Most dominant? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most dominant?

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Yard! Toss up for me between Jamelle Elliott and Tina Charles.

Reaction Score
I think the interesting thing about racking your brain to answer this question is the realization of how few real bruiser wide body type players we have had over the years, considering Uconn's overall success. I suspect some of that is because our bigs are relatively skilled, expected to be able to run the floor well, and are also expected to be good passers and facilitators in the offense.

A low post one dimensional banger type that is a black hole on offense, trying to use their bulk to power in for fairly close shots every time they get the ball is generally not recruited here. Some can combine those low post physical skills with other basketball skills and be a well rounded team player (Boston at SC comes to mind), but those players are pretty rare.

Reaction Score
As noted above the wording of the question is critical to whom to chose. If we are talking a beast inside, "owning the paint' on both ends of the court, Tina in her junior and senior years would be my choice. She won many battles during those two years against very dominant opponents. Kara Wolters was a beast for sure, but I am not as familiar with her game as I am Tina's. In a few years, Edwards will very likely be in the conversation for physical dominance over her UCONN career.

As far as the most dominant player day in and day out I have to go with Maya. She was the best player on the floor, from the first day she stepped onto it in a UCONN uniform. There were many games, where if you look at her stats, they were not overly impressive, but even during those occasions she was still the focus of the opposing coach's defensive strategy and key to Geno's game plan. She could put the team on her back and just will them back from a deficit with what is still the prettiest rise and release in the game or come from nowhere to get a put back or slap an opponents 'uncontested lay up' into the seats. She seemingly had the ability to just flip a switch and takeover a game at any given time, instilling confidence in her team and shattering that of their opponent. She didn't do any of this to feed her ego but simply to win. And that she did, from high school through her four championships with the Lynx.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are a number of really good answers to the question posed by our newest OP. As soon as I read it, the one image that came to mind was Steph flattening an opponent with one of her patented blindside screens.

A couple years back, during a USA-Canada exhibition, a young Aaliyah Edwards was hit by a truck masquerading as one of Steph’s screens. To Aaliyah’s credit, she bounced right back up, a little wiser for the encounter.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom