Most outrageous UConn diss | The Boneyard

Most outrageous UConn diss

Reaction Score
A friend of mine saw this and sent it to me. Figured it was so funny I had to post it. It's an article from this past summer about Makai Ashton-Langford transferring to BC. I think it's from a BC writer on SI.com. Must have a vendetta against UConn. Nice try, dude.

Ashton-Langford, a 6-3 guard out of Worcester and the Brewer Academy in New Hampshire was the #38 ranked recruit in the entire country in 2017, and topped ranked recruit in the state of Massachusetts. He chose Providence that year over BC, Rhode Island, Louisville, VCU, St. Bonnie, and lesser schools like UConn.

Reaction Score
Somehow, BC lost 27 games in a row to a lesser school.

I should add that this diss doesn't rank anywhere near the one written up in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette after the 1999 championship game. It was the most outrageous thing I read in many years, because it said that Duke University didn't lose the game, because Duke University was not playing a team of student-athletes. How's that? Especially given Duke is the team with Brand, Burgess, Avery and a bunch of other guys who left school early, while UConn trotted out seniors and juniors. There was however a skin color difference between the two teams.

Reaction Score
Come on, you gotta admit that is funny that he singled out UConn as a lesser program to Rhode Island and the Bonnie's. Gold Jerry, pure Gold. The guy just put himself on the map in a "some guy" kind of way.

We were putrid for a couple of years, so he has an argument from a purely recency standpoint though.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Per the article, the writer AJ Black is ...
"Editor and Publisher of BC Maven. A Boston College graduate, and lifelong Eagles fan AJ has covered BC for the past seven years for SBNation site BC Interruption. AJ has been featured on various ESPN and Sirius Radio Shows. You can follow AJ on Twitter @AJBlack_SI"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whoever wrote this is a complete idiot.
However, by getting Makai, it allowed them to pick up his brother - a 4* 2020

Reaction Score
SI has decided to become the forbes.com/businessinsider.com of sports. I bet the guy writing the article gets paid $7 a month.
For real. It's a shame what has been done to SI.

Reaction Score
This made me laugh.

I am going to hijack here because this is where industry is right now.

I think you guys have to be prepared for even more of this type of writing. The SB Nation, Bleacher, Sports Illustrated (crying here) and I am betting our local media eventually, will become more user-generated content.

The biggest issue of digital publishers is that the ad rates you get just can't support quality writing. For example, when I used to do Athlon's Annual preview for UConn, it was $500 for about 800 words. Now? People write 1000 word screeds for free.

The game in digital media is getting as cheap a copy as possible, fill it with SEO best practices, and then make it viral to generate higher CPM's for the ad. The content and quality is irrelevant to the marketing of the content.

If you paid $10 for the content, and it made $50 or you paid $100 for the content and it made $120. What are you going to choose for a model? Especially if you are just looking to generate free cash out of the business and not interested in investing or building a brand.

You can't spend $100 a story anymore (what we used to get for AP freelancing of about 250 words) and hope to get any ROI on it. Check out CPM calculators.

There is no incentive in the market place for quality anymore, unless you got to a subscription site. That is why the athletic actually has no advertising on it. It' a great marketing tool, and, they decided it isn't worth the investment anyway. That's how bad digital advertising is.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Around 1986...original Boneyardin'. A poster screamed that UConn would go back to agricultural school oblivion of they didn't hire Mitch Buonaguro to be Dom Perno's replacement. That poster really scathed John Toner at the time. Often calling him a name that rhymes with Toner.

Reaction Score
Somehow, BC lost 27 games in a row to a lesser school.

I should add that this diss doesn't rank anywhere near the one written up in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette after the 1999 championship game. It was the most outrageous thing I read in many years, because it said that Duke University didn't lose the game, because Duke University was not playing a team of student-athletes. How's that? Especially given Duke is the team with Brand, Burgess, Avery and a bunch of other guys who left school early, while UConn trotted out seniors and juniors. There was however a skin color difference between the two teams.
When Uconn beat Duke I had been living in St Louis for awhile. The local sportswriter wrote about the improbable Duke loss instead of Uconn winning. All he said about Uconn was it was just a matter of time before a dominant Uconn program won. It was all Coach K and Trajon Langdon and how he would walk any road with Trajon Langdon. Blah blah blah. Shock the World!!!!

Reaction Score
Per the article, the writer AJ Black is ...
"Editor and Publisher of BC Maven. A Boston College graduate, and lifelong Eagles fan AJ has covered BC for the past seven years for SBNation site BC Interruption. AJ has been featured on various ESPN and Sirius Radio Shows. You can follow AJ on Twitter @AJBlack_SI"
Poor guy. He must be so insecure. BC has become a laughingstock since they left big east. Weren’t they the first power five school in history to go winless in conference play in both basketball and football a few years ago?

Reaction Score
Poor guy. He must be so insecure. BC has become a laughingstock since they left big east. Weren’t they the first power five school in history to go winless in conference play in both basketball and football a few years ago?

someone needs to print some shirts that read:

Boston College '16
Football: 0-8
Basketball 0-18

Reaction Score
1994 was the last time BC was somewhat relevant if memory serves me correct? I don't know, I was a little kid back then. Troy Bell was the last relevant college player but his teams did not do anything if I recall.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
1994 was the last time BC was somewhat relevant if memory serves me correct? I don't know, I was a little kid back then. Troy Bell was the last relevant college player but his teams did not do anything if I recall.
Weren’t they decent in the mid-2000s with Dudley and Company?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Their blackballing of us was effective and cot this state millions. On the other hand, I have to think having a regional opponent would have helped them considerably. Oh well I guess they are crying all the way to the bank.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
This made me laugh.

I am going to hijack here because this is where industry is right now.

I think you guys have to be prepared for even more of this type of writing. The SB Nation, Bleacher, Sports Illustrated (crying here) and I am betting our local media eventually, will become more user-generated content.

The biggest issue of digital publishers is that the ad rates you get just can't support quality writing. For example, when I used to do Athlon's Annual preview for UConn, it was $500 for about 800 words. Now? People write 1000 word screeds for free.

The game in digital media is getting as cheap a copy as possible, fill it with SEO best practices, and then make it viral to generate higher CPM's for the ad. The content and quality is irrelevant to the marketing of the content.

If you paid $10 for the content, and it made $50 or you paid $100 for the content and it made $120. What are you going to choose for a model? Especially if you are just looking to generate free cash out of the business and not interested in investing or building a brand.

You can't spend $100 a story anymore (what we used to get for AP freelancing of about 250 words) and hope to get any ROI on it. Check out CPM calculators.

There is no incentive in the market place for quality anymore, unless you got to a subscription site. That is why the athletic actually has no advertising on it. It' a great marketing tool, and, they decided it isn't worth the investment anyway. That's how bad digital advertising is.

I supported myself and my family as a writer for 15 years, and it was a substantial supplement to my income for another 20 or so. I backed away from it when health issues and especially the cost of being self-employed with health issues ate up my savings and forced and me to get a steady job. I always figured I'd go back to it when I retired. But in the meantime, the market has changed so much that I don't see the point in doing it. What used to be a $1200 a pop regular market for me is now mostly written in house, and the infrequent freelance piece in the same mag now pays about $200. Others that were $500 to $1000 a pop mostly aren't even in the print pub business any longer, or if they are, they don't want a 1000 word article any more. 500 words and a bunch of product placement pics is it, and they'll pay "up to $50" for it. I wonder how any print pubs are surviving, even paying those kind of rates. The action is now online, and there are too many guys willing to do it for exposure, and the opportunity to plug their "sponsors".
You don't have to be able to actually write, and you don't need to do any research. Take some pics, maybe shoot a little video clip to go with it, and regurgitate the same thing everyone else is writing.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
There was however a skin color difference between the two teams.

I was with you until the last sentence. The Duke starting five that year were Shane Battier, Trajan Langdon, Elton Brand, William Avery and Chris Carrawell.

Corey Maggette, Nate James and Chris Burgess were their top three bench guys.

Burgess is the only white man in the bunch.

What are you talking about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom