Most Disappointing Semi Loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most Disappointing Semi Loss

Reaction Score
I was at both the '17 and '18 games, and it they both were exceptionally painful. However, in 2018 I had moved down from the upper level to the lower bowl for the overtime, and was standing in the portal entrance and watched A.O. from behind shoot that dagger in OT. The moment it left her hand, I told Mrs. Gigio the shot was going in. It seemed like eternity, but...We immediately left the arena, so as not to witness any celebration! Very poor sports, I know. I still have nightmares over that shot! side note: I take full responsibility for both the losses, and vow to never go to a final four again!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Notre Dame in 2001. UConn was LOADED. And had 15 pt lead at the half. Total second half collapse, though Ruth Riley played great. Taurasi was something like 2 for 15, but being DT, she kept on shooting...
This one for me. Not the most surprising, but being up 15 at the half and not finishing it with that really good team, hurt.

Reaction Score
2001 for me. My dislike for the Irish began with those first five minutes of the second half with how fast and furious they came back from that halftime deficit. Looking back, ND that season just had way more better chemistry amongst each other then UCONN even with everyone they had.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2018 is the most depressed I've seen the board in my 17ish years here. I recall in the off-season I put up a poll for how well fans thought UCONN would do in 2017-18 and majority were expecting an undefeated season coming off a near undefeated run and adding in Stevens and the #1 recruit, Megan Walker. The season was almost a carbon copy of 2017, cruising to the semis undefeated and then losing on an iconic buzzer beater.

In 2017 a lot of people were happy for Vic and seemed more okay with finally losing after 4 straight titles, especially after seeing Geno smile after the loss and seemingly be okay with the moment. Plus everyone was coming back in 2018 so the thought was UCONN had it on lock the next season.

In the 2018 semi, it was markedly different--no one was happy for Muffet, Geno was visibly defeated after the loss and two fan favorite seniors ended their career with back to back brutal final four losses and neither played their best game in the semis. Wasn't the storybook ending fans hoped they'd receive.

2018 was a rough combination of:
-preseason expectations
-how UCONN lost
-who they lost to
-which seniors were leaving
-having experienced the exact same feeling a year prior

Reaction Score
Have you guys already forgotten this year’s game? What disappointed me is that Christyn said they overlooked Arizona. How do you overlook a Final Four team?

“I think we came out with the wrong mentality,” Christyn Williams admitted. “I thought we thought it was going to be easy, I guess, and we got flustered.”

Kind of new at this since I wasn't watching before 2018-2019. Have been watching a lot of old UCONN games on YouTube recently (can't wait for November 14th). Knowing the eventual outcome of some of the NCAA Tournament disappointments kind of eases the pain of watching.
It seem to me that the history of excellence on Planet Husky causes the fans (I include myself ) to look for "villains" when things don't turn out the way we want.
I mean, NOBODY should be expected to actually beat our gals. So, it stands to reason that THEY don't really WIN, WE must have failed somehow.
The Arizona debacle is a perfect example. Liv didn't do this, CW didn't do that, why did Geno have his head up his hindquarters, so forth and so on.
The painful truth is that the Wildcats outplayed, out hustled, out shot and out coached the Huskies that night. This wasn't getting beat on a last second foul or non call. No buzzer beater.
While confidence and even a bit of swagger can sustain a really talented group like the 2020-2021 team, when a set of relatively young and untried players comes up against an unfamiliar set of circumstances and find themselves being frustrated and outmatched they just don't have the mental/emotional toughness to soldier through it and adjust their game.
Glad we have so many non-conference games against difficult opponents on the schedule this year (hopefully they won't be cancelled).
So, as much as Christyn's comment might grate on our nerve endings, it was not an easy thing for her to admit.
Perhaps a photo of the Arizona post-game, on court celebration with the quote "We thought it would be easy" should be hung next to all the championship trophies or banners.
Although I don't doubt that the game will be reviewed by the whole team, including the 3 freshmen & Dorka.
Just a thought.
P.S.: Something that can be worked on is the number of points left out there on the court last season.
I'm referring to all the missed free throws.I'm sure the statistitians amongst us can show how there are other Division 1 teams that had a lower percentage than us, but we have to be able to put 65- 75% of uncontested shots in the basket from the free throw line if we want to be a serious contender.
Can't expect anyone to make them all, but CUMMON!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom