Most Legendary Coaches? | The Boneyard

Most Legendary Coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The excitement of the BE tournament this year calls to mind exciting tournaments of the past .. and the legendary coaches involved. There were many, so many that I wonder if the BE leads by a wide margin in this category, or if this is just my BE bias showing.

Calhoun, Thompson, Boeheim, Carnesecca, Massimino, Carlesimo, Pitino (multiple times). Meyer and Maguire if you go to BE additions. Wright and Hurley if we can assume recent coaches to be legendary.

Even with some blue blood schools having multiple legendary coaches, like Kentucky or UNC, it seems to me that no other conference comes close to the amount of legendary coaches that we have had.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
The excitement of the BE tournament this year calls to mind exciting tournaments of the past .. and the legendary coaches involved. There were many, so many that I wonder if the BE leads by a wide margin in this category, or if this is just my BE bias showing.

Calhoun, Thompson, Boeheim, Carnesecca, Massimino, Carlesimo, Pitino (multiple times). Meyer and Maguire if you go to BE additions. Wright and Hurley if we can assume recent coaches to be legendary.

Even with some blue blood schools having multiple legendary coaches, like Kentucky or UNC, it seems to me that no other conference comes close to the amount of legendary coaches that we have had.

Thoughts?
Technically AL McGuire was not a BE coach. Neither was Ray Meyer. His son Joey may have been a BE, coach, however I think he was gone when DePaul entered the BE. The ACC did have several legendary coaches.
Coach K, Dean Smith, Lefty Drisell, Frank McGuire (at both UNC, & South Carolina) OH yes in the 70's South Carolina was in ACC, Jim Valvano, @ N.C. St.
I am guessing that you meant legendary coach at about the same time. If so, then I would agree with you that the Big East did have a long list of coaches who were all together at one time.

Reaction Score
Technically AL McGuire was not a BE coach. Neither was Ray Meyer. His son Joey may have been a BE, coach, however I think he was gone when DePaul entered the BE. The ACC did have several legendary coaches.
Coach K, Dean Smith, Lefty Drisell, Frank McGuire (at both UNC, & South Carolina) OH yes in the 70's South Carolina was in ACC, Jim Valvano, @ N.C. St.
I am guessing that you meant legendary coach at about the same time. If so, then I would agree with you that the Big East did have a long list of coaches who were all together at one time.
in the ACC - also Bobby Cremins at GT who was part of the NYC pipeline for Frank McGuire at SC (who left St. John's to coach at UNC)

Reaction Score
in the ACC - also Bobby Cremins at GT who was part of the NYC pipeline for Frank McGuire at SC (who left St. John's to coach at UNC)
Was GT in ACC or SEC when Cremins was coach. Back in the 70's, SC, GT, Clemson, bounced back and forth between ACC and SEC. I do recall that Cremins did play under Frank McGuire @ SC. Little known fact was that SC team was, at one time, ranked #1, but because they lost the ACC tournament, they did not even make the big dance, that year. Talk about being screwed over big time. This was a common practice for ACC and SEC teams back then.

Reaction Score
Was GT in ACC or SEC when Cremins was coach. Back in the 70's, SC, GT, Clemson, bounced back and forth between ACC and SEC. I do recall that Cremins did play under Frank McGuire @ SC. Little known fact was that SC team was, at one time, ranked #1, but because they lost the ACC tournament, they did not even make the big dance, that year. Talk about being screwed over big time. This was a common practice for ACC and SEC teams back then.
good thought - Cremins graduated in '70

SC became a founding member of the Atlantic Coast Conference in 1953. The Gamecocks officially withdrew from the ACC on June 30, 1971,[7] the result of football head coach Paul Dietzel opposing a conference rule that required a minimum 800 Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score when awarding athletic scholarships.[8] USC then competed as an independent until 1983 when it joined the Metro Conference for all sports except football (which the Metro did not sponsor) and men's soccer. In 1991, the Gamecocks joined the Southeastern Conference when it increased its membership to 12 schools and split into two divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom