Most overrated NCAA tourney teams? Duke & Cuse | The Boneyard

Most overrated NCAA tourney teams? Duke & Cuse

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Analysis | No team is more overrated in more NCAA tournaments than Duke

But looking only at those more-than-one-seed upsets, Duke is tied with Oklahoma. Both schools have been upset by teams more than one seeding away the same number of times. On average, Duke is upset by teams that are 4.4 seedings worse than they are; Oklahoma by schools that are 5.3 seedings worse. Of the schools that have suffered the most upsets since 1985 (listed above), Syracuse has been upset the most consistently badly, being upset, on average, by schools that are 5.9 seedings worse.

Over time, Duke’s upsets have grown worse. The last four times they were upset were by teams that were at least four seedings worse than them.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Duke may be consistently overseeded, but it's tough to use the word "overrated" to describe a program with 5 titles and a dozen or so Final Fours.

Syracuse, though? Both overrated and overseeded seem to be accurate.
You're not overrated if you've won 5 titles. And recently too. Duke has consistently earned their seeds in a great conference.
If Duke is overrated, then what are we? :confused:

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's easy to always get "upset" when even your worst teams have their flaws overlooked in the name of talent, potential, and brand name every year and get gifted a 2 or 3 seed in off years without fail.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The Top 25 was up and down all year. Many upsets all year. In fact I recall Duke being #7 in the nation but not even 500 in their own conference. The Grayson suspension for 1 game was a joke. Or was it two. The big dogs are either losing or winning by a hair. Overrated? Seems like the 7,8,9 seeds are strong this year.Taking care of business.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You're not overrated if you've won 5 titles. And recently too. Duke has consistently earned their seeds in a great conference.
Yes Duke has won 5 titles and some rather recently
UConn has won 4 in last 20 years- that's where UConn is at this time
Duke has been consistently overseeded in the last 10 years
As far as great conference - I'll let the results of the past weekend and past years speak for themselves
Is Duke a great basketball tradition? Yes Is UConn? Hell Yes
Duke has had a huge advantage over UConn in recruiting, seeding advantages, "home court" tournament games and yet they have 5 and UConn 4

Reaction Score
You can probably put Kansas in that category too (sorry beakum). Lots of early round upsets & losses to lower seeds. On the other hand they're consistently up there as a 1 or 2 seed every other year it seems. Plus making the dance some 28 straight years (since 1990 I think) is a tremendous accomplishment.

Reaction Score

They've been to 11ish Final Fours since the field expanded to 64. That is crazy. I don't care whether they got gifted a home court, or were overseeded. That is a crazy high number and it is very tough to win 4 straight games against this type of competition and get to the FF.

They have also been a 1 seed about 13 times, which makes this writer's "upset" category pretty much the only way you can lose. Not super common that a 1 seed even gets to play a 2 seed in the elite 8 game.

Duke winning a championship isn't the worst thing in the world for UCONN. It holds our relative prestige against the rest of CBB and doesn't hurt our recruiting. Duke is going to have their pick of recruits whether they win or not. When a team like Villanova or Louisville wins, it puts them on the radar of recruits we may want to go after and increases that program's prestige.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I hate Cuse as much as the next guy (actually quite a bit more) but they have been pretty solid in the Tournament lately. We are certainly boom or bust and I'd take that every time, and Cuse fans would too, but I'd gather there aren't more than 10 programs with more success than them since 2009 (arbitrary cut off because we both made Sweet 16s that season).

Cuse
Sweet 16s (5) 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2016
Elite 8s (3) 2012, 2013, 2016
Final 4s (2) 2013, 2016

UConn
Sweet 16s (3) 2009, 2011, 2014
Elite 8s (3) 2009, 2011, 2014
Final 4s (3) 2009, 2011, 2014
Titles (2) 2011, 2014

Reaction Score
and there is something to be said about the fact that being in the tournament as a pretty high seed every year gives you more chances to be upset by a few seeds at least. Duke and Kansas definitely fall into that category, like I'm sure no one would choose 1 tournament berth and a lot of success over going there 9 times in 10 years and being upset in the first round a few times

Reaction Score
Yes Duke has won 5 titles and some rather recently
UConn has won 4 in last 20 years- that's where UConn is at this time
Duke has been consistently overseeded in the last 10 years
As far as great conference - I'll let the results of the past weekend and past years speak for themselves
Is Duke a great basketball tradition? Yes Is UConn? Hell Yes
Duke has had a huge advantage over UConn in recruiting, seeding advantages, "home court" tournament games and yet they have 5 and UConn 4
These are not small advantages. In 2016 alone Duke had #'s 1,3,10,16 and 44 recruits and it's every year pretty much. Our 4 titles dwarf their 5 in difficulty of achievement from that standpoint. They have good teams, get crazy publicity and hype constantly on ESPN which self perpetuates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom