Most Impressive Play of the Game | The Boneyard

Most Impressive Play of the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me it was when Graham Stewart ran down the Army QB who was on his way to a TD. (Doesn't matter that the play was thankfully negated by an Army holding penalty.) The Army QB broke clear and was absolutely going to score and make things dicey for us. But Stewart never gave up and the big, tough LB showed not only impressive closing speed but a relentless desire to make the stop. If you missed it, watch it on replay and you'll see what I mean. That play also tells us a lot about this team's attitude toward finishing. In practice, Diaco keeps track of "loafing plays" where receivers don't finish their routes and defensive players stop their pursuit. Attention to that detail is clearly paying off.

Reaction Score
Stewart had a good game. We will need more of them AAC level is up.

Reaction Score
For me it was when Shirreffs broke free of the pressure in the pocket to avoid a sack while an Army defender was hanging on him (I think it was the 2nd qtr). He side stepped a few other defenders when he took off with the ball to get the first down. It was a great play but more importantly it's great to have a QB that can get himself out of trouble from time to time when the heat shows up. That's going to be huge for us this year.

Reaction Score
For me it was when Shirreffs broke free of the pressure in the pocket to avoid a sack while an Army defender was hanging on him (I think it was the 2nd qtr). He side stepped a few other defenders when he took off with the ball to get the first down. It was a great play but more importantly it's great to have a QB that can get himself out of trouble from time to time when the heat shows up. That's going to be huge for us this year.

That was the exact play I was thinking of. That play was the essence of why we are already a better team with a mobile QB. He extends drives. We absolutely killed TOP yesterday...and that will be important going forward when we are playing better teams. Call me crazy, but I think Mizzou is a winnable game if we play well on both sides of the ball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who was that out in the flat early on, Marriner or Newsome? He had to beat one guy and he's off to the races. Love to see us make guys miss, haven't seen enough of that in recent years.

Reaction Score
I thought the Thomas Lucas 3rd down catch in our second drive was fairly spectacular and clutch. Very early tone setter.

Reaction Score
Who was that out in the flat early on, Marriner or Newsome? He had to beat one guy and he's off to the races. Love to see us make guys miss, haven't seen enough of that in recent years.

Mariner

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Joseph's run stop early in the first quarter. Set the tone. Absolutely smacked their RB, NFL-quality tackle.

Reaction Score
The separation Lucas got on that post route in the Third. The pass was short, but i saw our WR get on top of the man corners all day. On this play he toasted the CB.

I wish Geremy Davis could have played with Sherriffs. I also hope we run some 3 WR sets next week.

Reaction Score
love watching Shirreefs wiggling away for the rush and getting positive yards. Reminds me of Lorenzen but with better passing abilities already. Great to think we have him for two more years. Shore up the Oline over the next year and with the young receivers and backs, the future is bright. Lets GOOOOO

Reaction Score
Marriner made the kid miss bad. Nice play. Nice to be able to mix and match the RB's.

Reaction Score
That was the exact play I was thinking of. That play was the essence of why we are already a better team with a mobile QB. He extends drives. We absolutely killed TOP yesterday...and that will be important going forward when we are playing better teams. Call me crazy, but I think Mizzou is a winnable game if we play well on both sides of the ball.
Coming in to the season UConn had a single digit percent chance of winning. That's probably around 10-20% now with missouri struggling this week and UConn showing promise on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
Coming in to the season UConn had a single digit percent chance of winning. That's probably around 10-20% now with missouri struggling this week and UConn showing promise on both sides of the ball.

I agree but I'm hoping for about a 30-40% chance of pulling it out. If Mizzou makes a few mistakes..... Anything can happen.

Reaction Score

I agree

Reaction Score
I agree but I'm hoping for about a 30-40% chance of pulling it out. If Mizzou makes a few mistakes..... Anything can happen.

The first step is winning the turnover battle. The second step is controlling time of possession. The third step is to pressure Mizzou and not give up any big plays. If we do those three things, I think UConn has more than a fair shot of winning the game. Having a mobile quarterback absolutely has changed the dynamic of how we play football, and for the most part, I feel like we have been decent in protecting the ball. Anything can happen...

Reaction Score
For me it was when Graham Stewart ran down the Army QB who was on his way to a TD. (Doesn't matter that the play was thankfully negated by an Army holding penalty.) The Army QB broke clear and was absolutely going to score and make things dicey for us. But Stewart never gave up and the big, tough LB showed not only impressive closing speed but a relentless desire to make the stop. If you missed it, watch it on replay and you'll see what I mean. That play also tells us a lot about this team's attitude toward finishing. In practice, Diaco keeps track of "loafing plays" where receivers don't finish their routes and defensive players stop their pursuit. Attention to that detail is clearly paying off.

Yup... no problem with the angle he took there, eh?

Another was Campenni's TFL on Bradshaw on 3rd and 1.

Reaction Score
How about the play where Obi stayed home and dropped the QB for a loss way out in the Flat. He was also involved in the Army TD highlight when the ball when through his hands but like Diaco said he had no problem with the effort. I know there was a lot of cursing in our section 123 when that play occurred. We were all hoping to extend the lead a little to make it a statement game. A win is a win. Things will get better! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
How about the play where Obi stayed home and dropped the QB for a loss way out in the Flat. He was also involved in the Army TD highlight when the ball when through his hands but like Diaco said he had no problem with the effort. I know there was a lot of cursing in our section 123 when that play occurred. We were all hoping to extend the lead a little to make it a statement game. A win is a win. Things will get better! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tremendous play.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought the catch that Lucas or Thomas made, can't remember which on made it, that was called back because of a penalty in the third quarter I believe. It was one hell of a catch and I believe it was on third down. My memory is a little fuzzy which is sad because it was less then 24 hours ago!

Reaction Score
You are all wrong. The play of the game was Beal's prolonged block sealing off the left sideline as Thomas ran down it. Unbelievable block for anyone, much less a true freshman WR. That young man is going to be a player.

Reaction Score
You are all wrong. The play of the game was Beal's prolonged block sealing off the left sideline as Thomas ran down it. Unbelievable block for anyone, much less a true freshman WR. That young man is going to be a player.

TB.jpg

Stephen Slade

Last edited:
Reaction Score

GS.jpg

Stephen Slade

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members