OT: - Movie Trivia - Vigilantes | The Boneyard

OT: Movie Trivia - Vigilantes

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, on my recommendation, my son just watched Equalizer 2 starring Denzel Washington. For those not familar, Denzel plays a vigilante doling out street justice. What bothered my son was that Denzel was 64 when he made the movie, which detracted from the credibility of the movie. (AS if these movies have much credibility anyway.)

Anyway, I can think of several actors/actresses who have played a similar role. Also, name the movie. How many can you name, and s a bonus how old were they when the movie was made?

I believe that Charles Bronson originated this type of role, but I could be mistaken.

Also, please limit your response to one entry per post, to give others a chance to play. After an appropriate amount of time, you may add another.)

Reaction Score
I believe the first "Equalizer" was the TV version with British actor Edward Woodward in the title role.

It was back in the late 80's.
Woodward in the cult horror classic "Wicker Man" before coming to the US.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I want to expand everyone's vision a little. I'm including Liam Neeson in Taken, Taken 2, and taken 3 in this category. Liam was 62 for Taken 3. He was a vigilante in the sense that he took the law in his own hands.

There have been quite a few of these movies lately. Must be a successful formula. Lots of action, gunplay and violence, not much plot.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Walking Tall 1973 - also my entry for worst movie ever.
Joe Don Baker in his signature role. Yes, it was a "B" movie, but with a cult following. There have been several remakes or versions, the latest being Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in 2007.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Charles Bronson's "Death Wish" series. I believe there were 5 movies.
Charles Bronson was 53 for the original Death Wish, released in 1974. For the last installment, "Death Wish: The Face of Death", Charlie was 73! Definitely a top candidate for oldest actor to play this type of role. Perhaps the quintessential vigilante.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't forget the 2018 Bruce Willis remake of Death Wish.

There's also The Fugitive TV series and the 1993 movie with Harrison Ford.

One of my favorite books from the genre is Clancy's Without Remorse. I believe there is recent (new?) movie of that that has not been well received.

Two great, though gory ones, are the Kill Bills (I & II).

The earliest that I can think of is Robin Hood. We've talked about that in another thread.

The Count of Monte Cristo. The 2002 Caviezel movie is excellent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to expand everyone's vision a little. I'm including Liam Neeson in Taken, Taken 2, and taken 3 in this category. Liam was 62 for Taken 3. He was a vigilante in the sense that he took the law in his own hands.

There have been quite a few of these movies lately. Must be a successful formula. Lots of action, gunplay and violence, not much plot.
Joe Don Baker in his signature role. Yes, it was a "B" movie, but with a cult following. There have been several remakes or versions, the latest being Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in 2007.
Charles Bronson was 53 for the original Death Wish, released in 1974. For the last installment, "Death Wish: The Face of Death", Charlie was 73! Definitely a top candidate for oldest actor to play this type of role. Perhaps the quintessential vigilante.
Also, please limit your response to one entry per post, to give others a chance to play. After an appropriate amount of time, you may add another.) :D

CL82

Reaction Score
Also, please limit your response to one entry per post, to give others a chance to play. After an appropriate amount of time, you may add another.) :D
How many can you name, and s a bonus how old were they when the movie was made?
I only got this far and started knocking them out. I didn't notice the limit on answers until @mbr33ct posted it.

Sorry Dog GIF by swerk

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Don't forget the 2018 Bruce Willis remake of Death Wish.
Bruce Willis as John McClane in the Die Hard series qualifies, I believe. He is working without the police to kill the bad guys. I think this fits the definition of vigilante. Agree or disagree?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I only got this far and started knocking them out. I didn't notice the limit on answers until @mbr33ct posted it.

Sorry Dog GIF by swerk
Not a problem. It was only a suggestion. My thinking was that I didn't want some movie buff to knock off 20 examples before anyone else got a chance. But, feel free to go ahead and list several at this point. I don't think we all realize how many examples are out there.

Let me add Keanu Reeves as John Wick in that series.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bruce Willis as John McClane in the Die Hard series qualifies, I believe. He is working without the police to kill the bad guys. I think this fits the definition of vigilante. Agree or disagree?
I'm going with no but it is debatable. He was stuck in the building and had no choice. It's like Unforgiven. Are the vigilantes or assassins?

CL82

Reaction Score
Not a problem. It was only a suggestion. My thinking was that I didn't want some movie buff to knock off 20 examples before anyone else got a chance. But, feel free to go ahead and list several at this point. I don't think we all realize how many examples are out there.

Let me add Keanu Reeves as John Wick in that series.
I thought about John Wick. I think I qualifies but II and III do not.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just watched Jodie Foster play a vigilante in 2007 "The Brave One." Here's the IMDB synopsis:

"Struggling to recover emotionally from a brutal assault that killed her fiancé and left her in a coma, a radio personality begins a quest for vengeance against the perpetrators that leaves a bloody trail across New York City. "

If you enjoy this genre, watch this one.

Reaction Score
Sylvester Stallone played the movie Rambo: Last Blood in 2018 at age 72 (born 1946).

The film, which was released on September 20, 2019 in the United States,grossed $18.9 million in its opening weekend, the best debut of the franchise. The film grossed $91 million worldwide against a production budget of $50 million.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Best of all time; Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock.

Reaction Score
Surprised no one has mentioned Dirty Harry yet. I think the first predated DW and iirc DH came out in 1971. And yes, I know DH was a cop but he sure seemed to bend the rules to shoot the bad guys.

As to Clint Eastwood, he was up there when he did Unforgiven which to me was a vigilante (albeit hired).

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think one element of these movies is seeking revenge (or justice) for yourself or a close family member. Especially when the police will not do anything to help. (Hands are tied by the law.) If you include close personal friends, then Unforgiven certainly fits. Amovie I can watch repeatedly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom