picking it up.

When I was cleaning out my older brother's house after he died, he had a bunch of Butcher books. I wasn't familiar with the guy, so I read one.

Butcher seems like a good writer. He paints excellent word pictures and Dresden is a good character. Problem I had with the one I read - which is a common complaint I have with supernatural fiction in general - is there's far too much deus ex machina at play. It's what makes GoT completely stupid and aggravating at times.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
An alternative view may suggest it's what makes reading it so painful.

Someone said it above, but his character is like that of The comic bookstore guy in the Simpsons. Just over the top wanker who is amusing to laugh at. That's kind of the angle.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Someone said it above, but his character is like that of The comic bookstore guy in the Simpsons. Just over the top wanker who is amusing to laugh at. That's kind of the angle.

But the comic book guy is not the star.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
While not the first name you'd think of, I think Philip Seymore Hoffman could have killed it as Ignatious. Great character actor. He's currently dead tho.
For some reason I have a vague recollection of his name being thrown around to play him when one of the movie rumors surfaced many years ago. John Goodman too iirc.

Reaction Score
UConn:
Jim Calhoun (Liam Neeson) takes over a last place team in 1986-87, first turns them into hustling, defending athletes and then leads them from out of nowhere to a national championship in 1990.

Maybe if I'm old enough when they make this I'll remember and believe it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom