Movie Hindsight 2020 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Movie Hindsight 2020

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A Family That Fights (2019) - Really great comedy here.

A British family totally into wrestling. They coach and travel putting on shows for their WAW.

Nick Frost is the patriarch who puts all his chips in on his son and daughter getting a big shot. Florence Pugh (Midsommar) is the daughter who gets a contract with WWE.

Based on a true story of DIVA champ, Paige.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A Family That Fights (2019) - Really great comedy here.
A very watchable little film. Vince Vaughn tires to act and succeeds. A rare cinema moment.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A very watchable little film. Vince Vaughn tires to act and succeeds. A rare cinema moment.

Dwayne Johnson was brilliant playing himself in this film. :rolleyes:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Warrior (2011) - Nick Nolte was a horrible drunk dad. His two sons grew up to have issues.

Josh Edgerton and Tom Hardy enter a all-or-nothing MMA event and end up in the title fight v. each other.

Overall, a good watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - This was more in Ferrell's silly wheelhouse. Some of the song's were legitimately good. You could do worse with 90 minutes.

I would put this in the top half of Ferrell's movies all time, and Rachel McAdams was good too.

This movie is strange, even for Ferrell, and I know some people will hate it, but I agree with Mano's take. Fun 90 minutes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I would put this in the top half of Ferrell's movies all time, and Rachel McAdams was good too.

This movie is strange, even for Ferrell, and I know some people will hate it, but I agree with Mano's take. Fun 90 minutes.
We're eyeballing this one. Probably will watch.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) - The lols were happening pretty quickly here. Rachel McAdams was great and hot, too. Graham Norton as the contest announcer gave me a few chuckles. Ferrell was Ferrell..in "Elf" grandeur here.

As noted...a fun watch.

In the final scene Lars and Sigrit were on stage singing and he had their baby hanging from his beck. I swear, its the same baby from The Hangover.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good to hear. I half-read a bad review that seemed more like a Ferrell hit job. I'll put this on the list.

Reaction Score
Palm Springs (2020) - Available on Hulu. Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti star in this time loop romantic comedy that is surprisingly good. I can't give any details of the plot without spoiling it, so I won't. The movie is funny, well written, and more respectful of the time travel aspects of the story than many sci-fi movies that use time travel. The stars aren't great actors, but they are great for their roles. Milioti in particular is effective at being the average every-woman. She doesn't have the looks or charisma of the typical romcom lead actress, but that is the point. She is a regular person. Samberg is always a comedian trying to act, so Milioti has to do the heavy lifting in this movie.
I watched Palm Springs last light and absolutely loved it. I don't watch a ton of movies, but this is the best new movie I've watched in a while.

Calling it a rom-com is a lazy generalization and I hate that genre, but it's a sweet, funny, weird movie that was a very good directorial debut for Max Barbakow. Mrs. Adrien! loved the color and textual palates too (she's an art teacher/studio artist).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd never heard of "To the Stars," kinda doubt it ever hit theaters. It's available to stream from Kanopy, description sounded interesting. I really like Liana Liberato, she's on my list of actresses who I think should be much more well known and appreciated. The main character though is played by Kara Hayward. I didn't even recognize her, but she was "the girl" in Moonrise Kingdom and also had a prominent role in Sisterhood of Night, so I have seen her before.

It's set in rural Oklahoma in the 50s. Kara is the shy girl everybody picks on. Liana is a new girl in town, a sophisticated girl from Kansas City. She befriends Kara and tries really hard to pull her out of her shell. Liana has some issues of her own that are teased a bit, but finally revealed about 2/3 of the way thru the movie. I did not see that coming.

It's slow paced, and a bit longish, but some good performances and worth watching I thought. A few other recognizable faces among the adults in the film like Malin Akerman, Tony Hale and Shea Whigham.

Reaction Score
Extra Ordinary (2019) - Ectoplasm abounds in this Ghostbusters influenced supernatural comedic film from Ireland. So what happens when a woman with supernatural connections and knowledge attempts to suppress her talents in that field? Well, in this case there is hearty call for her services anyway that she makes an effort to resist, but this is a supernatural movie, so you have to account for her doing something. Also at work is a one hit wonder musician who works the other side of the supernatural tracks and calls in satanic forces in search for another stab at stardom. This is a comedic off kilter tale that I found interesting and amusing throughout. It threatens to go off the tracks in the climatic confrontation scene that is really crazy, but with all the craziness going on I found it had the effect of really winning me over to this screwballish film. I do have to report that my wife is much less enthusiastic about this movie than me, and that the climatic confrontation scene did go off the tracks for her. Still, this one worked for me. I have read that are some complaints about the Irish accents that the actors making the dialogue difficult to understand, but in general I did not have a big problem with that in this film.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dolemite is my Name (2019) - Eddie Murphy is in every scene of this film where he plays a flamboyant entertainment who does whatever it takes to make in entertainment.

Funny throughout. You can tell Murphy really liked making this movie.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
6 Underground (2019) - Michael Bay directed this action-packed thriller. Incredible special effects throughout. A hand-picked team of mercs pull off missions that make the world a little bit better.

So, yes, you have to suspend belief a lot. But its' okay because the film has eye-candy, car chases, explosions. slo-mo deaths of bad guys and stuff.

Mine 9 (2019) - This was a pretty intense movie. Yep, another mine disaster flick and this one was pretty good. During end credits real miners talk about the life.

Reaction Score
I watched Palm Springs last light and absolutely loved it. I don't watch a ton of movies, but this is the best new movie I've watched in a while.

Calling it a rom-com is a lazy generalization and I hate that genre, but it's a sweet, funny, weird movie that was a very good directorial debut for Max Barbakow. Mrs. Adrien! loved the color and textual palates too (she's an art teacher/studio artist).

I’ll second Palm Springs. Very well done.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll put this out there. Not for everybody but it's only 17 minutes long. "What Did Jack Do" by David Lynch on Netflix. Once you start watching you won't be able to stop (talking monkey). Lynch is a crazy genius. Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll put this out there. Not for everybody but it's only 17 minutes long. "What Did Jack Do" by David Lynch on Netflix. Once you start watching you won't be able to stop (talking monkey). Lynch is a crazy genius. Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet...

That was fantastic. I would've never thought to watch it w/o you mentioning it.

Reaction Score
Sweeney Todd (2007) - The full name of this Tim Burton directed adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical horror show is "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street". That full title gives you a pretty good idea of the bloody mayhem that you are about to encounter. This is certainly dark, dark, bloody material, and most of the characters in this story don't show much in the way of any redeeming values, but it is still all very entertaining. Given the subject matter it is a bit of a surprise that this musical does not leave you in a downbeat and sour mood after all the bloodletting, but this musical pulls it off. That has to be a tribute to Sondheim’s creation, together with Tim Burton and company in capably bringing it to the screen.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mississippi Burning (1988) - It was on Friday night. Happened on it and stuck with it. Epic film.

A young Frances McDormand and Willem Dafoe. Hackman was great. Merle guy from Walking Dead was a savage.

Reaction Score
Scoob! - For the kid's. I don't remember a thing about it.

The Adjustment Bureau - Kind of interesting premise that gets laughably silly by the end. The resolution did nothing to really support the set up.

Wind River - Taylor Sheridan is absolutely one of the best working writer/directors. Climax was fantastic. I soooo wish I liked Jeremy Renner better as an actor.

The King of Staten Island - Love Bill Burr. Not a big Davidson fan but he was decent playing what is essentially himself. Stop casting your daughter Apatow. I am now a big Bel Powley fan.

An American Pickle - Ridiculous premise but it did at least allow for an interesting dynamic of old school vs. new generation. Your interest probably hinges on how much you like Rogen. I like him ok. I thought the movie was ok.

Class Action Park - Paint by numbers doc. Not bad, a fairly lightweight feeling recap of events. Like a Heavy.com 5 Things You Need to Know webcap page brought to life as a documentary-lite. I definitely wished I had the pleasure of visiting or working there as a kid/teen.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Adjustment Bureau - Kind of interesting premise that gets laughably silly by the end. The resolution did nothing to really support the set up.

I rather enjoyed it when I first watched it. The interactions between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt alone made it worth seeing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Adjustment Bureau

Also fairly sure this was based on a Phillip K. Dick short story. Amazing how much of his writings have been turned into movies or tv series. I read some of his short stories, they had kernels of a really interesting ideas but didn't seem fleshed out all that well.

Reaction Score
Also fairly sure this was based on a Phillip K. Dick short story. Amazing how much of his writings have been turned into movies or tv series. I read some of his short stories, they had kernels of a really interesting ideas but didn't seem fleshed out all that well.
Yup, definitely an unfleshed out Dick short.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) - The lols were happening pretty quickly here. Rachel McAdams was great and hot, too. Graham Norton as the contest announcer gave me a few chuckles. Ferrell was Ferrell..in "Elf" grandeur here.

As noted...a fun watch.

In the final scene Lars and Sigrit were on stage singing and he had their baby hanging from his beck. I swear, its the same baby from The Hangover.

Dan Stevens was really good as the semi-villain in Eurovision. "No gay people in Russia. He, him." I laugh every time I think about that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Class Action Park - Paint by numbers doc. Not bad, a fairly lightweight feeling recap of events. Like a Heavy.com 5 Things You Need to Know webcap page brought to life as a documentary-lite. I definitely wished I had the pleasure of visiting or working there as a kid/teen.

Those of us that went to Action Park have a different perspective on this documentary. It reminded me just how dangerous, and fun, that place was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom