Most Unexpectedly Good Concert Performer | The Boneyard

Most Unexpectedly Good Concert Performer

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The idea here is a concert you attended with low expectations and were really surprised by how good they were. I could have added unexpectedly bad, but we have enough negativity in our lives lately. Let's focus on positives. Elaborate on the setting and situation and why is was surprising.

1. Tom Jones. Boston, just last winter. Many singers have lost their voice. Tom Jones has not. I knew a couple of songs going in, and his reputation. The dude is lights out. Incredible voice, but he has that ability to do more, to entertain and engage the audience that is so lacking among many modern acts that rely on big screens, pyrotechnics and stages full of dancers.

2. Chris Isaak. Boston (old Harborlights) about 4-5 years ago. We were at the Cheap Trick show the week before and my wife saw he was playing the next week. Walked up and got third row center tickets that had just been released. Like Tom Jones, the guy understands how to entertain in the old school style. Fun show.

3. Greg Allman Band/Dickie Betts Band. Early 1980's Agora Ballroom, Hartford. I had high expectations, and they were exceeded. Didn't know what kind of hostility there might be with these two. None it seems. They came together at the end and played several songs together, so you essentially had the Allman Brothers minus Duane. Small venue, and songs like Melissa were freaking haunting when every single person in the place is singing along.

Honorable mention: David Lee Roth @ Foxwoods (before his voice went). Bryan Setzer Orchestra @ San Francisco. NRBQ at every Al's Birthday show at the Windsor Ramada. Cheap Trick @ Mandalay Bay - Vegas. I'll add Neil Giraldo here. Saw him and wife Pat Benetar. Didn't know squat about him, but he's the key to her success. She has the voice, but he writes the songs, and he's the lead on stage. Funny guy. Lots of stories.

Reaction Score
ZZ Top - Went to Mohegan as they were opening for Aerosmith. All in all, ZZ Top blew Aerosmith away (Tyler may have been stoned). Always liked them but surprised how great they were in concert.

Molly Hatchet - Played in real small club at Hard Rock Cafe hotel at Universal. Surprised to know more than 1 of their songs. Great.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (modern) - sound alot like original (though no good original songs)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Neil Diamond last summer at Mohegan Sun. Got the tickets as a Christmas present for my wife last year and figured it would be a mixture of tolerable nostalgia and schlock. I knew--and liked--almost every single song, he sounded great, looked pretty damned good for his age and had a crack band. Almost 30 songs, too.

Unexpectedly great.

Reaction Score
Around ten years ago a friend was traveling through the Bay Area during his honeymoon and was staying with me for a few days on his trip. As a surprise, I bought tickets for The Wallflowers who were playing at the SF Fillmore. I really didn't expect much as I only bought the tickets because that was the band that was playing the night we had open, but they put on a great show.

Another surprisingly great show, also at the SF Fillmore, was Joe Jackson. Though I must throw out the caveat that I saw Joe Jackson subsequently at different venues and he never matched the intensity of that first time.

The OP mentioned Chris Isaak and I heartily concur. I've seen him many times over the years at this smallish, outdoor venue and he always puts on a good show. Like was mentioned, he's just a great entertainer. Plus, he makes for a great date night as the women seem to love him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I caught Eddie Money back at the Agora. He rocked, no ballads. Unless you count Trinidad as a ballad.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Black 47 at the The Globe in Norwalk in 1995. I subsequently saw them another half dozen times, but that first one was wild.

Waterboys at The Avalon in Boston. I'd seen them in NYC in the late 80s when they were in their "traditional Irish" incarnation, but they rocked the Avalon with their 80s "Big Music".

I won't say I had low expectations, but I saw Prince in Pittsburgh on the Musicology tour and that show blew away even high expectations. Best show I've ever seen and it isn't close. Second place would go to Springsteen at MSG on The River tour in 1981. Four hours and he brought the house down. I've seen him twice since then and have been disappointed both times. I'll round out a top five by throwing in Paul Simon on the Graceland tour at SPAC (Saratoga Springs). That was more than I expected as some of the classic S&G tunes adopted some African beats and instrumentation which gave them new life.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Black 47 at the The Globe in Norwalk in 1995. I subsequently saw them another half dozen times, but that first one was wild.

Waterboys at The Avalon in Boston. I'd seen them in NYC in the late 80s when they were in their "traditional Irish" incarnation, but they rocked the Avalon with their 80s "Big Music".

I won't say I had low expectations, but I saw Prince in Pittsburgh on the Musicology tour and that show blew away even high expectations. Best show I've ever seen and it isn't close. Second place would go to Springsteen at MSG on The River tour in 1981. Four hours and he brought the house down. I've seen him twice since then and have been disappointed both times. I'll round out a top five by throwing in Paul Simon on the Graceland tour at SPAC (Saratoga Springs). That was more than I expected as some of the classic S&G tunes adopted some African beats and instrumentation which gave them new life.

Great call on the Waterboys. Wife took me to see them in Boston too...might have been House of Blues.

That reminded me of another, Luka Bloom (the first time at least) at McGanns. The guy is great to see live. John Pizzarelli is another.

Reaction Score
I caught Eddie Money back at the Agora. He rocked, no ballads. Unless you count Trinidad as a ballad.

Saw (and met) him last year. His kids are in his band now. Pretty cool fam.

Reaction Score
This might sound strange - but Coldplay. I never really got all of the hype - but they are GREAT live.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great call on the Waterboys. Wife took me to see them in Boston too...might have been House of Blues.

If they were ever to do a U2 thing and tour just "This Is The Sea" with the same ensemble, I'd be first in line. Arguably a better album than anything U2 ever did (and is actually Bono's favorite album all time). There is no better concert opening than that Roddy Larimor trumpet solo leading into the wall of sound of Don't Bang the Drum.

Mike Scott has been more miss than hit since then and I actually cringe at some of his later stuff, but dayum, that album was brilliant. Wish I'd been at Glastonbury in 86 when they did the whole album, introduced Fisherman's Blues then had the incredible audacity to finish their encore with Purple Rain, substituting Wickham's fiddle for Prince's guitar.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This past summer I saw The Dixie Chicks at the XFinity Theatre. Was expecting 'okay' but they rocked the joint.

Also, I will put up Eddie Money. Saw him in Niagara Falls in 2000 and he was great. Knew every word. Thought he was going to be meh.

I went to see a band called Dead Show and another called Legion of Jerry. I grew up very inexperienced with Grateful Dead music but these band brings it every night.

Reaction Score
Neil Diamond last summer at Mohegan Sun. Got the tickets as a Christmas present for my wife last year and figured it would be a mixture of tolerable nostalgia and schlock. I knew--and liked--almost every single song, he sounded great, looked pretty damned good for his age and had a crack band. Almost 30 songs, too.

Unexpectedly great.

I had a similar experience back in 1985 or 1986. My girl friend, now my wife, was a big Neil Diamond fan. I was decidedly not. There was a radio station giveaway of free tickets to a show at the Civic Center, I called in and won. I was not looking forward to it, but I went. Pretty much had the same reaction you did. Aside from a few schlocky songs, it was a fine evening.

Reaction Score
In 1977 (78?) my girlfriend brought me to see Elton John. I like him but had no idea what an unbelievable live entertainer he was.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath in 1978 at NH Coliseum. Even though we had bought their first album, had no idea how good they would be live (young and endless energy from DLR).

A year of two later caught Devo at the Orpheum in Boston, thought it would be lame, but just incredibly good as a live act. Since then I've heard them complain about not liking the sound on early albums, they favored the a louder, rawer sound like on stage.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I had a similar experience back in 1985 or 1986. My girl friend, now my wife, was a big Neil Diamond fan. I was decidedly not. There was a radio station giveaway of free tickets to a show at the Civic Center, I called in and won. I was not looking forward to it, but I went. Pretty much had the same reaction you did. Aside from a few schlocky songs, it was a fine evening.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Poison.

I didn't like hair band music, didn't want to be there.

They totally rocked.

Still didn't like their music but was thoroughly entertained.

Reaction Score
Wayne Newton at the Stardust in Vegas. Like many others here, went in as schlock and hoped to have a few drinks/laughs. The guy sang, told standup, impressions, played piano, trumpet, guitar, drums. Gave bottles of champagne away to a bunch of tables. Probably one of those most entertaining 90 minute shows I've ever sat through.

Reaction Score
Umphreys Mcgee - little known jam band from Chicago. Kind of heavy, but so good.

Sigur Ros - The atmosphere they create is unparalleled.

Reaction Score
If you can catch John Fogerty live, do it he's amazing and I did not expect that at all.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When Huey Lewis and the News played at the Travelers Championship, Chris Berman got up on stage. He was not exactly unexpectedly good, but he did not have an awful singing voice.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Nobody takes the stage like the Waterboys. That Roddy Larimor trumpet intro, and then bam.

Slim Cessna's Auto Club are going to be in NYC on April 22. No matter what you may think of their brand of basically uncategorizable music, they put on an extremely entertaining show and have a pretty hard core fanbase that's very much into it. I've seen them twice now at small clubs where they barely fit on stage. Would love to see them in a medium sized venue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most fun live band that I've seen in the past few years...Pigeons Playing Ping Pong. If you have a chance to catch them, go - - unbelievable energy

Here's a clip:

Reaction Score
Saw Charlie Daniels this past fall in Torrington. Not surprised he was good as saw him in 1980s and really liked him but was shocked at how great he was at the age of 81.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
More recently, I caught Toto opening for Boz Scaggs and they were great. I would see them again as headliners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom