Most obnoxious and toxic fan bases | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most obnoxious and toxic fan bases

Reaction Score
as a tiny private school duke's only fans should be alumni or people that live in durham. anyone else is an obnoxious wannabe/bandwagon jumper. the absolute worstttt of the worst are the non-alumni fans that tout the academics and low acceptance rate etc as if that matters to the bball team at all my god make it stop.

edit- same goes for non-alumi notre dame football fans
Duke has tons of bandwagoners who haven’t been within 1000 miles of their campus, and do have an elitist aura to them, but not really all that toxic.

Meanwhile PC fans are ready to throw Chinese stars at you if you wear a UConn shirt at the Dunk. They’re an angry bunch.

Reaction Score
MTV's "Jersey Shore". Anyone remember it? A bunch of Yankee fans rent a house in Seaside Heights. Truly, the cream of humanity there.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Every team's fans cheer the team and follow closer when they're good. They do it less so when they're bad, but still follow the team. The obnoxious and toxic fan groups still insist they're good, if not the best, when they're mediocre or worse. On top of that, they bad mouth better teams and downplay the opponents success even while their team struggles.

Under that definition I don't think Pats fans qualify (Disclaimer: I am one, though it's my second team). The fans support them still, but they're waiting for the new coaches to show something as the team develops. Sure, the fans were full of themselves for 20 years...but the team kind of earned that, didn't they?

Now, a side story. It was 1987 and Notre Dame had just lost their second game of the season to Penn St., after earlier losing to Pitt. I was sitting in a bar with a fellow resident, a die hard ND fan, having a beer and getting set to watch the Miami game that year. He literally spent 30 minutes going through all manner of intellectual gymnastics on how ND could still win the national championship. I could not convince him that they were done, that the PSU game had sunk their chances no matter what, and if there was any infinitessimally small chance it would be over after playing #2 Miami. He wouldn't hear it. Nope, ND could still win it all!

Miami won 24-0. So, yeah, I'll go with Notre Dame, and the Philly Eagles fans.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
To an extent. Is he a Giants/Yankees fan, I wonder? If so does he tend to recite “27 championships!” to all who will listen?
I’m a suffering Jets fan lol, however I have no hate for NE because they were pretty irrelevant when I was growing up. The Dolphins tho!

Reaction Score
Since we are sharing Philly stories,

My uncle by marriage is from South Jersey which means he’s a fan of Philly sports ie the Eagles. Season ticket holder for as long as I can remember. His wife, my aunt, is a cowboys fan (don’t know why).

He usually goes to games with friends, but one night he brought her when it happened to be a Cowboys game. She wore her Romo jersey. Why he let her do that, I don’t know. Maybe he figured his being an obvious Eagles fan would shield her at least from what happened to her. Keep in mind of course she’s not even that into football and wasn’t doing any cheering for the Cowboys or against the Eagles; she certainly had the sense to avoid doing that.

To my uncle’s avail, some guy sitting behind my aunt upended a beer onto her head. My uncle grabbed him and threw him down a few rows of seats and went down to beat his face in. Security came in and apparently broke it up quickly. He almost lost his season tickets over that.

“Misunderstood” lmao

Reaction Score
I’m a suffering Jets fan lol, however I have no hate for NE because they were pretty irrelevant when I was growing up. The Dolphins tho!
A lot of the gusto has gone out of the rivalry with many of the main players retired or having moved on to tv or whatnot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only time a troll upsets me is when I fear for their mental health. Someone losing touch with reality is a scary .
So @kobe...

Reaction Score
Lol the "27" thing is getting pretty funny at this point, with only one title this millennium.
Agreed. It’s like Kentucky touting all their Nattys most of which were won pre 1960 and in a playoff system with 16 or 32 teams competing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom