Movie Recommendations | The Boneyard

Movie Recommendations

Reaction Score
I know, another movie thread, but i’m interested in what you guys have to add. I’m a huge fan of Wes Anderson and indie movies like that, so looking for some recommendations on similar genre/themed movies that you all have seen. I can start this off with a few:

The Brothers Bloom

The End of the Tour (David Foster Wallace Biopic)

Amelie

Lost in Translation (Obviously very known but fantastic and similar)

Garden State

The Lobster

Stranger Than Paradise

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Since you included Amelie, a few other foreign films you might enjoy: "OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies" and "The Valet."

Reaction Score
Michel Gondry in a lot of ways is the closest you can get to Wes Anderson if you ask me:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Science of Sleep
Be Kind Rewind
Mood Indigo

Also Jean-Pierre Jeunet has that sort of intricate style too, and since you liked Amelie:
City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
A Very Long Engagement

Others:
Little Miss Sunshine
Juno
Safety Not Guaranteed (the whole mumblecore genre really)
Blue Ruin
Submarine
Ruby Sparks
Being John Malkovich
Frances Ha
Brick and Looper (since you seem to like Rian Johnson)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Ruby Sparks
Frances Ha
Brick and Looper (since you seem to like Rian Johnson)

Good calls. You've got several indie queens w/ Zoey Deschanel, Greta Gerwig and Zoe Kazan. A couple more along the same lines w/ those actresses--Mistress America, (500) Days of Summer, and Happythankyoumoreplease.

Liberal Arts is another one.

Reaction Score
Some excellent films in this thread. There is nothing quite like Amelie, and I mean that in a very positive sense. Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, City of Lost Children, Juno, and Being John Malkovich are all top notch movies in my opinion.

I would toss Stranger Than Fiction into this mix as well. Great oddball film of a fictional character in a very real world. Sort of does for Will Ferrell what Eternal Sunshine did for Jim Carrey.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thought of another movie. "In A World..." starring Lake Bell. I think she wrote and directed it as well. She plays an actress trying to break into the world of voice over work, but it's a field completely dominated by men (including her father, who is a legend). She also does some voice coaching on the side. It's a nice mixture of comedy and drama. I thought Bell was really good in this film.

Reaction Score
"Hell or High Water" ....Chris Pine, Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges.

Surprisingly great movie. Foster should have gotten a supporting Oscar nomination for this, but Pine and Bridges are also really good as well.

Reaction Score
"Hell or High Water" ....Chris Pine, Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges.

Surprisingly great movie. Foster should have gotten a supporting Oscar nomination for this, but Pine and Bridges are also really good as well.

Hell or High Water is a terrifically entertaining movie with plenty to say about the American banking system and the people affected by it. I thought it was one of the best movies of the year, and it did get several Academy Awards nominations including Best Picture, and it did get rave reviews as well. Also thought that Jeff Bridges with his charismatic performance was well deserving of his Oscar nomination for this film, although I thought it was more of a lead role (along with Chris Pines) instead of a supporting role.

Reaction Score
I do not want to start another new thread, unless it is ok, in which case I will.

But what animated movies do you guys like?

I am looking for movies that cover more heavy stuff.

Examples of that, and some of my favorite in general, are:

3. Coraline - I love stop motion animation. I respect it a lot and this one is kind of dark too.

2. Iron Giant - Very moving movie, with some interesting twists.

1. Grave of the Fireflies - Probably the only animated movie I know of that can make (at least people I know if) cry. Beautiful movie.

What else would you recommend? Especially similar to 1 or 2.

Reaction Score
I do not want to start another new thread, unless it is ok, in which case I will.

But what animated movies do you guys like?

I am looking for movies that cover more heavy stuff.

Examples of that, and some of my favorite in general, are:

3. Coraline - I love stop motion animation. I respect it a lot and this one is kind of dark too.

2. Iron Giant - Very moving movie, with some interesting twists.

1. Grave of the Fireflies - Probably the only animated movie I know of that can make (at least people I know if) cry. Beautiful movie.

What else would you recommend? Especially similar to 1 or 2.
I'd be all for a dedicated animated movie thread. Hand drawn animation especially is something I've long loved and will truly lament once its gone for good. In the west that day is probably already come and gone so thank goodness for the Japanese! Since you listed Grave I take it you're open to Japanese Anime in general. Studio Ghibli is the natural starting point and I'm sure you've heard of some/many of their films (Grave being one of them). Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind -- all being beautifully animated, well done and well told stories. Some more whimsical than others, and all of them really having some mature themes within. Really, Ghibli and Miyazaki's films are the preeminent examples of Japanese animation excellence.

Still a great many other films to consider too:

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
Armitage III
Steamboy
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Ghost in the Shell (and it's sequels)
Millenium Actress
Metropolis
Paprika
Summer Wars
5 Centimeter per Second
Tekkonkinkreet
Patlabor
Tokyo Godfathers
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
....and a million more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Out of these above Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Wings of Honneamise had huge impacts on me as a kid watching them. I count Paprika among my favorite movies ever as well, just incredible and a terrible shame that Satoshi Kon died so young.

This isn't even counting any animated series'. Tons of good ones to choose from there too. My faves: Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Fooly Cooly (FLCL), and finally The Big O. That there barely scratches the surface of the thousands upon thousands that are out there both good and bad, but I generally find it harder to get into watching too many different series'. Who has the time?

Ok, so that's Japan. Other countries do the animated thing too:

Heavy Metal
Persepolis
Waltz with Bashir
The Triplets of Belleville
The Secret of Kells
The Illusionist
A Cat in Paris
Song of the Sea

My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
(I've yet to see these last two, but I'm including them as I've read they are very poignant)

Only thing I would add to these, and since you listed Coraline earlier, would be a few clay or model animated films, mostly from Nick Park and the people at Aardman Animations. All of the Wallace and Gromit shorts are great and the feature Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is tremendous as well. I know you said more "heavy stuff" but really they are quite awesome. Chicken Run was pretty good too, and Early Man looks to be hilarious coming soon. The folks over at Laika (which is run by Phil Knight's son) having been pretty solid too, with Coraline, The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman, and Kubo and the Two Strings.

Reaction Score
This might be a repeat of what has been written earlier, but I enjoy seeing animated feature films as well. Many of these have been nominated for the Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature, although they invariably end up losing to the more the mainstream and well known productions put out by Pixar and company. In my mind, these more off the beaten track films win just by getting nominated. Anyway, here is a small list of films that I would recommend.

Wallace & Gromit – I love all their shorts and their feature film, “Curse of the Were-Rabbit”. Another recent Aardman production that I have no qualms in recommending is the “Shaun the Sheep Movie”. It’s another very good model based animated film.

My two favorite animated films in recent years are “The Secret of Kells” and “Song of the Sea”. Both these films have big doses of Celtic mythology entwined in the stories that they tell. While I think “The Secret of Kells” is the slightly better of the two movies, both are top notch. Animated filmmaking doesn’t get much better than these two movies.

Here’s a few other animated films that I thought were quite good:

The Triplets of Belleville - a particular favorite of my wife.
Kubo and the Two Strings
The Red Turtle

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul